Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Why so few posts in South Section?

2»

Replies

• farincofarinco Senior Member Posts: 223 Deckhand
    I have been using this forum for over 10 years. I found a lot of the negativity to be something that pushed me away every time I would take a break from posting. I also didn't really like how the entire old forum was lost including all of my old posts and photos.

I eventually just felt bad for the guys who actually enjoyed my reports and wanted to learn new things that occasionally I have started posting again.
  • HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Senior Member Posts: 213 Deckhand
    To be honest, the number one reason is the bashing for me. People are just tired of it, unfortunately the only things the mods can do is "clean it up" which as some have said, make it boring.

The number 2 and almost perhaps tied with number 1 is the lack of ability to navigate/use and load pics from an mobile device. Iphone is literally the only device i use at home anymore. Maybe i just don't know how to use it or something but 9.5/10 times if i fish and have photos, they are on my phone. Currently the only way i am able to load photos to even begin a forum thread is to first load them to photobucket, then copy and paste etc. And even then half the time it wont work. ITs JUST too much of a hassle. I guess there are some apps or whatnot but they are all paid apps etc. People are already scrolling their facebook page anyways.

Florida Sportsman should really just create several public facebook groups for each forum topic (SOUTH, SE, KEYS etc). If you want to be a member of the SOUTH fishing report group, you join. Done. Want to post a report, once click and done. Man Cave Classifieds has over 80,000 members mostly in Southern (orlando and south) Florida and yet the page itself works flawlessly. or at least it appears too on my end. Sorry but this forum format is just too difficult to use. Just my 2 cents..

Facebook isn't the end all be all, ever tried reading an intelligent discussion with responses longer than a sentence on it?

The forum format has its place but I agree it could be better. The "portal" they have for each region is a stumbling block, they should just link to South General and South Fishing directly from the main forum list rather than having to click through the region's portal page. Other forums certainly have easier navigation and picture upload but at the end of the day it's the users that make it. If you drive away users with a difficult interface or a culture of negativity among a few vocal members, then the forum's quality as a whole diminishes.

As to the original question, maybe the folks in the Southeast section have built a better, more receptive, community and South could take some lessons from them.
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Senior Member PEMBROKE PINESPosts: 1,842 Captain
    Not only lack of posts all people do is read
    and dont reply.Always same ones replying
    oh well i will just keep putting info out there.
  • StealthStealth Member Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just went through 4 pages of mostly complaining, excuses and a couple of Cuban/Redneck jokes thrown in.

There went 10 mins of my life, .....actually 12 mins if you include this post. (I type really slow) ;)
  • alacrityalacrity Senior Member coral gables floridaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    ping Blair and his cohorts. they were warned about everyone of the complaints, including chopping up the sections, format, negativity etc. and they crapped on it. the losing of the archives was perhaps the worst of the worst. many contributors spent hours posting detailed reports and tutorials on just about every subject. it was pure negligence.

then add to all of this the recurring, incessant negativity of some posters (including some on this thread) and ultimately 95% of the people left. compare this forum to the hull truth, where none of the above happened and you'll see a thriving fishing community, so facebook and other social media are not the sole culprits.

i havent posted much because i have been landlocked but i hope to get out on sunday and will post a report hopefully.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Senior Member The City of ProgressPosts: 9,612 Admiral
    So did you make it out? Where is the report?
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • jad1097jad1097 Senior Member atticPosts: 9,611 Admiral
    The south section used to be one of the best
  • alacrityalacrity Senior Member coral gables floridaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    So did you make it out? Where is the report?

yes, but we went to the sandbar instead
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Senior Member Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    OK, 4 Nice gaffers in 1250 to 1350 on Saturday. After the first fish (28#'s), I was running the boat from up top looking for fish when a small but lit up Blue Marlin came right up to the boat. We drug everything in our spread right over his head and he just swam off with his bright blue neon light on full power.

Hit three more nice ones after that.

Back to the original topic. If it wasn't for muttonman, the South reports would be dead. Look at SE and you can see a ton of weekend reports.

Lucky for me I live on the line between S and SE so either report section gives me some idea on whats happening.