FWC considers modifying 2016 Gulf rec red snapper season to 78 days in state waters

At its Feb. 10 meeting at the Florida Public Safety Institute near Tallahassee, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved a draft rule to modify the 2016 Gulf of Mexico recreational red snapper season.

This newly proposed season will be considered for final approval at the FWC’s April Commission meeting in Jupiter.

The newly proposed season would be open Saturdays and Sundays in May starting May 7. On May 28, the season would open continuously through July 10. Finally, the season would reopen for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in September and October, and on Labor Day. This would provide for a 78-day season in Gulf state waters.

This season will help maintain fishing opportunities for recreational anglers in state waters and provide additional May and fall weekend fishing days.

Learn more about red snapper at MyFWC.com/Fishing by clicking on “Saltwater,” “Recreational Regulations” and “Snappers.”

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    Great for the Panhandle, sucks for us. When NMFS calculates the fish taken in the State water, West central will get zapped. Please encourage State Regulation of Gulf Snapper

Time for Anglers to Make a Stand Against 'Sea Lords'
    Florida FWC under siege by snapper barons

A federal program that is allowing almost half the Gulf red snapper fishery to be held by a handful of private business has created a class of Sea Lords who are fighting to keep their personal windfall. As outlined in this ground-breaking article in the Mobile Times Register, "Kingpins of the Gulf make millions off red snapper harvest without ever going fishing," these Sea Lords have been granted private ownership rights to red snapper, for free, to use for their own personal profit.

The private recreational angling community has been left to fight over scraps and 10 day seasons.

The Sea Lords, and those who would like to become Sea Lords in the charter/for-hire industry, are now engaged in a campaign of intimidation at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC). The Gulf States have been unified in their rejection of private ownership programs to manage fisheries and know that they can do a better job using traditional methods. Last year, the states put forth their own state plan to manage red snapper, a plan that resulted in federal legislation to transfer management of the fishery to Gulf States.

With their riches threatened and desperate to hide the truth, the Sea Lords are fighting to flood the FWC with their one-sided story, coercing state officials to abandon the state management model.

The FWC meets tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. at the Florida Public Safety Institute Conference Center in Havana, Florida. It is critical for recreational anglers to express their support of state management and of the FWC before and during that meeting. The simple message is that we trust the state to manage these public marine resources better. We believe in the FWC and its far superior track record of management. We must let our state commissioners know that there is another side to this story. We must not let greed dictate how our fisheries are managed.

Please take a few minutes today to click the link below and send FWC Commissioners a message of support for state management and urge them to stay the course. The future of our fisheries is at stake - don't let our state managers be led astray or intimidated by a few red snapper barons.

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
    https://www.votervoice.net/BroadcastLinks/nn3DVrzGPTqrpiNEK1gwVw
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    Yes it would be great if that was all gulf waters and not just state water, bummer.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Now if we can just get the state line moved out 100 miles or so................
  • 2WayCenter2WayCenter Posts: 225 Officer
    Here is a new show in the Wicked Tuna theme that will raise your eyebrows, and might even **** you off.

New National Geographic program called Big Fish, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJh7c7R3u3U

More about what we already know. It's about the money, not the fishery.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,961 Captain
    I watched it for a few minutes last night and the guy was complaining because one of his boats was still in port I BELIEVE in the panhandle with 15000 pounds of red snapper....
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    2WayCenter wrote: »

This explains why they have draconian limits and seasons for the recreational fishermen. More $$$'s in the Kingpin's pocket.
    Our Florida state senators are both on the record supporting more accurate harvest calculations and longer recreational seasons. But the only consistent voice seems to come from LA, and senator David Vitter.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20140621/ARTICLES/140629934?p=3&tc=pg

Maybe I've missed something, but the proposed changes do seem to benefit that region. Who is our voice here in west central Florida?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 648 Officer
    Here is a new show in the Wicked Tuna theme that will raise your eyebrows, and might even **** you off.

New National Geographic program called Big Fish, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJh7c7R3u3U

More about what we already know. It's about the money, not the fishery.

I don't fish offshore, so I don't have any skin in the game, but the show made me sick. You guys are lucky to get to fish for them a few days a year, and their pulling um in by the boat load.

BS
    It is all about the money. Did anyone watch racing extinction a few months ago? I tried to keep an open mind while watching, but when a liberal bleep from Hollywood has so much money, he can sit outside a restaurant in his Lamborghini, with a big screen, telling everyone not to go there, because of something on the menu, and puts them out of business. Over the top
    lukkyracer wrote: »
    Did anyone watch racing extinction a few months ago?

