Haulover to Bimini - day trip

Its been awhile since I posted.....yes, I have been going fishing but not as much because of windy weather conditions. I should have posted but was a little lazy - In reading some other reports I felt bad in not doing so. The forum has been great and I have met some good friends through it. If everyone posted more of their trips we could make this forum great again. No matter your catch, please post! There is no bad day of fishing, outside not going at all. Please post your fishing trips even if you might not think it is the best....we all have those days when Plan A, B, C, etc do not work out. Remember - it is called fishing, not catching.

Anyway, I got a case of Wahoo fever after making a trip with a friend from the Sailfish club (more on this in this report) to Bimini. We caught 4 nice Wahoo and just had a great time overall.

But I had this thing about getting a Wahoo trip to Bimini in on my Bay Boat.... Weather to go to Bimini this time of year is tough for a boat of my size (22' Bay Boat), but I was determined. I kept an eye on weather conditions and decided to go Thursday, March 3rd. Unfortunately the weather did not pan out as forecasted (which was 5-10 SE winds, with 2' seas) but it was not bad enough to abort. We took our time to get there and picked up a Skipjack Tuna on the way over. Could have caught many more, but reminded myself - FOCUS! Focus was arriving in Bimini and catch a Wahoo.

It took awhile to cross, clear customs, and immigrations - we did not start fishing until around 11:00am. Unfortunately we missed the best tide (outgoing) and also the moon phase was not the best....but we took a stab anyway and landed a Wahoo about 30 minutes into the troll. I wanted my wife to reel in this beautiful specimen of a fish, but it took a lot of encouragement for her to keep reeling to get the fish to the boat. For those of you that have not done this type of fishing - High Speed trolling with heavy lures and weight, while keeping the boat moving at a decent pace - cannot appreciate the effort it takes to get the fish to the boat. We did and the result was

Next we trolled up a Cuda and then missed a strike (peeled of line, but got off). We continued to troll another hour with nothing....

Daylight was burning and the plan was to return to Haulover the same day so it was time to hit the Yellowtail. They fortunately cooperated quickly, but a pesky Cuda took his share and resulted in us not hitting the limit (again limited in time to make it back to Haulover before it got too dark). But we were both happy

On the way back saw a large school of Tuna which we trolled through....got two hits and both times bit of my feather with the hook (I use daisy chains that I make myself). Unfortunately lost both fish and I was out of time to meet the promise to my wife not too return too late.

Arrived back to Haulover around 6:45pm.

Best of all, my wife does not get seasick anymore. She used to have problems before, but they went away with frequent fishing trip and now I can take my wife fishing even when the ocean is not a lake.

Go fishing.....catch them up, or at least try!

**Join us at the Sailfish club, meeting every 3rd Thursday at Flanigan's in Davie at 7:00pm**
2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Way to go finding the fish.Those day
    trips make for a long day.
  • T-LUV2T-LUV2 Posts: 389 Officer
    Good job Tomm! That made for some delicious meals!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 276 Deckhand
    Great trip and thank you for the report!
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Excellent trip and your are spot on about reporting!
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Ok Tomm you shamed me into reporting my fishing trip.went yesterday and got skunked. LOL. We HST for a while with nothing. Went to 850 foe fins as we heard reports they were picking up a few but nada foe us. Went in about 200 as buddy had to go to dinner with some friends.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,466 Captain
    dpdash wrote: »
    Excellent trip and your are spot on about reporting!

I agree with Doug, always enjoy your reports and pics Tomm.

I made it down to Port Everglades from Boynton Thursday prospecting. The weather and water was perfect. In fact, I thought if I were inclined to go to Bimini or even West End, it would have been totally doable in my boat, a 22' ft. CC - Beautiful day! Congrats.
    You're wife is a cutie too. :) Congrats to her for pulling in that beautiful Wahoo.

Pura Vida!
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 438 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
  • lucluc Posts: 245 Officer
    Nice day! Way to go for it and bring home the meat. Next time stay a night in bimini will ya.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 847 Officer
    awesome job and report!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Awesome work Tomm. We haven't been out since Christmas. Finally made an attempt today. I'm not as brave as a lot of folks. Conditions were just a bit too rough for my bay boat.

How you liking that trolling motor? MK Riptide ulterra?
  • TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
    I agree with Doug, always enjoy your reports and pics Tomm.

I made it down to Port Everglades from Boynton Thursday prospecting. The weather and water was perfect. In fact, I thought if I were inclined to go to Bimini or even West End, it would have been totally doable in my boat, a 22' ft. CC - Beautiful day! Congrats.
    You're wife is a cutie too. :) Congrats to her for pulling in that beautiful Wahoo.

