Any help would be appreciated.

Next week we are heading down to a condo right on Indian Shores beach. One of our favorite things to do is beach fish, it is great family time. Last year it was not a productive time on the beach. I am just wondering if any of you have heard any word on how the bite is at the beach. I was in Ft. Myers last week and the gulf was pretty cold so I am assuming the water in Indian Shores will be cold in early March and that may make the beach fishing tough again this year. Either way, I will really enjoy time on the beach with my family and a line in the water. Any help as well as advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 966 Officer
    fredlab wrote: »
    Next week we are heading down to a condo right on Indian Shores beach. One of our favorite things to do is beach fish, it is great family time. Last year it was not a productive time on the beach. I am just wondering if any of you have heard any word on how the bite is at the beach. I was in Ft. Myers last week and the gulf was pretty cold so I am assuming the water in Indian Shores will be cold in early March and that may make the beach fishing tough again this year. Either way, I will really enjoy time on the beach with my family and a line in the water. Any help as well as advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Yeah, likely not much happening on the beach early March. Bait doesn't really start to show up until the end of the month. You could get into some silver trout, pompano and the occasional flounder out there but it won't be very productive. If you have a kayak or paddle board you could hit the hard bottom up a little north which is only 1,000 feet or so from the beach. You can get plenty of Grunts and the occasional good snapper too. Of course there will always be some whiting around too.
  • fredlabfredlab Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Thanks, we have had years when it was good and then we have had lean years. Coming from Michigan it is just nice to get a line in the water. I have caught lots of whiting, a handful of trout, one flounder and a few bonnet's. I have never caught a pompano, but would like to I hear they are good eating.The fish that has eluded me is the redfish. That fish is haunting me.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 966 Officer
    fredlab wrote: »
    Thanks, we have had years when it was good and then we have had lean years. Coming from Michigan it is just nice to get a line in the water. I have caught lots of whiting, a handful of trout, one flounder and a few bonnet's. I have never caught a pompano, but would like to I hear they are good eating.The fish that has eluded me is the redfish. That fish is haunting me.

Redfish will definitely not be on the beaches at that time. If you can go over to the other side and fish the intracoastal you should be able to toss some shrimp or gulp on a jig head under docks and get them.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    If you can find them.. throw some tandem Loves out there on a light spinner.. We were having fun throwing them with Ladyfish hitting last week ...off the beach..pretty near the Redington Pier.. The faster you crank it in the better the hit..

LL-TandemGrub_zpsq0p1aryr.jpg
  • steelyboysteelyboy Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Redfish will definitely not be on the beaches at that time. If you can go over to the other side and fish the intracoastal you should be able to toss some shrimp or gulp on a jig head under docks and get them.

:banghead Thank you sir, Do you mean the Atlantic side? I'm new, from Michigan also. My son is coming to town, I live in Beverly Hills, FL. We are hoping to wade fish somewhere, for something. I just hope he hooks up. I know it's a little early, water cool in gulf, oh well, I will be happy to see him, and fish together again, we have never caught an ocean fish on fly rod, Many trout , salmon, steelhead, bass. Wish us luck.
  • steelyboysteelyboy Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I wish I could get a guide, just feel so lost in a great fishing state.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    steelyboy wrote: »
    :banghead Thank you sir, Do you mean the Atlantic side? .

I think he is refering to ..just the other side of the street ...

If you pull up Bing maps or Google maps ..zoom in on the area your wanting to fish..Just to the East..about a 10 min walk or so... there is the ICW.. Sometimes has good action..depending your location.. Sheephead might be biting around the docks.. If it were me..and that is the area your fishing..I would either go to the Redington fishing pier..or venture a few mile to the North to Johns Pass.. The beach area around the pass sometimes has good fish... Water temp is not great for the snook but still..Sheeps...grunts..Ladyfish..

Just a mile or so South of Indian Shores there is a boat ramp on the east side.. and a bridge at Park Blvd... Chuck some mullet looking lures around that area.. Never know what might have stayed out to play instead of heading up river to warm waters...Should keep you busy...if not..then the exercise was worth it hua...

Another best bet is to find a local bait an tackle store..Never hurts to ask there ...