Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wiggins Pass Water Quality

By chance does anyone know what the water is like out by Wiggins pass area? i know anything north of about Bonita the water is crappy cause of the discharge from Lake O... But was looking to head down to the Wiggins area to spend some time on the beach and maybe fish the pass and was curious what the water was like...?

Thanks!

Replies

• Joe SnookJoe Snook Senior Member port of the islands in NaplesPosts: 468 Deckhand
    I heard Red Tide was real bad there today making it Hard to breathe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • HunterSThompsonHunterSThompson Member Sanibel, FLPosts: 60 Deckhand
    I will run by and take a look after work. Ill let you know what I find out
  • HunterSThompsonHunterSThompson Member Sanibel, FLPosts: 60 Deckhand
    Went out to the pass, no red tide as of yet. No fish kills, live shells washing up, etc. Some tannin staining in the back bays but nothing too bad as of yet. Talked to a park ranger and he said the red tide will be coming though. What I did notice though was the amount of beach that got washed out due to the micro-tsunamis we got. Some of the trees on the beach side are even getting undermined by the tidal action. There used to be a good 20 feet of beach before that. Saw a guy catch a little whiting in the pass which makes me went to do some pompano jigging this weekend.
  • snipes27snipes27 Member Posts: 105 Deckhand
    thanks for the info... i have never been down that way, figured i had some free time and we would head to new water. I just moved to san carlos from living on the river just outside of downtown fort myers for the past few years. Have done most of my fishing off sanibel and pine island/charlotte harbor... Now i get to learn some new area's to the south...

thanks again