More Lochloosa Specks

Myself and Big Bend Brian decided to make the day trip and fished with an old buddy Jim Keith, that Brian knew from Cedar Key....a learning mission, if you will...with some tasty rewards.!!

Fishing was pretty much off up until mid-day....I'm thinking it had something to do with the moon phase, because it picked up a little in the afternoon.

But this week as opposed to last....we used jigs tipped with minnows....and once the bites picked up several fish were caught and several were lost, because we were fishing fairly dense cover, and them suckers seem to know where every lilly pad root is :banghead :grin

Ended up with a nice mess of fish, and called it a day around 3:30....I'm thinking the prime time to fish though was 3pm till dark.....because it looked good as we were leaving. I consider it a good recon mission.

So I leave it like this...between the 3 of us, that afternoon bite, we had 21 nice keepers, and lost more than a dozen to the weeds and a few that we tried to bail :banghead.....(paper mouths equal net !! )

Thanks Brian for spending the day on the water with me !!

IMG_1838_zpsn1nn1u8h.jpg

IMG_1835_zpssaw48zdd.jpg

IMG_1845_zpskimpvmvg.jpg

IMG_1841_zpsljsodvbu.jpg

Replies

• Stevie WonderStevie Wonder Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Doesn't anybody have a JOB!!! Just Kidding, I'm jealous, Freezing my ARS off in New Jersey. Man those are good eating.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,549 Captain
    Very nice!
  • mike.robomike.robo Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Beautiful fish!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,278 Admiral
    Thanks guys.....

As a follow up......I went back and checked the solunar tables for that day....and wouldn't you know it, that morning was an off feed time,...meaning no major or minor to speak of. It was an afternoon affair. as we witnessed.

No striking fish in the morning where-as we started seeing more striking fish feeding as well as getting more bites. The prime time would've been 3 till dark, but that time frame didn't meet our plans as we had to return to Jacksonville.

So now that I think I know what to look for with the solunar tables....I'll keep that in check next trip down.

I swear by them in saltwater....so freshwater shouldn't be any different.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Pretty fish guys. Some of the finest eating. Just add grits
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Great job!!!
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,922 Captain
    Nice fish that water must be black those fish are really dark
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,342 Captain
    Nice job Steve.. Love the colors on those fish!
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    That was a fun trip. Sea Snaker is a great guy to hang out with. Let's do it again Sea Snaker.

After spending some time with ole Sea Snaker it occurred to me that Steve has an addiction to words that start with S.
    Like solunar tables and even his forum name….. Sea Snake (or his reel name Steve). Even more odd is that he specifically targets fish that start with the letter “S” (that’s kinda weird).

Like:
    Sheepshead
    spadefish
    Specks
    Sunfish
    Southern kingfish (croakers)
    Speckled trout
    Spottail pinfish (you guys call em ringtails)
    Spanish
    I’m probably missing other favorite fish that he likes to catch that start with “S” but can’t forget his favorite….skingfish
    Brian
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Those things aint specks those are Sac-A-Lait and isn't it ironic that it also starts with S. :thumbsup
    2013 Xpress H-18 115 Yamaha
    Camo'd out to hide from the fish better:cool:
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,278 Admiral
    That was a fun trip. Sea Snaker is a great guy to hang out with. Let's do it again Sea Snaker.

After spending some time with ole Sea Snaker it occurred to me that Steve has an addiction to words that start with S.
    Like solunar tables and even his forum name….. Sea Snake (or his reel name Steve). Even more odd is that he specifically targets fish that start with the letter “S” (that’s kinda weird).

Like:
    Sheepshead
    spadefish
    Specks
    Sunfish
    Southern kingfish (croakers)
    Speckled trout
    Spottail pinfish (you guys call em ringtails)
    Spanish
    I’m probably missing other favorite fish that he likes to catch that start with “S” but can’t forget his favorite….skingfish
    Brian

:willynilly
    Oh my.....
  • jackjaxjackjax Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    :willynilly
    Oh my.....

how in the world can he report if he ever hook a flounder/fluke :rotflmao
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Awesome Steve And Brian! Speck-tacular!!
  • flounder2flounder2 Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    flounder are also called "soles"