Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Best 7'6"- 8' Snook/Cobia Rod

Looking for a new Snook/Cobia spinning rod. I've got plenty of 7' inshore rods, and am looking to go a little longer and heaver. Something with backbone that would handle 20-30 lb. braid, but have a light enough tip to throw free lined bait or 1 1/2 oz to 3 oz jig.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Star rod stellar, shimano teramar, Crowder, shimano tallus, St. Croix have all been good to me. I lean more towards the shimano rods since it seems like star quality has gone down. Crowder and St Croix are usually out of my price range
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    Look into cousins rods, I bought two one for jetty fishing 8'9" and one for all around structure fishing 7'9" and I love them. The big rod was $299 and the smaller one was $199. I landed over two dozen snook (over slot / in slot) last year from the north jetty in Sebastian with no issues.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Rod needs to match the reel . Needs to balance. Take the reel to a shop and slip it on some rods. My Cobia rods have 50pound braid. My favorite combo is a 7 medium terramar with a quantum cabo 60
  • Hunterand connorsdadHunterand connorsdad Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thank you very much. The Teramar rods look like they might do the trick. Headed to Basspro this weekend to look at them and try some reels on a few. Thanks again.