First time on the Waccasassa River

Left Gainesville for my first trip to the Waccasassa River around 945am in search of anything that would bite. Started by looking for deep holes around creek mouths and up in creeks. Threw curly tails, gulp shrimp, and DOA Cal shads in various colors. I was only able to get two bites all day long but I hooked up on both and they ended up being some pretty little 16 or so inch reds. Nothing too special for my first time, but it was a good way to spend a Thursday afternoon. Curious if anyone else was out there today, and if they had any luck?

TIGHT LINES!

Replies

• Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    From where did you launch?
  • T.CovT.Cov Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    From where did you launch?

The public ramp by CR326
  • jimmyslim1jimmyslim1 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I don't know how shallow you draft or what your range is but if you head south from the mouth to Turtle Creek Bay, there are some awesome grass flats that you can work on the incoming tide. Really nice reds. I grew up fishing that area.
    I'm from the gubment, and I'm here to help!
  • florida_dorksmanflorida_dorksman Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I think I spoke with you briefly at that gas station on Archer road. You mentioned 'the forums' and that you were going out of Wacassassa river? Too funny. I'm posting my report right now, I got a couple reds out in Yankeetown in my kayak.

My report:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?212673-Yankeetown-1-21&p=2662384#post2662384
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,936 Moderator
    Thanks T.cove for the report ! The guys here can lessen that learning curve up there :wink
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    That can be a tough river to fish this time of year. Not like its spring fed so the water can be a bit cooler.
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • SeaJaySeaJay Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Redbonz wrote: »
    That can be a tough river to fish this time of year. Not like its spring fed so the water can be a bit cooler.

Redbonz,

I think the Waccasassa is fed mainly by three springs: two springs at Bronson Blue springs (North End of Bronson where everybody swims) and Wekiva (private property south of 24). These are magnitude 2 and 3 springs, if I remember right. The only reason I know this is from studying prospective cave diving sites.

I think there are bunch of smaller springs in the surrounding swamps just north and south of 24.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,191 AG
    Wacasassa is spring fed..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Good thing I know it all. :grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead