Looking for advise on taking the grandchildren fishing

Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
The grandkids, 6 years old and 4 years old will be coming in from Seattle Feb 14-20 and want to go fishing. I have a 19' bay boat and do a lot of flats, inlet and near shore fishing but taking young children fishing is a new adventure for me. I live in Orlando and with rough seas this time of year I'm thinking of maybe fishing the shore of the Port Canaveral inlet near the boat ramp or the bridge at Port Canaveral. Type of fish isn't important but having the kids out on a boat for the first time, I'm hoping to make it a good memory for them. Any ideas other than what I've mentioned? If it's windy when they are here I thought that I could also try fishing around some of the bridges in the Mosquito Lagoon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a lot planned for the week and fishing would only be for one day. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Muskee50

Replies

• coach76coach76 Posts: 204 Officer
    I am in Ohio, but don't you have several freshwater lakes near you. I am sure you can have fun on your boat, fishing for pan fish and bass.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Take them to one of the lakes for speck fishing. Easy to catch, neat looking, and delicious…..
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 547 Officer
    Would put the time in on a local lake versus saltwater. Sheephead and bridgefishing go hand in hand in winter but not always considering their ages. Sheephead are good bait stealers
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Definitely go bass fishing instead. I'm sure they can do that in seattle as well. Well, not SURE, but assuming so.
  • Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
    I was considering the possibility of going up to Lake Monroe for specks. I may go this weekend to see if they are biting.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 805 Officer
    leave the boat home......
    take them to a lake w/ bread for chum and worms for bluegill
    then take them for a boat ride.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    leave the boat home......
    take them to a lake w/ bread for chum and worms for bluegill
    then take them for a boat ride.

I live on a lake in Central Florida and have grandkids not too different ages than your 2. They have enjoyed catching bluegills and a catfish. Their attention span isn't super long so a few bluegills seems to do it for them.
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 306 Deckhand
    I have 2 children that are now 9 and 11. I have had several kids out and the MAIN thing is juice boxes and snacks! If you can get them on a steady bite, that is great. However, at that age, as I remember, drinks and snacks are the key to a successful day.....
    Kim Fraser
    Fraser Group, Inc.
    [email protected]
    Leaning towards Lake Monroe, great tips for the snacks and drinks. Made we could look for some gators too.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 738 Officer
    You could consider the St John's at Mullet Lake Park if there's any wind kicking up on the lake. Easy water and nice scenery going toward Lake Harney. Plenty of Specks and the like in the area. They might be more relaxed the first time not being on open water.
  • robertgrantrobertgrant Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Size and species don't matter at that age.
    If there not catching they will be bored in a hurry.
    Get out on a grass bed throw a bunch of chum and let them catch little fish
    One right after another.
    Don't plan on fishing much yourself .
    You will be baiting and removing hooked fish .
    Lots of drinks and some shade needed.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    I have an 8 yr old and 6.5 yr old, both started coming out with me while still sitting in baby carrier. My 8 yr old is always all in for a couple to max for three hours. The 6 yr old likes the bait bucket, boat ride and fishing if it is fast and furious. Within 30 minutes and every 30 minutes there after it is all about the treats and snacks. In the end think being outside who cares what they are doing as long as they are on the boat having fun. Freshwater pan fish and bass could be tonnes of fun so would catching pinfish, grunts, ladies etc. My guys catch small sheepies on 1/4 to 1/2 p of a shrimp on small circle hooks with minimal weight I can use, hook has to burrried into meat. In the end think qty not quantity, other things that have proven to be useful coloring book, binoculars, kid size nets, if you have a live well put whatever/some of your catch in it - if not then bring 5 gallon bucket my guys love looking at the fish.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

• DucksterDuckster Posts: 547 Officer
    X2 on the live well. I always put the kids on catching bait pinfish are perfect but if they get pinned to many times in the beginning they are done with the pinfish game. Whatever your catching let them both reel in the big one after you hook it. Take a lot of pics for us to see
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    Stryder wrote: »
    I have an 8 yr old and 6.5 yr old, both started coming out with me while still sitting in baby carrier. My 8 yr old is always all in for a couple to max for three hours. The 6 yr old likes the bait bucket, boat ride and fishing if it is fast and furious. Within 30 minutes and every 30 minutes there after it is all about the treats and snacks. In the end think being outside who cares what they are doing as long as they are on the boat having fun. Freshwater pan fish and bass could be tonnes of fun so would catching pinfish, grunts, ladies etc. My guys catch small sheepies on 1/4 to 1/2 p of a shrimp on small circle hooks with minimal weight I can use, hook has to burrried into meat. In the end think qty not quantity, other things that have proven to be useful coloring book, binoculars, kid size nets, if you have a live well put whatever/some of your catch in it - if not then bring 5 gallon bucket my guys love looking at the fish.

That brings back memories!! My guys loved feeding cookies and lobster rulers to the lobsters I brought on board!
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 396 Deckhand
    Size and species don't matter at that age.
    If there not catching they will be bored in a hurry.
    Get out on a grass bed throw a bunch of chum and let them catch little fish
    One right after another.
    Don't plan on fishing much yourself .
    You will be baiting and removing hooked fish .
    Lots of drinks and some shade needed.
    what he said. i suggest taking a couple 3' casts net also. kids love throwing stuff. i've got 6 grandkids and my wife and i ran a kids fishing tournament for 11 yrs. they won't fish the whole time, they have short attention spans. take your meds that morning.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • ReelFreeforallReelFreeforall Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    The weather is unpredictable this time of year so I would have a couple plans and just wait until a few days before to make your final decision on where to go. Fishing around bridges and spoil islands with shrimp and bobbers is one of the most fun times I ever had fishing as a kid so definitely consider that if the weather will cooperate! Otherwise a lake may be your best bet. Good luck!
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the great ideas. Like you said, you can't plan too far ahead for fishing with young children. I cant wait to have the youngest help me steer the boat, he really loves trucks, diggers and any type of heavy machinery. Maybe I can get him hooked on boats too. My wife and I are going out tomorrow to pre fish a location that we have in mind. will fish the way the kids will be fishing and we will see what we can come up with. Thanks again for all the great advise.