Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Is this about average for a tear out and replace of a kitchen...

Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,586 Captain
My Kitchen is 10x11. I'm getting a $6000.00 quote to tear out the cabinets and tile floor and install the new cabinets. Haven't done this in a while and want to make sure that is the going rate.

Thanks,

Phil

Replies

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,328 AG
    Too many unmentioned things here . . .

Replace tile floors?

Cabinet counter tops?

Paint or tile back splashes?

New or existing appliances?

New lighting?

Ceiling fan?

Upgrade electrical outlets?

For a kitchen that size I
    would usually budget 10 to 15k
    after the dust clears.

Have fun!

:thumbsup

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,586 Captain
    Baits Out wrote: »
    Too many unmentioned things here . . .

Replace tile floors? No

Cabinet counter tops? No

Paint or tile back splashes? No

New or existing appliances? No

New lighting? No

Ceiling fan? No

Upgrade electrical outlets? No

For a kitchen that size I
    would usually budget 10 to 15k
    after the dust clears.

Have fun!

:thumbsup

Tear out and replace cabinets only.
    Just for cabinets I now usually buy flat packed RTAs from someone like this,

http://www.cshardware.com/

and then have a competent handyman to tear out the old and
    assemble and install the new.

Course, you have to know how to design and measure the
    kitchen and order properly, but it can save lots of money.

Again, have fun!

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Seems high. How many cabinets? Will they be hauling everything away? Assembling cabinets is a PIA. You save money on the boxes but pay more for labor. Put your $$ into better cabinets.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 13,014 AG
    Sounds low.

Better pay them more.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • GrizGriz Posts: 9,951 Admin
    You a after quality or price. Makes a huge difference. Everyone sells boxes, few sell cabinetry.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • KemperKemper Posts: 655 Officer
    Griz wrote: »
    You a after quality or price. Makes a huge difference. Everyone sells boxes, few sell cabinetry.

And installation is a big factor especially in older homes. I had mine installed by a guy I know from work that does good work. My house is older from 1930's and he did a good job cutting out the sheetrock to make countertops fit better and trimming cabinets to make up for uneven flooring.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Demolition with disposal is about $1.25 Sq ft
    Linear feet of cabinetry that is Chinese pre fab anywhere between $9-14 Sq ft, when you add custom doors, upgraded wood to solid Brazilian and add granite about 25-35sq ft on average.

A lot of variables
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 13,014 AG
    Kemper wrote: »
    And installation is a big factor especially in older homes. I had mine installed by a guy I know from work that does good work. My house is older from 1930's and he did a good job cutting out the sheetrock to make countertops fit better and trimming cabinets to make up for uneven flooring.

Sheetrock in the 30's?
    Most were still lath and plaster in that era.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
    Yep. Wet walls were the usual. Nasty. furring strips wire mesh.

Then a brown "scratch" coat then plaster, and so on.

Yeah, mine was built in the later 30s and I saved a piece of the sheetrock when doing some other remodeling. I can't remember the name it had on it but it was brittle. The kitchen did actually have newer sheetrock as I remodeled it some years ago when I built my own cabinets.

If I would have trimmed the studs or leveled them out when I did that the walls would not have been bowed resulting in my cabinet guy having to cut out for the counter top to fit. There was no backsplash on the counter top this time so he was able to do it without hurting the looks of the counter top. I then was able to bring the walls out flush ( between counter top and cabinets ) with drywall mud before I installed stainless 2 x4 subway tile. I coud have ripped the sheetrock and out straightened studs before the new counter tops and cabinets but that wasn't my only problem as the room was also slightly out of square. Looks good now.
  • HABUHABU Posts: 111 Officer
    The base price of cabinetry starts at expensive and goes up from there.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    Sheetrock in the 30's?
    Most were still lath and plaster in that era.

Yep, most but not all
    Yep. Wet walls were the usual. Nasty. furring strips wire mesh.

Then a brown "scratch" coat then plaster, and so on.

I hate that stuff
    Kemper wrote: »
    Yeah, mine was built in the later 30s and I saved a piece of the sheetrock when doing some other remodeling. I can't remember the name it had on it but it was brittle. The kitchen did actually have newer sheetrock as I remodeled it some years ago when I built my own cabinets.

