January - the Last Week Harney/Econ

The Shad and White Pelicans also mean the the BIG stripers are back or in the area. Been a few caught around in the 5# and up class but not thick yet. I have been looking between all the Shad catching guys and getting a few here and there. Since the Freezer looks good with SPECS, it is on to the Sunshines and shortly the Schooling Bass. The bass we've caught have been mostly on Plastic with a few smaller ones on Plastic Swim baits.

Of note: To me anyways - the stomach contents of Large Mouth Bass has had Fiddler Crabs and Armored Catfish in them. The big Cat in the picture is actually still alive in a tank at Daniels Baitshop (Mims) and it spit up a Full Grown Armored Cat.
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    The fact they CAN eat those pleco's is encouraging ! How they can choke them down is another story ?

Thanks for the report.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 729 Officer
    River is high but fishing is good. Got this toad dead lining a bass assassin with the current. Would NOT open it's mouth for the world. FAT FISH..back in the water she goes

Temp is 61%. Headin to Stick Marsh this week for some pre-spawn activity

[video]
  • KBMonsterKBMonster Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Cool note, I like to know whats in the bellies too. Didn't know fiddlers were in the river banks, pretty cool.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    I was kinda surprised and I have still not actually seen the Fiddlers running around on the banks anywhere but they are darn sure around somewhere. The number of Small Armored Catfish I've been finding in the bellies is a new one on me and then to find a full grown one in the Catfish belly was very surprising. Just when ya think that you might have a few things figured out...this happens LOL.
    KBMonster wrote: »
    Cool note, I like to know whats in the bellies too. Didn't know fiddlers were in the river banks, pretty cool.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!