Homosassa Grunts and Gags 1-21-16

Left Riverhaven around 10 this morning with three of my friends hoping it would warm up and hoping NOAA had their report somewhat correct. The first part of our trip, heading for the 30-38' marks, wasn't too bad until we hit the 25' area, the chop was a little more than the 2-3' but we continued hoping it would lay down. When we arrived to our first spot, hoping for RG and hogs (which we caught in the area), all we caught were grunts. We kept the largest for tacos and some small ones as bait; we threw the rest back. We moved a couple of times visiting points and caught more grunts and then some Gags; we were using somewhat live shrimp finger mullet and cut up grunts. When we headed back, we found flat seas in around the 20' mark, which made the trip a little easier. Overall we caught fish and had a good time.

Replies

• barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    The best part of the trip is "Going".
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,679 Moderator
    The best part of the trip is "Going".

Yes. ^^ Nothing wrong at all with grunts. Underutilized food fish around here and beats the hell out of farm tilapia !

Ummm, fish tacos.. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    True Barhopper, the best part was being out, it was my first time since middle Dec, had bronchitis it was good to get out:
    Capt Louie trying fish tacos, oysters, clams and shrimp tonight: we picked up the clams etc from Southern Cross in Cedar Key.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    I have to agree......I LOVE me some grunts......I usually throw a lot of them back, but when I get into a mess of them that are good sized, I fill the cooler with them, get the electric knife out and cut those babies up and eat me a mess of grunts. Most people don't like them because they don't have a lot of meat on them, but you bring in a cooler FULL of them, it is more than enough to make me and the wife happy. Now of course its not the same as bringing in a grouper or cobia, but why waste the trip and bring back a cooler of ice and unused shrimp.
    I agree bringing home fish is better than nothing, and there's nothing wrong with grunts. We bread with flour egg then bread crumbs added cornmeal then either lightly fry or bake. Has a good flavor.
  • KeatonBchFisherKeatonBchFisher Posts: 297 Officer
    Grunts and grits make a fine meal. If you get a cooler full of grunts and sea bass you don't want just call me.
    Keaton Beach Rental https://www.vrbo.com/780025

Yankeetown Rental https://www.vrbo.com/619425
    Yes, they do. I usually keep all sea bass if they make that minimum size and the grunts. Sorry KeatonBch
  • SalmononeSalmonone Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I'm always surprised at how many people I run into that think you can't eat grunts. I think they fry up absolutely delicious. And yes, electric knife is the way to go!!!
    Well I ate grunts tonight and they were delicious. :)
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Nothing wrong will a plate of grunts....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Give away the grouper and eat the grunts. We love them.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,679 Moderator
    Another plus .. A big grunt on trout tackle can pull.
    "You'll get your weather"