Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

garmin gps chart

what is the name of the little chip that the garmin gps take to have the charts of this area and what is the name of this area, i just don't know nothing about them and a budy is going to gandermountain to get one

Replies

• butchbalbutchbal Posts: 472 Deckhand
    What model Garmin do you have? Older Garmins use a proprietary data chip which is no longer available, all the newer ones use sd cards. Garmin sells many different charts that cover the Big Bend area. How far north and south do you want to cover on the gulf coast? If you can be a little more specific I can make list for you. You can buy Garmin charts cheaper on Amazon than you can at the big box stores. Let me know I'll be glad to help.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 965 Officer
    he's going to buy one tomorrow and was just wondering what they're called

so it needs to have the sd card in it to have the charts or it can be downloaded from the sd card

he needs from crystal river to steinhatchee
    hes going to gandermountain
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I use the G2 chip. The VUS011R chip. I'm not sure if it covers up to steinhatchie though. It's great for CR and yankeetown.

Here is a link to Amazon. You can see the coverage map on the link.

http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-VUS011R-SOUTHWEST-FLORIDA-BLUECHART/dp/B008S5RYLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394678291&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+g2+bluechart+vus011r
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,509 AG
    Rick1-2 wrote: »
    what is the name of the little chip that the garmin gps take to have the charts of this area and what is the name of this area, i just don't know nothing about them and a budy is going to gandermountain to get one

I've got a Garmin handheld and have the Bluecharts chip. It is not cheap. I think I paid 150 for it 5 years ago. It's very good, but does not give you detail up near the treelines in the creeks. That's my only complaint about it. Near the mouth of the creeks, it even shows you major oyster bars. Offshore, gives you general depths of the waters. It was worth the money though in my opinion until something better comes along. Oh and the chip covers all the coastal waters from Florida to Mississippi I think. It is the tiny insert chip that will fit into an SD compatible card but don't need the SD card. It is TINY.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GatorprofGatorprof Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    It is the Garmin Bluechart G2 Vision HD Tampa to New Orleans Chart - VUS012R. When I bought it about 5+ years ago, the VUS011R did not cover Steinhatchee, but I would be sure to ask at Gander to be sure nothing has changed.
    thank he got one that has it preloaded
    there's good deals out there cause new models are coming out in March that have chirp
    thank he got one that has it preloaded
    there's good deals out there cause new models are coming out in March that have chirp

If you were talking about mine no it wasn't. The Garmin I got sucked for fishing and why I got it. I tried to download the application but ended up getting the microchip because of incompatibility with the chip I tried to download to. I would think 5 years down the road the software would be much better than I purchased, even though I'm pretty pleased with what I got. It would be nice to have Google Earth like mapping, but I suppose that is a lot to ask for an app in a hand held GPS. I will say I can download all my spots to my PC and see them on GE and also save them as such. It's pretty neat stuff.............and on the flipside I can go to GE and download a spot I want to explore (within 10 feet) and save it to my GPS. Technology is good but it can give you a headache until you figure it all out, and no, I haven't. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Navigator i meant he got one that comes with the chart it a fixed mount, 53dv i think, i also have a garmin handheld that only has horseshoe and steinhatchee just in case my piece of %#?£¥> hummingbird decides to quit
    Navigator i meant he got one that comes with the chart it a fixed mount, 53dv i think, i also have a garmin handheld that only has horseshoe and steinhatchee just in case my piece of %#?£¥> hummingbird decides to quit

Ah.......I think I see what's going on here. It's been 5 years, forgot what I have. I've got the HXUS039R - US g2 microchip. Says it covers the US but haven't tested that anywhere but Florida.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]