Sand key Park

We're new to the area, moved here in November from Texas, and still looking at all the fishing opportunities the Central West Gulf Coast has to offer. Does anyone have any reports or comments about the fishing from shore in Sand Key Park? Looking at that area on google maps shows a lot of potential. Is the fishing there as good as it looks???
2001 238 Semi-V Carolina Skiff, Yamaha F115.......Fish On.........:USA

Replies

• rehartlinerehartline Posts: 794 Officer
    You have better luck asking in the West Central section of the forum.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,383 Officer
    First light fishing along the beach can be fantastic once the water warms up and the bait returns. Not sure what time they open the park gates, but there are several areas you can park on the east side of Gulf Blvd and walk to the beach. I see a lot of folks fishing off the small piers just west of the bridge when I am heading out of the pass.
  • Papa JohnPapa John Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    drgibby wrote: »
    First light fishing along the beach can be fantastic once the water warms up and the bait returns. Not sure what time they open the park gates, but there are several areas you can park on the east side of Gulf Blvd and walk to the beach. I see a lot of folks fishing off the small piers just west of the bridge when I am heading out of the pass.
    Thanks for the info drgibby, we'll give it a try when the water temps get up a bit!!
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    You should have success with the mackerel, flounder, trout etc this time of year using live greenbacks. My uncle frequents out there and does quite well. Shrimp may be a good alternative bait. The snook consistently cruise along the beach and jetty in the summer, when the water warms up.
    cseng123 wrote: »
    You should have success with the mackerel, flounder, trout etc this time of year using live greenbacks. My uncle frequents out there and does quite well. Shrimp may be a good alternative bait. The snook consistently cruise along the beach and jetty in the summer, when the water warms up.
    That sounds good cseng, we enjoyed surf fishing around Surfside Beach, TX in the past, it should be better here. It's fun on those days we can't take the boat out.
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,412 Captain
    When the water hits about 70, look for mackerel runs. I'd keep any ladyfish for bait if you go out on a boat. Nice grouper bait.
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Papa John wrote: »
    That sounds good cseng, we enjoyed surf fishing around Surfside Beach, TX in the past, it should be better here. It's fun on those days we can't take the boat out.

The fishing will pick up here soon in a couple of months, but you should still be able to get some action out there. Once April and May roll around, the fishing will be steady.
  • Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Gates open at 7am. I have fished there a bunch and have fun with mangos on greenbacks during the summer at the park with the piers.. I've seen tarpon roll on there in the fall and have seen some pig snook that hold under the docks. Fun little area
    DBRYAN wrote: »
    When the water hits about 70, look for mackerel runs. I'd keep any ladyfish for bait if you go out on a boat. Nice grouper bait.
    Thanks DBRYAN, I've got a shortcut on my desktop for the water temp's in the gulf, eagerly waiting on 70!!
    Moken10 wrote: »
    Gates open at 7am. I have fished there a bunch and have fun with mangos on greenbacks during the summer at the park with the piers.. I've seen tarpon roll on there in the fall and have seen some pig snook that hold under the docks. Fun little area
    We're looking forward to fishing the park, I appreciate your info and comments, good luck catching!!