Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Eleuthera from Shore

BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior MemberNW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
A 7 days fishing vacation in the amazing Eleuthera, last week.

We arranged this trip thanks to our friend Andrea who owns a family home in South Eleuthera (if someone is interested he rents the home+car at very cheap rates. The home is well furnished and perfect for a fishing journey in the island. Just in case let me know, I'll give you Andrea's directions).

We have fished only from shore, mainly spinning but also fly fishing.

The group
14w9hrn.jpg
From left to right: Marcello (spinning but mainly fly fishing, he caught several bonefish), Fabian (spinning), me (up, spinning), Andrea (down, spinning, trolling and spearfishing), Gabriele (spinning) and Alessandro (spinning and fly) our field chef.

Some Eleuthera landscapes.

ic8bk6.jpg

x1a7ix.jpg

57ki9.jpg

2nv8q4k.jpg

2pziiat.jpg

35i23pc.jpg

ei88lw.jpg

2s8mz4h.jpg

35chb0l.jpg

2dhbhbt.jpg

52j41f.jpg

2zqs8yc.jpg

icqsz7.jpg

96w3ts.jpg

2gvu7m8.jpg

mkaosy.jpg

Some varia.

2m625uf.jpg

5otitl.jpg

2w7pfyd.jpg

j8cwld.jpg

2lmnrte.jpg

181a40.jpg

2cigya0.jpg

xg3gw.jpg

20zehdj.jpg

i5axc6.jpg

307m0b7.jpg

2dano8i.jpg

jpex45.jpg

3359ttk.jpg

2s837rd.jpg

23usnxj.jpg

efjh5c.jpg

4uckl0.jpg

As you can see for lunches we cooked on the beach some fish we caughth and once a lobster caught by Andrea.

And here some fish.

Alessandro's grouper
358ytyu.jpg

Gabriele's grouper
k03dc3.jpg

Blue runner (perhaps)
w03jbl.jpg

Yellowtail
30063r6.jpg

Gabriele's grouper (and Andrea on the background)
21o0k7l.jpg

Alessandro's grouper
2nhjj84.jpg

Gabriele's grouper
23jgd4.jpg

Fabian's Bonefish (as I said Marcello caught many other of their with fly fishing, but I haven't the pics)
30afcj6.jpg

Grouper (mine)
sm3nrn.jpg
Very weak fish :grin
351toht.jpg

Barracudas
x4rdx1.jpg

wafshy.jpg

The best one (mine)
sov19c.jpg
2qum7us.jpg
2r7rhio.jpg

Well, I know that can sound unbelievable but I caught it from shore, with a surface lure and a 1 1/4 oz travel rod with a Shimano 4k reel and a 20 pound line.
At least 20 minutes of fighting before landing the fish :grin.

The lure after :grin

11ght1x.jpg

Even some clip from gopro (I brought it just the last morning, I'm so lazy :grin).

A barracuda f**k me off :grin
Little grouper
Gabriele's little grouper
Yellowtail
Not the best season for fishing, but we did some nice catch anyway.
We think to come back next year, on April/May.

That's all folks, hope you enjoy :wink.
Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
********************************************************************************************************************************
I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
Not my blame if you do something that matches what I don't like.
Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Replies

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior Member NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
    One of Marcello's bonefish pic is arrived :wink

262xo92.jpg
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
  • BullMarketBullMarket Senior Member Palm CityPosts: 186 Deckhand
    You guys looked like you did very well from shore. Congrats on a great trip
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,415 AG
    beautiful place

glad y'all had fun

did you try the kayak?
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior Member NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
    I'm not so confident nor trained enough for that.
    Then my offshore experience is based in Mediterranean, the Ocean is a different story.
  • cprcpr Senior Member dwcPosts: 9,299 Admiral
    nice!
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • 10X10X Senior Member Athens, GAPosts: 501 Deckhand
    I was in Governors Harbor in July. Nice place! I think the fish you are calling a yellow tail is actually a bar jack. Not too bad eating as you likely found out. Looks like you had a good time with the buds!
    10X wrote: »
    I was in Governors Harbor in July. Nice place! I think the fish you are calling a yellow tail is actually a bar jack. Not too bad eating as you likely found out. Looks like you had a good time with the buds!
    Yep, great time :wink

Not sure but friends have said that are Yellowtail snappers. In any case are delicious grilled :grin.
  • jad1097jad1097 Senior Member atticPosts: 9,611 Admiral
    Very nice. Looks like you guys had fun
  • nuevowavonuevowavo OT Administrator Posts: 6,883 Moderator
    Nice trip with the boys! Eleuthera is incredible - we'll be going back in June.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • DucksterDuckster Senior Member cotee riverPosts: 545 Officer
    Awesome trip and pics!!One question though where's the beer?
  • dpdashdpdash Senior Member Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    GREAT trip! Thanks for posting, excellent pics
  • fish_stixfish_stix Senior Member Palm BayPosts: 1,395 Officer
    Positively a yellowtail in your pics. The grouper are nice size for eating; not much worry of ciguaterra in that size fish. The barracuda are best released as you did. The Bahamians eat them but the large fish like you caught are the ones that are prone to carry the toxins.
  • the other tomthe other tom Senior Member Posts: 123 Deckhand
    very nice! great report..

Pictures appear to be near the remains of the old Cotton Bay club?
    Nice observer :wink

Some were shot there.
  • alacrityalacrity Senior Member coral gables floridaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    Some Fabian's pics.

Ale's way to move fish :grin
    20u69w0.jpg

Marcello has caught it. Don't ask me wath fish is :huh
    104qptd.jpg

We were in 6 with only one 4-wheel car :)
    1ha0b9.jpg

Fabian's needlefish
    bja1r9.jpg

Fabian's barracuda
    16iilmp.jpg

Stingray
    e17pkg.jpg

She is "Scamp" (the name was imposed by Alessandro, choosing one of the grouper on the **** groupers poster who Andrea has in kitchen)
    23tli12.jpg
    2vs5f9e.jpg
    2lmxhky.jpg

Someone left her close to the Andrea's home and we adopted her during our staying. She was very lovable although was impossible leaving something outside without her would catch :grin.
    Before than Fabian left Eleuthera he arranged a definitive adoption for her, thanks to a Canadian lady who lives there :wink.
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below Senior Member MiccoPosts: 3,825 Moderator
    Clip by Andrea (Eleuthera home owner). It deserves a view :wink

[video=youtube_share;w6CMNTkueFI]http://youtu.be/w6CMNTkueFI[/video]
  • nuevowavonuevowavo OT Administrator Posts: 6,883 Moderator
    Marcello has caught it. Don't ask me wath fish is :huh
    104qptd.jpg

Something from the trigger family - perhaps a grey trigger?

Fabian's needlefish
    bja1r9.jpg

Actually a "houndfish".

If you ever return to the Cotton Bay area, make sure to have dinner at Sharil's Restaurant in Deep Creek. Best cracked conch in the Bahamas!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Thanks for suggestion and fish ID :wink.
    BTW even Andrea's conch salad was amazing (he caught several of them).
    After "only" three months :grin Marcello has sent me his clips.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Senior Member Hobe SoundPosts: 1,831 Captain
    Pics look great. It must have been a blast catching grouper like that right on the rocks.
    Yes, true.
    Indeed we've landed around the half of the hooked ones, some are gone.
  • CNTDRCNTDR Senior Member Posts: 890 Officer
    Eleuthera is a beautiful and unspoiled slice of paradise. Glad you guys enjoyed it. Did you camp at the park?
    Your English is just fine :-)
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.