Offshore Sebastian Inlet -- Exploration Fishing

After spending the night camping with the South Florida Kayak Fishing Club at Long Point Camp Grounds, I awaked around 7 am to a comfortable dry surprisingly bug free climate. I hopped in my truck and headed to the local fishing store (Whitey’s) to possibly ask for some advice. There was a long line of customers waiting to buy shrimp. Seeing that it was going to take too long, I got back in my truck to scout for a good place to launch off the beach. I investigated some beach areas North and South of the Inlet which had free parking along the road, but the waves were big. The best location as recommended was next to the South Inlet Jetty. The area had very small waves because the Inlet’s jetty break waters block the sea and swell from the North. Inlet State Park parking was $4 which was well worth the it to avoid the risk of flipping in the surf.

After waiting awhile to see if any of the other South Florida Kayak Fishing Club members wanted to join me, I launched solo off the beach around 930am. The area around the Jetty is known to have fantastic fishing and was lined with fishermen. It would have been ideal to try to fish this area just out of the casting range of the jetty fishermen, but the waters were turbulent. There is a large sand bar just south of the Inlet that had frequent of waves breaking on it, and the current was setting 1kt towards it. It was a situation where one would have spent more time avoiding hazards than fishing, so the safest move was to get out of this area. I headed North ¾ of a mile off the beach in about 40-45ft of water. As I peddled, I slow trolled a yozuri crystal minnow on one rod, and a 1 oz USB shrimp on another, while casting and retrieving a Gotcha lure. Although I missed a couple of strikes, I had no luck on the artificial lures. I metered a lot of schools of bait, and easily blacked out my hobie livewell multiple times with pilchards and a few herring, croakers and small weakfish.

Predator fish were quick to attack the bait loaded sabikis as I reeled them up -- loosing 3 rigs during the course of the day. After filling up the live well, I slow trolled 1 pilchard on the surface, and 1 just off the bottom with a downrigger while continuing to cast and retrieve the Gotcha lure. It was steady action on sharks striking the live baits. I caught sharks all day long, and even had a double strike. I worked my way 2 miles North of the inlet, and fished for a little while off a house with 3 half round roofs. The beaches were lined with surf fishermen -- never seen so many. I tried to fish in shallower, but there was a pretty good swell building in towards the beach, and I did not feel comfortable going in any shallower than 30ft. I spent the whole day offshore hoping to find a black drum, redfish or flounder, Instead I caught small croaker, weakfish, lizard fish and sharks. It was steady action, just not what I was hoping for, so I headed in around 5:30pm.

Replies

• davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    John, we passed you on our way back in from offshore about 4ish. Sorry to hear it was slow. Those fish on your sabiki look like horn bellies which we typically throw back due to my buddy swearing they are junk baits and nothing eats them. I know Tarpon will hit em though. At least the weather was nice and its always to get out and wet a line. Sorry I couldnt join.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    John, I will have to let you know when the water cleans up and the fishing is better. You will have to make another trip up. Yes we have a ton of sharks up here now.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,807 Captain
    davederb wrote: »
    Those fish on your sabiki look like horn bellies which we typically throw back due to my buddy swearing they are junk baits and nothing eats them. I know Tarpon will hit em though. At least the weather was nice and its always to get out and wet a line. Sorry I couldnt join.

There were some sardines mixed in, but the majority were Atlantic Bumper -- had never caught them prior to the trip...I guess horn bellies is their slang name. They did have some spikes on their belly area. I don't see them any less palatable than a pin fish, but what do I know about fishing Sebastian -- I need to make another trip up there. Several of the other kayaks that fished inshore did the drift through the inlet at slack tide with various baits on the bottom with no luck. It was a nice day on the water...maybe next time will have better luck. Thanks again for all the good advice prior to making the trip up there.
    John, I will have to let you know when the water cleans up and the fishing is better. You will have to make another trip up. Yes we have a ton of sharks up here now.

Hi Pete, Appreciated all the pre fishing information, and I look forward to hearing about when the fishing is better -- Thanks !
  • RickysreefRickysreef Posts: 394 Officer
    Jonh we should do the keys next time man!
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 554 Officer
    Great read and pics John. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Great day John! Sorry you didn't catch more of what you wanted!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Could be worse, you could have been skunked, at least the sharks kept you entertained as you explored a new region.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Could be worse, you could have been skunked, at least the sharks kept you entertained as you explored a new region.

The sharks did give me something to pull on and kept me entertained. It was not that bad, just not what I hoped for...maybe later in the season.
  • kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Appreciate the detailed report and all the pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rickysreef wrote: »
    Jonh we should do the keys next time man!

Set it up, I'm game.