Lots of Gags, ARS , 0 Mangos - West of Clearwater

Headed west at 9am. Found large schools of pins, squirrel fish and Spanish sardines in 50-60ft.
First 3 stops we used cut bait and shrimp with the hope of getting some mangos. Nothing but porgies and grunts.
Not sure what the problem was - really frustrating. Kids started asking if we were going to catch anything good.

So out we went to 110ft.

Loaded up on ARS, Gags, Vermillion and almaco jacks for a few hours. Ended up keeping 3 Vermillion - everything else was released to fight another day.

Biggest gags and ARS were caught on squirrel fish. Neiki Ball jig scored a few decent fish too.

Stopped on a ledge in 50ft on the way in hoping to get a mango - nothing but grunts :huh
bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 562 Officer
    Definitely some beast ARS for when our one week season starts haha...these ARS are taking over out there and there's nothing we can do about it haha
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    Kids started asking if we were going to catch anything good.

Now that's funny. Dang throw back Gags and ARS. Great report from you and the kids, good stuff.
  • therobertbrookstherobertbrooks Posts: 285 Officer
    Thats some stud ARS.. Awesome job.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Nice report. Sure looked like a nice day offshore. That one ARS is a mule! I am beginning to think your kids might be just a little bit spoiled from all the great fishing they have been exposed too! Keep up the good work Dad!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,961 Captain
    Love the kid picks. Those are some pig snapper. We got snapper but not anything close to that big. We were only in 100' max. Did you try any chum for the mangos? Also downsize gear if you didn't. We have found 20 lb flouro is effective. Switching to 25, 30 etc... and they wouldn't chew...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 693 Officer
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    Love the kid picks. Those are some pig snapper. We got snapper but not anything close to that big. We were only in 100' max. Did you try any chum for the mangos? Also downsize gear if you didn't. We have found 20 lb flouro is effective. Switching to 25, 30 etc... and they wouldn't chew...

Hi Capt Bly - My snapper/hog rigs are 15-20lb power pro with 20-30 ft of 20-25lb flouro.. 1/4 jigs and 1 oz knocker rig..

I had a chum cage 10ft off the bottom .. frustrating as i have caught lots of snapper off these spots before.

Just when you think you have this fishing thing figured out ..

Going to have to go deep into my playbook next time

Thanks
    Mike
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• releasegearreleasegear Posts: 693 Officer
    Daughter practicing on ARS-
    [video]
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• Nice job
    I'd of kept the porgies, they are excellent table fare.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,961 Captain
    Hi Capt Bly - My snapper/hog rigs are 15-20lb power pro with 20-30 ft of 20-25lb flouro.. 1/4 jigs and 1 oz knocker rig..

I had a chum cage 10ft off the bottom .. frustrating as i have caught lots of snapper off these spots before.

Just when you think you have this fishing thing figured out ..

Going to have to go deep into my playbook next time

Thanks
    Mike

Same stuff we did so not sure. Tide was rolling the wrong way based on the wind for us so we were slow at first but once the tide and wind chilled out we got them going. We have had issues going higher than 20 lb flouro leaders though. I have just stuck to 20 now but when we had more than 20 down, no bites...they can be picky I guess.

I was actually a little nervous on Sunday. We didn't have any white bait at all which we have had a lot of the last 5 or 6 trips and used extensively. I had my buddy ScottK on board and had to send him home with some dinner or his girly won't let him come out and play with me again :wink

It took longer to get them going than it has but fortunately they finally started chewing.

And I have come to the realization that I never have them figured out...but it is fun trying.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013