Thank you :-) Yes, my wife is definitely a keeper!
    luc wrote: »
    Nice day! Way to go for it and bring home the meat. Next time stay a night in bimini will ya.

I wish I could have, as I could have probably done well the next morning on the precious outgoing tide....but just could not miss work on Friday as I had too much going on.
    pk911 wrote: »
    Ok Tomm you shamed me into reporting my fishing trip.went yesterday and got skunked. LOL. We HST for a while with nothing. Went to 850 foe fins as we heard reports they were picking up a few but nada foe us. Went in about 200 as buddy had to go to dinner with some friends.

That happens to all of us...

How you liking that trolling motor? MK Riptide ulterra?[/QUOTE]

The trolling motor is awesome....The Auto/Remote deploy spot anchor function is fantastic. It makes anchoring and most importantly precise anchoring so much easier as well as safer. Well worth the money!

• Perez3611Perez3611 Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Tomm Thanks for your reports, please keep posting. I will promise to start posting as well I admit, we really don't catch a lot of fish like many other people here.

I always go out by Haulover and always keep looking for a 22' Sea Hunt bay boat to at least say HI, but no luck my friend.
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    /quote

The trolling motor is awesome....The Auto/Remote deploy spot anchor function is fantastic. It makes anchoring and most importantly precise anchoring so much easier as well as safer. Well worth the money

/quote

Thanks for the feedback. I've got the ipilot already and it competely changed the way i fish the flats. Been contemplating an upgrade. Love the fact i can operate it completely without my lazy a$$ having to get up to deploy, adjust. And i wouldn't mind being that guy at the ramp who has hit boat come to him dockside. ��
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Officer
    solid work!
  • corriccorric Posts: 148 Officer
    Great srory! Keep it up! Good dinners to come.. RC
    Perez3611 wrote: »
    Tomm Thanks for your reports, please keep posting. I will promise to start posting as well I admit, we really don't catch a lot of fish like many other people here.

I always go out by Haulover and always keep looking for a 22' Sea Hunt bay boat to at least say HI, but no luck my friend.

Keep looking :-) I am always there. I start early and finish late....but I keep my boat at Haulover Dry Storage, so I don't use the boat ramp. My Bay Boat stands out as I am probably the only one with that type of of boat that has an open array radar on my T-Top :-) Summer time will be hear soon, then I will be at Sandbar quite a bit.
    corric wrote: »
    Great srory! Keep it up! Good dinners to come.. RC

Thanks buddy!

• snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Great report....i can't wait for this wind to die...i need a daytrip!!!
  • StealthStealth Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Way to put in the work. Just goes to show that persistence pays off eventually. Agree on the posting as well. I know I did my share before I sold my boat. Forum was better back then but if everyone had your attitude, it could get back to that again....

God forbid I have to go on THT one day.... :cry LOL
  • GhostRiderGhostRider Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    cojones!!!!
    fish on the brain ; pirate in the blood
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Tomm wrote: »
    Keep looking :-) I am always there. I start early and finish late....but I keep my boat at Haulover Dry Storage, so I don't use the boat ramp. My Bay Boat stands out as I am probably the only one with that type of of boat that has an open array radar on my T-Top :-) Summer time will be hear soon, then I will be at Sandbar quite a bit.

Thanks buddy!

Tomm, I wonder if you (or anyone else with Bimini experience) could give me some advice...I'm heading over to Bimini for the first time later this week taking advantage of this gorgeous weather window and need some help with a couple questions...

Where do you dock when first arriving?
    Is the customs office nearby?
    How long does it take for Customs to clear you after arrival?
    At the end of the Fishing day before you head back to Florida, do you need to go back to Bimini Customs to get the passports stamped again?
    Any other advice for a Bimini newbie?

Thanks in advance guys...
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • ReelDragReelDrag Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Nice job Tomm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.sailfishingclub.com
  • Northrider23Northrider23 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I'm hopefully making the same trip in July.
    FinestKind wrote: »
    Tomm, I wonder if you (or anyone else with Bimini experience) could give me some advice...I'm heading over to Bimini for the first time later this week taking advantage of this gorgeous weather window and need some help with a couple questions...

At the end of the Fishing day before you head back to Florida, do you need to go back to Bimini Customs to get the passports stamped again?

Thanks in advance guys...

I generally go to the Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina to clear customs and immigration, plus this is generally what I pick as the hotel as well. This is the one I am most familiar with. My next trip over I will be staying at Bimini Sands Resort & Marina which also has a customs office

For both the places I mentioned, the customs office is onsite. The custom office is right on the Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina property.

It depends on how many boats arrived before you. It could take an hour, or more/less it depends - Keep in mind you have to also clear Immigration as well. At the Big game you can walk to the Police station around the corner to clear, otherwise you have to go the Airport. Summer weekend are busy, so be prepared.... also don't bother arriving too early since they do not open until around 8:00am.