Will make time for seeing that. Thanks for reference.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    I don't fish offshore, so I don't have any skin in the game

Oh but you do...just wait until they apply the same "management" style inshore...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
    The difference between inshore and offshore, is no commercial harvest for redfish or snook, and very little for trout. If there was then I would be worried.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 923 Officer
    hey, well now you can catch (black, yeah right, and gag grouper) wile you r fishing in state waters for snapper. but they now gotta be 24". good luck.
    rather than keeping this battle going on, maybe people of this country ought to push for lobbying to be illegal. get that big $$$ outta there!

feel the Bern!
    Alabama's Sen. Richard Shelby has some good ideas to help his state. WHere is Nelson, where is Rubio? This is FL. Presumably the understand how important recreational fishing is to our state's economy.

http://www.ccaflorida.org/typgraphy/press-releases/307-sen-shelby-champions-recreational-anglers
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Alabama's Sen. Richard Shelby has some good ideas to help his state. WHere is Nelson, where is Rubio? This is FL. Presumably the understand how important recreational fishing is to our state's economy.

http://www.ccaflorida.org/typgraphy/press-releases/307-sen-shelby-champions-recreational-anglers

Agreed. Jolly has not done much either, but talk. It would be nice to actually get someone in office that had a pair............
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    The difference between inshore and offshore, is no commercial harvest for redfish or snook, and very little for trout. If there was then I would be worried.

We're all in it together.

I have a flats boat and a SUP...I primarily fly fish in less than 12" of water. But I have friends and family who fish offshore so I pay attention to what is happening there as well...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
    West central Florida has the 2nd highest concentration of boat registrations in the country. Do the boat builders, equipment manufacturers and marinas have a method to share their voice? If it is only dollars, we roll over the commercial fishing interest. Starting to think it's more to do with the lack of organization.

We keep seeing these regulations roll out and we say "darn our luck".

With respect to the gag regulation changes. People seem to think that the extra 2 months are a win. But it is a shell game. The limit will never go back to 22". But the season will be shortened as soon as some regression formula from 1993 says the recreational quota has been exceeded.

The commercial side seems exponentially more organized. Please, someone step in and show how this is incorrect.
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    With respect to the gag regulation changes. People seem to think that the extra 2 months are a win. But it is a shell game. The limit will never go back to 22". But the season will be shortened as soon as some regression formula from 1993 says the recreational quota has been exceeded.

I agree, I don't see it as much of a win at all. Lengthening it on the opening end doesn't do much unless you go real deep. On the closing end my guess is they will shut it down early. Even if they don't we only get a month more and it shuts down when it gets real good. As far as the red snapper season goes, it's great for the panhandle, but for us it will likely only shorten our federal season which is already a complete joke. It is amazing the power they have to do whatever they want with the seasons
  • mgrandu1mgrandu1 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    This whole thing is a joke to
    me...it's as if the rec side has no one hearing our
    side
    that nat geo program , Big Fish,TX, got me so angry
    Some capt showed up at the fish house with 11,000 lbs of red snapper they could not sell as fish meat because it was compromised , so they sold it to a dog food company for half price ...yet we get 10 days rain or shine and 2/fish per man
    I e mailed the editor here asking wickstrom put them on blast
  • THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.

Really? The post got more play here.
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,406 Captain
    Our Senator is too busy running for President right now and isn't Vitter on his way out?
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    The biggest problem I see is that they manage the entire gulf as a single population. Indicating that fish readily move from the area off of St Pete or Sarasota to the area off of TX or LA. I've never seen data indicating that this occurs with any frequency. If they simply set the gulf into separate management regions like they do with pelagics and then only license commercial boats to fish in their regional port waters then we would have plenty of fishing days down here. I suggested that at a public meeting at FWC but got shot down.
    Al_hms wrote: »
    I suggested that at a public meeting at FWC but got shot down.

Who did the shooting? FWC?
    Al_hms wrote: »
    I suggested that at a public meeting at FWC but got shot down.

I asked because the feds (NOAA) said that plan was under consideration during the hearing on H.R. 3094 back in October. Said a methodology which divides the recreational quota between the states had been proposed. That seems like the best short term solution providing the methodology is fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Plizp3ljI
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,961 Captain
    I thought I saw that that got panned at the last meeting or at least tabled or something. Only issue with the states running the show, not sure they are much better unfortunately. Seen some crazy state level decisions with no data backup over the years as well. Hopefully it all gets straightened out and is fair but I am not holding my breath.

I hope everyone that is po'd at this is contacting NOAA, FWC, congressmen etc... Squeaky wheel gets the grease....Also hope you are all members of CCA and/or FRA. We need to pool our voices to get anything done.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    Seen some crazy state level decisions with no data backup over the years as well.

Yeah, the states argue their superior data collection methods. Laugh.
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    Who did the shooting? FWC?

Yes, FWC. Yes I also realize that would be a federal, not state move, but I was at that meeting so floated the concept.