If I would have trimmed the studs or leveled them out when I did that the walls would not have been bowed resulting in my cabinet guy having to cut out for the counter top to fit. There was no backsplash on the counter top this time so he was able to do it without hurting the looks of the counter top. I then was able to bring the walls out flush ( between counter top and cabinets ) with drywall mud before I installed stainless 2 x4 subway tile. I coud have ripped the sheetrock and out straightened studs before the new counter tops and cabinets but that wasn't my only problem as the room was also slightly out of square. Looks good now.

I have another story to tell.

Back when I had my shop a long time ago I got a call to estimate a kitchen job.

Went out to this big house with my long straight edge and other measuring tools and was shocked.

All the walls were vertically bowed, like a half inch or so!

Finally learned that when the interior walls were framed (metal studs) the roof had not been put on so that heavy
    load caused all the problems.

Forget now, but think I passed on that job or added another 25% to do all the shimming, scribing and such
    to make the custom cabinetry right.

Crazy man crazy. Always have to be on guard.

BobD wrote: »
    Seems high. How many cabinets? Will they be hauling everything away? Assembling cabinets is a PIA. You save money on the boxes but pay more for labor. Put your $$ into better cabinets.

21 cabinets. They are hauling everything away.
    Are they doing any electrical or plumbing? You supplying all material? Are they installing the new tile? I'd check where you are buying the cabinets for an installed price. In my neck of the woods, most go for $75-100/ box. Leaves a lot for demo/prep.
    Are they doing any electrical or plumbing? You supplying all material? Are they installing the new tile? I'd check where you are buying the cabinets for an installed price. In my neck of the woods, most go for $75-100/ box. Leaves a lot for demo/prep.

No electrical or plumbing. I supply material. Not installing new tile. The cabinets are going in at $97 each.
    No electrical or plumbing. I supply material. Not installing new tile. The cabinets are going in at $97 each.

That's $2100 for cabinet install which is about right. That's $3900 to remove the old cabinets and tile. Is the tile just in the kitchen? Are they removing and replacing drywall? Maybe they really don't want the job but will do it for that price. Unless I'm missing something $4000 +/- should be the number.
    I have another story to tell.

Back when I had my shop a long time ago I got a call to estimate a kitchen job.

Went out to this big house with my long straight edge and other measuring tools and was shocked.

All the walls were vertically bowed, like a half inch or so!

Finally learned that when the interior walls were framed (metal studs) the roof had not been put on so that heavy
    load caused all the problems.

Forget now, but think I passed on that job or added another 25% to do all the shimming, scribing and such
    to make the custom cabinetry right.

Crazy man crazy. Always have to be on guard.

Always best to go look at he job and discuss what is involved to keep the customer happy. We paint trim packages on new homes and that isn't too difficult to bid especially if we're talking basic stuff. If we are bidding repaints on walls and/or trim on existing homes we have to go look. Too many variables to bid by square footage.
    You got that right!

I never took a built-in job unless I looked-over the site first and did my own measurements
    -- often with story poles to really be exact if it was wall-to-wall.

Also can never trust walls to be vertical the full length. Amazing how some people who call
    themselves carpenters but don't know how to work a level.

A buddy of mine built a large stand-alone audio visual unit for some people in a condo
    on Palm Beach. He neglected to measure the ingress areas and finally had to hire
    a crane at $250/hr to lift the unit up to bring in via the outside patio doors. End of all profit
    on that job!

That's $2100 for cabinet install which is about right. That's $3900 to remove the old cabinets and tile. Is the tile just in the kitchen? Are they removing and replacing drywall? Maybe they really don't want the job but will do it for that price. Unless I'm missing something $4000 +/- should be the number.

Tile is just in the kitchen and they are replacing the dry wall.
  • MosesMoses Posts: 1,202 Officer
    32 cabinets, island cabinets, solid door self closing, garbage cabinet and a huge pantry was $6,200 alone.
    Installation was $750.00, although cheap it was a friend who did it in one night. Quartz was $3,900 installed
    and back splash is another $600.00 dollars.

Flooring is another story in itself. This remodel we are pushing close to $30,000 dollars but the kitchen cabinets
    was just over $6000 on their own. After 35 years the wife has exactly what she wants in the kitchen.
    The peanuts and beer took its toll. I had to fart really bad. I would normally ease away and let it out. I thought it was time for her to grow up.
    It was a varoooom! It shook the pine needles off the trees. She broke and ran.
    "Daddy, you stink!"
    She's my best buddy to this day! You never know how these things will work out!
    Sayin... Reck

1387463400_20_1_USD_5_default.png
    Joey Buttons - FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!