No, you can just leave without going back to the Bimini Customs office or Immigration. You will have a cruising permit that will be valid for 3 months, so if you re-enter during this time you still have to clear customs and immigration but do not have to pay the customs fee again (it is valid for two entries)

Important: Be aware that you do have clear customs in the US as well upon your return, which means you have to present yourself to the customs office in Port Everglades or in Miami. There is an easy way to streamline this, just obtain an LBO and register for the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS). Once you have registered (it does require a visit to the Customs office), then you can call-in your arrival to the US via the phone. You could have serious problems if you do not follow this....i.e. just return to the US without going through customs, which in my opinion is simply not worth it especially consider the post 9/11 environment we are in.

Research as much as you can in advance.....customs procedures in both the Bahamas and the US, don't forget immigration. Forms for the Bahamas can be downloaded in advance saving you some time upon arrival into Bimini (Immigration forms are only available upon your arrival). Watch your weather very carefully and make 100% sure you boat/engine are in tip top shape for the crossing. Carry emergency equipment, etc. Do not take anything for granted.

Also make sure you are familiar with both Bahamian and US fishing regulations, both are very different.

Here is a link to a separate post dedicated to Bimini started last year. I put alot of information into it. Hop you find it helpful -> http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?197857-Bahamas-Bimini-South-Florida-Small-boaters-rendezvous-amp-Buddy-Boat-annoucement

Here is a link to a separate post dedicated to Bimini started last year. I put alot of information into it. Hop you find it helpful -> http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?197857-Bahamas-Bimini-South-Florida-Small-boaters-rendezvous-amp-Buddy-Boat-annoucement

Thank you!
    Very good info!
    Len
    Finest Kind
    Thanks again for the info and advice, our first (boat) trip to Bimini was a blast!

The crossing was smooth last Friday 3/18, with flat seas allowing for a comfortable cruise at 28 mph. Cleared customs quickly at the BGC and immigration at the police station up the block, and was back on the water trolling for wahoo within an hour.

Unfortunately the trolling didn't produce much other than a Barracuda and Bonita, so we switched over to snorkling.
    My son and his buddy picked up a few lobsters, and pole speared a nice Hogfish and a Porgy which I brought over to the chef at Big Game Club....he made us an awesome dinner with our catch!

We stayed overnight at the BGC and snapper fished Sat AM before heading back at noon. Overall, fishing was slow, not only for us but also for the other captains docked at the BGC, but we managed to put together a decent catch.

Would have stayed longer but the **** winds were building to over 20 mph...thank god they were out of the South and not the North!
    The crossing back took forever it seems with the tight 5 footers stacked up on my port bow. It's days like this is when I'm thankful for installing my Garmin Autopilot years ago, because at least I didn't have to worry about keeping on course while I was busy tending to the throttles which demanded constant adjustments while surfing down and climbing up those waves.

Got back slowly but surely, docked and took a ride over to US Customs in Ft. Lauderdale to check back in, no problems.
    I'm ready to do it again as soon as the weather and work schedules allow!

You guys down here really got it made!
    When I used to keep my boat up in Jersey, we would run 50 to 60 miles offshore to a spot called the Glory Hole for Tuna and Sharking, but up there after you run 50 miles you are in the middle of nowhere! And then you have to run another 50 miles back again to get on dry land.
    Down here, run 50 miles and you are in another Country with Hotels, Food, Fuel and Fun!
    Len
    Finest Kind
    Awesome....great you had a chance to cross! Remember you can re-enter one more time without paying the custom fee within 90 days.

What did you use for trolling Wahoo? This time of year it is great high speed trolling (15kts+) using big specialized lures and bullet weights which I don't see in your picture. There are also tidal considerations, as well as Moon phase (which was good for your trip).

Awesome....great you had a chance to cross! Remember you can re-enter one more time without paying the custom fee within 90 days.

What did you use for trolling Wahoo? This time of year it is great high speed trolling (15kts+) using big specialized lures and bullet weights which I don't see in your picture. There are also tidal considerations, as well as Moon phase (which was good for your trip).

We were trolling a pair of Braid Wahoo Bombs on torpedo weights at 15 mph zig-zagging the dropoff between 100 and 500 feet.
    http://www.captharry.com/lures/braid/braids-wahoo-bombs.html
    I like them because you can run them on relatively light tackle so you still can have some fun fighting the fish.

The other Captains at the BGC didn't have much luck with the Wahoo either, and they were using those huge 18 inch double hooked Wahoo lures rigged on much heavier tackle....freaking International 80's on bent butts....not much sport in winching in the fish on that gear IMO.
    Len
    Finest Kind