9 mi GAGS

I don't have much of a chance for a GAG within 9 mi of the Cotee river (Port Richey) my stomping grounds, so which ramp to the south should I try out of. Do I have to go all the way to the Skyway? Is there even GAgs within 9 mi in July to the south or am I just dreaming here. Wintertime is totally different story I'm talking summer when they open. I fish my area and north not south so I have no clue what you guys do in Clearwater and tampa.

Replies

• J BoneJ Bone Posts: 172 Deckhand
    There are definitely plenty of spots within nine miles where you can catch gags. The season should be open through December this year making it more available for the anglers who target gags by trolling plugs. My advice would be to head SW from Treasure Island and look at your bottom machine, there are plenty of rock piles that hold gags in state waters, anchor on a spot, start with dead bait then move to live bait. However getting them to bite may be another challenge with all the bait present during the warm months in the relatively shallow state waters.
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    What is the depth in this area? Will lipped plugs get deep enough or do I need a #3 planer. I know how to catch grouper just have never targeted anything within 9 miles and even when trolling I know I won't be able to be able to accurately keep myself within 9 miles. You state head SW so at 9 miles at a SW heading I could be at 6=7 miles who knows but I will attempt to follow the rules. I guess I will figure my 9 mi range and try to stay in that depth within 10 ft or so. What ramp is best for treasure Island. Anything closer maybe Clearwater All opinions welcomes
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Plenty of good bottom in state waters west and north-west of Honeymoon and Anclote. Two years ago there were a lot of fish there in the summer. Last year not so much. Gag fishing in that area can get great in the fall once the water starts to cool. There are lots of small breaks and scattered rock around, just have to spend time watching the bottom machine.
  • 2WayCenter2WayCenter Posts: 225 Officer
    Yes, what he said. In July 2014, we were catching 30" Gags in 45 fsw. Last summer, they were not there.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 966 Officer
    I don't target gags in state waters until usually right before close. Look for small rock pile groupings, anchor over, chum and they will eat eventually. We pulled several 30"+ fish out in 30-45' before close.
    I have a bunch of #'s off Anclote but nothing within 9 miles. 32 ft # is 17mi from my last cotee river marker.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    Why are you interested in State Water gags? The season and size limits are the same in state and federal water.

If you want shallow water gags in the summer, head north to Homosassa or Crystal River. A lot of guides who don't hold reef permits catch them all summer long in state water as shallow as 7 ft. You can cast plugs or soft baits to them on the visible rocks.
    Bingo didn't think state and feds were on the same page with regs this year. Trying to keep up with ever changing BS.
  • seanmurphy243seanmurphy243 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    We catch keepers well within 9 miles of the cotee.
    I have never looked at my GPS and headed out to exactly 9 miles to fish for anything I have some #'s in the 26-28 ft range but couldn't tell you exactly how far from land they are. Been so long since I have fished them they may be garbage from red tide for all I know.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,253 Admiral
    I just got some numbers for public reefs like tarpon springs reef/Dunedin/Clearwater/Veterans/ and 7 other ones off the west coast

I plan to try at least 3 this year. I figure being public and being weekend they will either be crowded or not producing fish. But i'll check em out nonetheless.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • offsethookeroffsethooker Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I just got some numbers for public reefs like tarpon springs reef/Dunedin/Clearwater/Veterans/ and 7 other ones off the west coast

I plan to try at least 3 this year. I figure being public and being weekend they will either be crowded or not producing fish. But i'll check em out nonetheless.
    There's a few fish on them but they do get beat to death when the winds calm down. When the kings come through its game on if the baits there.
  • offsethookeroffsethooker Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Duckster wrote: »
    I have never looked at my GPS and headed out to exactly 9 miles to fish for anything I have some #'s in the 26-28 ft range but couldn't tell you exactly how far from land they are. Been so long since I have fished them they may be garbage from red tide for all I know.

There's gags with in 9 miles for sure, I,ve caught some studs in 10ft range.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,253 Admiral
    There's a few fish on them but they do get beat to death when the winds calm down. When the kings come through its game on if the baits there.

That's another thing i want to give a go this year. I definitely want to get a few kings in the box. Hasn't been a full year since i've had my first boat and I already feel like i'm wasting time not getting out on the water!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.