Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

A Nebraska Guy Going to Marco Island

I am from Omaha, Nebraska and will be visiting Marco Island Florida at the end of May. My parents and my wife are going on this trip. I am very excited about the trip and been fresh water fishing my whole life with limited salt water experience. My dad has never been salt water fishing and he is 76. He has always dreamed of it. I want this to be a trip of a life time for my dad. I have been doing a ton of research on saltwater fishing and Marco Island to prepare for this trip. We have rented a 24-foot center console fishing boat. Can anyone recommend the type of line to put on a medium and heavy spinning reels? I feel to prepare for this trip I need to learn about catching bait. Can anyone recommend any tips on catching bait at the end of May? What type of structure that holds bait inshore or offshore? Can bait be caught of the docks in Marco Island. What kind of bait is available that time of year? Do pin fish traps work? I will be bringing a cast net. I really appreciate any feedback. This has been a learning experience. I can answer a ton questions on fresh water fishing, duck, goose, turkey, elk, and deer hunting but I am not sure what line to use salt water fishing. Pretty humbling.

Thanks,

Dave

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,882 Admiral
    Have you ever been down here before.
    I live here..just wantin to know..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • nicehonkerznicehonkerz Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    One time about five years ago in October. I fell in love with the place. Have wanted to go back ever since. Flew into Fort Meyers rented a boat and drove across the gulf to Marco Island in 6 foot rollers. I have been walleye fishing in big water but nothing like that. It was windy and rained a ton. We were not able to fish any off shore on that trip. We caught some fish inshore. Had a heck of a time catching any bait. We had a hard time finding a place even to buy bait. We spent most of the trip trying to figure out how to fish the tide. I am sure we looked like we were from Nebraska.
    [QUOTE=nicehonkerz;. I am sure we looked like we were from Nebraska. :rotflmao

I'll hook you up....for pops.
    Every man deserves a big fish once in his life. PM me when your getting close and I'll take you out one morning into the Far Backcountry.
    If you buy me a beer I'll give you the inside scoop for the rest of the time your here..
    But keep me posted cause I go to my Hunting Camp a lot that time of year.
    Ed
    oh...20 and 30 pound Braid works real well. 40 pound mono leader, 345 circle hooks , popping corks..weighted, paramid sinkers 123 ozs
  • NJ TarponNJ Tarpon Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    [QUOTE=nicehonkerz;. I am sure we looked like we were from Nebraska. :rotflmao

I'll hook you up....for pops.
    Every man deserves a big fish once in his life. PM me when your getting close and I'll take you out one morning into the Far Backcountry.
    If you buy me a beer I'll give you the inside scoop for the rest of the time your here..
    But keep me posted cause I go to my Hunting Camp a lot that time of year.
    Ed

That is a great gesture, I'll be on Marco around that time, would like to buy you a beer.
    Make it 2 St. Paulies and we got a deal...:cool:
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Your a good egg Terror. Nice as it gets closer I will try to help you on the offshore side. Should be lots to do around that time, and just like Terror, I'm all about helping Pops get his big fish. ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • NJ TarponNJ Tarpon Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Will PM once am down there.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 296 Deckhand
    There are good people down here. Best of luck with the trip.
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    I am going to PM you. Nebraska has blessed me with some great out of state deer hunting so if I can help out a Nebraskan I'm happy to do so. Give me a day or 2 and I will PM some helpful info.
    Turner River, Thanks for the help! I will send a PM. I will buy around of beers or two. Do you use a barrel swivel to connect the braid to the leader?

FLTXhunter, Nebraska has some great deer, turkey, and duck & goose hunting. I am glad you have had good luck deer hunting in Nebraska. I am very blessed to live 15 minutes from great deer hunting. But no gulf. What part of the state did you hunt?
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    honkerz,
    I hunt in the NW part of the state for Mulies. Harvested a real personal trophy this last year on a solo, diy hunt that required a hell of a lot of effort...a beautiful non-typical 6x6 who now resides in my freezer and on my office wall. I'm a big duck, goose and turkey hunter too (I live in Illinois now---and lived on Marco from 2000-2007). My turkey season here kicks off in just under a month. Was driving the wife crazy yesterday wailing on the old mouth calls!
    I haven't forgotten about you and PMing you some good Marco fishing info. Just been real busy with work. I know you have some time, so I will get it over by the weekend. Talk soon.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    oh...20 and 30 pound Braid works real well. 40 pound mono leader, 345 circle hooks , popping corks..weighted, paramid sinkers 123 ozs

That is ALL business right there.

Not sure how your casting will work with a 123 ounce sinker, not sure I have seen a 123 ounce sinker before.:wink
    Headed to Marco Island this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help and feedback.