Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hit the lake again 2/28

I was hoping to put some meat in the box for a fish fry tonight but also didn't feel like driving to the coast to fish 50 degree water so I hit the lake again. I focused on trolling deep water to begin with even though I'd heard the specks were in the brush. I was trolling jigs and magic beans but only the jigs seemed to pick up any fish. My first fish was a nice bass in 10 or 11 feet of water.

TSJvi8xl.jpg

The second was this white bass.

tWVrveCl.jpg

After that action sorta slowed down, so I set up a drift in towards shallower water starting at about 8 feet. There was a lot of hydrilla from 7 feet in, and I found one bass ripping a fluke on a jig head through the grass but it was just a yearling. I didn't find any fish in shallower than that. There were some guys drop shotting or fishing wacky rigs in that depth as well but I didn't see them picking anything up either. So I set up another drift with the light breeze pushing me .5 to 1ish MPH across the lake and set out my jigs again. I picked up a small bream on that drift but that was it. After that I moved to the canal to fish the brush and fished there for an hour or so without any luck. I dipped jigs in around the brush with my cane pole but it just wasn't happening. I also fished the banks in lake Rowell, I was able to just barely squeak under the bridge. The water in Rowell was 4 or 5 degrees colder than Sampson. I took off just before sunset.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,782 Captain
    A couple of quality fish made the trip worthwhile. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Agreed. I did however break a leaf spring on the way home. Got lucky though, noticed a burning rubber smell once I was back in the driveway and discovered it. I think if I'd gone to the gulf I'd have be stranded on the side of the road with a blown tire and broken spring. Now I've got to figure out where I can find a couple leaf springs to swap in so I can fish this weekend....
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    That's a hybrid bass or sunshine.

Nice bass.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice fish...
    Triple crown trailers in Ocala can hook you up on anything for your trailer...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    Yeah, I saw online that Northern Tool has the springs too. I'm going to try and find it here in town but if not I'll be driving to Ocala to hit Northern I imagine!
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,103 Captain
    Nice fish! If you need any help, shoot me an IM the next time you want to get on some specks. I fish for them about every day of the week this time of year and am happy to point you in the right direction as long as you don't post about it, lol.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    10-4, appreciate it. If I had my druthers, I'd have been at Rodman fishing instead, but I didn't feel like driving that far! I am also generally too lazy to buy bait so that doesn't really help my cause either!