this weekend

Got the day off from the wife and kid Saturday..torn between speck fishing or going to ytown..front is rolling through tomorow and i know it affects the freshwater fish more than the salt..would the semi warm-up this week move the fish out of the creek holes or was that not enough to affect them?

Replies

• StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    I'll be out Saturday. My plan is to go out and look at the water. When I was out Sunday it started clean, then as the wind increased it pushed all the dirty water in and made things tough. Fish were way on the outside with the low water we had due to the full moon. I was fishing less than 100 yards from a flat that was dry and they had pushed off the flat and down into the darker colored bottom for warmth. Once the water came up there were some slot fish in the creeks, but the big fish were still hanging out over the dark colored bottom. I'm just gonna look at the conditions, if the water is clean, I'll sight fish. If not, well then I don't know yet lol. My opinion, if it's low water, they won't be in the holes, and if they weren't in the creeks on Sunday, they definitely won't be there this weekend because of temperature. Maybe for something else. I don't plan on fishing many creeks this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 551 Officer
    Sound advice..when you say dark bottom are you talking about mud bottom or dark grass flat bottom
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    The water temp is still 55 degrees at the Cedar Key pier, but maybe after today and tomorrow being warm it will come up even more and the fishing will heat up, but that water is still very cold. I was thinking about speck fishing myself, but that's more due to the fact that a lot of new parts are going on my boat this week and I need to give the boat a few hours before I trust it to run far at my usual saltwater locations.
    Not to derail the topic but I think the specks have moved up in the pads..I tried trolling minnows and jigs Sunday and only caught a few
    Sound advice..when you say dark bottom are you talking about mud bottom or dark grass flat bottom

I didn't see any fish over the just mud bottom at all, but there were several 12#+ fish sitting in the grass. If you look hard enough, you'll see places where there's maybe a 4" difference in depth that creates little potholes, most of the fish were very close to those when they were on the outside on the low water. Sure, 4" doesn't sound like much, but when you're talking about floating in 8" and then going to 12", makes all the difference in the world. I honestly would look at both the mud flats and grass flats, if there's hard bottom near the mud or in it, they'll probably be there.
    Thanks..I'll post a report of what I decide to do..were not supposed to get a bunch of wind like we did last Saturday so hopefully that will keep the water clarity clean..
    Thanks..I'll post a report of what I decide to do..were not supposed to get a bunch of wind like we did last Saturday so hopefully that will keep the water clarity clean..

You'll have wind later tonight and some Friday, not positive if it will be clean or not. I'm hopeful though. If you see a blue flats boat up there don't be afraid to say hi!
  • AlexNilesAlexNiles Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    I plan on hitting the creeks. We were there in the yankeetown & horseshoe area last weekend and loaded up on fat mid slot reds and even a nice overslot trout. We were way up in there though. Ill make a report this weekend with pics and some details. Tight lines :fishing
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    When the weather is so inconsistent and the departure from traditional seasonality is so apparent it's very challenging to decide the "what when how" to fish.

Late 2015/early 2016 you're pretty much either "lucky"- or "wrong".
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    When the weather is so inconsistent and the departure from traditional seasonality is so apparent it's very challenging to decide the "what when how" to fish.

Late 2015/early 2016 you're pretty much either "lucky"- or "wrong".

Or good at being able to cover water. That's what us guys with boats do. When something doesn't work we can make a change and find fish ����
    That's my plan..gonna start in creek holes then work my way out when the Sun gets up
    That's my plan..gonna start in creek holes then work my way out when the Sun gets up

Might see you out there! Will be hitting the river around 7:30 and running north. I'll be in a blue east cape vantage if you see us.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    (deleted by Luv2Yak)
    Did just as well as you did. There's a difference in being "lucky" and "good". By saying everyone is either "lucky" or "wrong" is false. That was my only point.