Boynton Beach - 1 Feb 2016

Launched just South of Boynton inlet around 6am and was unsuccessful at finding bait so I purchased 5 gogs from Ken at Xtreme bait. I had lost his cell number, but luckily he was out on the water supplying some other kayakers. After getting bait, I trolled relatively shallow to stay out of the current heading South to check out some wrecks. The current was running North 0.5-1.5kts -- the further out the stronger the current. On the way to the wrecks picked up a small shark on a gog. Trolled around the wrecks for zero strikes on jigs and one nice Barracuda on bait, Then headed out deep to look for tuna. Vertical jigged my %*#@ off in an area that had produced fish in the past with no tuna luck :( Landed one nice Almaco in 460ft hooked right on the bottom. Continued to drift Nth while dragging a flat line bait and vertical jigging inwards from 480ft to 180ft. Metered some fish on the wreck just north of the inlet, but luck was not with me -- missed a fish on bait and got bit off on the jig the first pass. Peddle back to hooked up on a fish that I believe was eaten by a shark which also became hooked on the jig. I was towed around by the prospective shark on 80lb braid with the lever on full (40lbs of drag) for 10 minutes and then the dog spring failed on my penn fathom lever drag reel. This is the second time this has happened to me with a penn lever drag. Penn’s low end lever drag reels look good on paper, but what good is that if they fail during critical moments ? Forty exhausting minutes later, I had drifted too far off the launch point and needed to end this battle. Because of the broken dog spring, I was afraid the handle of the reel was going to break off, so I thumbed the spool until the fish eventually broke off.
After a tiring peddle back to the wreck, I dropped the jig a few more times to miss a strike and then get bit off :( Current was strong and I had a long peddle back to the launch, so called it quits. All fish were released to fight again another day.

Shark Fight

Missed Strike on the jig

Replies

• kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    I like the depth finder shot, with the fishing line thru it. The current has been weak at Dania n Sunny Isles.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    John,

Is that the standard transducer or did you upgrade? That is a really cool,clear,clean shot!!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I had a Raymarine and it looks like he used the standard transducer. They are very clear and easy to see even in bright sunlight. Make sure you have a good battery. They like them. Nice report John.
    John,

Is that the standard transducer or did you upgrade? That is a really cool,clear,clean shot!!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,807 Captain
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    I like the depth finder shot, with the fishing line thru it. The current has been weak at Dania n Sunny Isles.

Thanks Frank. The original FF picture showed the fishing line running down below the strike, but that somehow got washed out when I edited it for posting. I did a an afternoon jigging trip out of Surfside last Saturday....zero current and zero fish :( My experience has been that if the current is dead or strong off N. Miami, and the weather is relatively similar, The current usually has the same charateristics all the way up to West Palm Beach. If anyone has different theories on this, I would like to learn about them.
    John,

Doug, That is the standard transducer. The dragonfly7 has a thin wire single combined power/transducer plug on the back of it (have had a plug pin break and another time the wires shorted). It is out of the box original and don't think they make an upgrade for it. Not every strike looks like that, but if the jig stays under the kayak when I am reeling it up, it is not uncommon to see stuff like that. Love the unit when it works, but have had numerous reliability issues.
    I had a Raymarine and it looks like he used the standard transducer. They are very clear and easy to see even in bright sunlight. Make sure you have a good battery. They like them. Nice report John.

Thanks Pete, The Raymarine Dragonfly series have some of the brightest screens on the market -- 1500 nit(the screen does feel hot). A typical FF screen is around 1000 nit, and of course if one wants to conserve the battery, one can turn down the brightness, but once spoiled with it, that's hard to do. I believe the newest Helix series Humminbird's are the only other manufacturer marketing screens of the same brightness rating.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    They have updated the units with a better plugs to the unit. I had one of the first units made and the same thing happen. I had it replaced with new unit.
    Doug, That is the standard transducer. The dragonfly7 has a thin wire single combined power/transducer plug on the back of it (have had a plug pin break and another time the wires shorted). It is out of the box original and don't think they make an upgrade for it. Not every strike looks like that, but if the jig stays under the kayak when I am reeling it up, it is not uncommon to see stuff like that. Love the unit when it works, but have had numerous reliability issues.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Thanks Frank. The original FF picture showed the fishing line running down below the strike, but that somehow got washed out when I edited it for posting. I did a an afternoon jigging trip out of Surfside last Saturday....zero current and zero fish :( My experience has been that if the current is dead or strong off N. Miami, and the weather is relatively similar, The current usually has the same characteristics all the way up to West Palm Beach. If anyone has different theories on this, I would like to learn about them.

I always thought the same about the current, until I started communicating with other kayak fishermen. I have been fishing simultaneously as others have been fishing let's say Boynton and/or Pompano, and they claim that the current is ripping north. We fished the same depths and times of that day, but I had near zero current down south. Up north a drift was possible, but down south our kayaks just seemed like spinning tops in place. Unless we go out deeper than planned, forget about it.. no drift. The extra depth does seem to make a difference though. When a drift is possible in let's say 200-250 ft of water up north, down south we need to hit just past the 300ft mark, to find similar current.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Love the reports
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    I always thought the same about the current, until I started communicating with other kayak fishermen. I have been fishing simultaneously as others have been fishing let's say Boynton and/or Pompano, and they claim that the current is ripping north. We fished the same depths and times of that day, but I had near zero current down south. Up north a drift was possible, but down south our kayaks just seemed like spinning tops in place. Unless we go out deeper than planned, forget about it.. no drift. The extra depth does seem to make a difference though. When a drift is possible in let's say 200-250 ft of water up north, down south we need to hit just past the 300ft mark, to find similar current.

On the days I have compared conditions with other kayakers, it has been the same. Good to know that is not always the case, Thanks Frank.