Ramp Road Park, Cocoa Beach?

I spotted this place on Bing Maps and have never been there. Can you get into the Banana River out of there with a boat that draws a couple of feet? The charts show it really shallow, like under a foot.

Thanks,
Bob
Grew up fishing south Florida... Moved to Brevard 1982... Took a break after '90 while the kids grew up and got married... Now trying to learn it all over again. Prefer light tackle and lures.
Key West 1720, Yamaha 115 TR 2-stroke

Replies

• BoaterBWBoaterBW Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    If you have a 17, Keywest you will be just fine using the ramp at Ramp Road. I used to put my 21' Whaler in there all the time and never had an issue. You need to stay in the channel as it is shallow out side of it.
  • CFLBobCFLBob Posts: 40 Deckhand
    BoaterBW wrote: »
    If you have a 17, Keywest you will be just fine using the ramp at Ramp Road. I used to put my 21' Whaler in there all the time and never had an issue. You need to stay in the channel as it is shallow out side of it.

Great! Thanks for the answer. Yeah, I want to take my 17' Key West there.

I can't really tell where the channel is by the charts. We'll need to really check it out.
    Grew up fishing south Florida... Moved to Brevard 1982... Took a break after '90 while the kids grew up and got married... Now trying to learn it all over again. Prefer light tackle and lures.
  • LivinTheDreamPCLivinTheDreamPC Posts: 218 Deckhand
    I have fished there a few times. Beautiful beautiful area. Kind of a hidden gem. There are mangrove islands everywhere. Lotts and lots of fish in there too. Not sure this cold weather how the 1-4 foot flats will be action wise (other than mullet). Like others have said stay in the channel unless you have a good bottom machine and hopefully a pole / gig to push yourself out when you ground out. It goes from 4' to 1' in seconds near the islands. So have something on board to pole your way back to the deeper water WHEN you ground out..... you will be fine.
    Is that all "no wake" or manatee zone there?
  • The lazy pirateThe lazy pirate Posts: 33 Deckhand
    You'll be fine in a 17'. Stay in the channel. As soon as you put in head north and you will come around a bend and see the markers to the neighborhood on minuteman. Beautiful area and lots of fish. All no wake zone. You will tons of wildlife as well. Don't forget your camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll be fine in a 17'. Stay in the channel. As soon as you put in head north and you will come around a bend and see the markers to the neighborhood on minuteman. Beautiful area and lots of fish. All no wake zone. You will tons of wildlife as well. Don't forget your camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about turning left, and hugging the shoreline south? It looks like it goes into open river down there.

The flats around all those little mangrove islands ought to be good when the sun warms those places.
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 655 Officer
    CFLBob wrote: »
    Is that all "no wake" or manatee zone there?

Yes it is ALL NO WAKE. Almost got a ticket years ago when 3 FWC officers(1boat) lit me up... got lucky, it was a good day (written warning). One of them told me I could have hit an endangered manatee.He pointed all the signs that border the shorelines of the banana. I argued that the manatee is actually an invasive species with one officer, told him I heard they are good with mashed potatoes. Good luck fishing out there, the water clarity has been bad for months. If you get out of the channels anywhere in the thousand islands, you better put your moter up and pole. There are old dead oyster beds and coquina rubble along the edges of flats they cut the channels accoss.
  • Chief OsceolaChief Osceola Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    You definitely want to stay in the channel the whole way from the ramp to the river unless you plan on trimming up your motor and pushing your way around. Gets really shallow just outside the channel and I wouldn't suggest wandering through the islands without a GPS/chartplotter as you will get lost/stuck.
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 336 Deckhand
    I have fished there a few times. Beautiful beautiful area. Kind of a hidden gem. There are mangrove islands everywhere. Lotts and lots of fish in there too. Not sure this cold weather how the 1-4 foot flats will be action wise (other than mullet). Like others have said stay in the channel unless you have a good bottom machine and hopefully a pole / gig to push yourself out when you ground out. It goes from 4' to 1' in seconds near the islands. So have something on board to pole your way back to the deeper water WHEN you ground out..... you will be fine.

Not really a hidden gem anymore i went there on a Monday recently and every spot in the lot was full. plus all the kayak tours run out of there too. it can be a mad house sometimes. I had to launch at my "secret spot" in thousand islands that day.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    CFLBob wrote: »
    What about turning left, and hugging the shoreline south? It looks like it goes into open river down there.

The flats around all those little mangrove islands ought to be good when the sun warms those places.

Definitely don't do that.. follow the channel north and it eventually turns westerly and brings you out to the open flats..
    Definitely don't do that.. follow the channel north and it eventually turns westerly and brings you out to the open flats..

Thanks. There is no substitute for local knowledge, so I appreciate everyone answering.

I just retired, not even a month ago, so I'm likely to be out there on a weekday when it's less crowded. At least I don't have to be out only on weekends.
    Weekdays they run the tours.. so don't think you are going to be alone. Only time it's not busy is when the weather sucks. Please post a report if you catch anything, I have been skunked every trip I've taken my family out there the past few months. And the water has never been that brown from my memory.
  • thumperdumperthumperdumper Posts: 374 Deckhand
    So this is how you do it. I grew up here so I know the area VERY WELL. If you have a 17 key west follow the red line. It is all deep channel (8ft to 20ft). If you follow the blue line it is usually 3 feet at the beginning but it turns shallow where that blue circle is. It is a little sandbar and there is a small gap that is 2-2.5ft deep on the south part of it but it shifts. Then you have to stay in that little channel that parallels the island. Its 3-4 feet in that channel but get shallow QUICK on the south side of it. You are best taking the red route. The flats to the east in the picture are 1-3ft depending where and the water level. We used to run in 12 foot jon boats with 15hps and would hit in some spots and some spots be fine. trolling motor (or pref to drift) you can catch some decent trout/reds in there.

Now once you get out to open river you gotta be careful. The channel marker signs are kind of everywhere. You will cut a bit north once past the golf course to align yourself with the markers. Either follow them through then go north or south OR parallel the golf course. I dont know where you want to go. Just make sure you are in that channel. Also the no wake zone ends a little bit in that channel. All along the golf course is no wake zone. Cops do look for that. Sometimes they sit way away with binocs and watch then haul *** to catch you.

Other than that - easy peezy

Just follow the red and you will be fine.
    Hey Thumper, when was the last time you crossed over the "channel" across the river? That is the worst part, it's 3' if you're lucky at high tide, same goes for the northern cut too. You can also go south at ramp road(toward shortys pocket), but it's the same depth issue down there too. If it's low tide or wind from the east... you better pole it or trim up and pay attention.
    Its been a few months. I can imagine - it was always around 5 feet but I can see it filling in due to lack of flow through it.
    Thanks for posting that, thumperdumper!!

What I had in mind was fishing that area, around the residential area canals and into the river along the east side of MI. I have one of those "Top Spot" charts, and it shows several areas around there as being decent spots to try. Seriously: I'd be happy with anything that fights a bit. Edible is good. Bigger is better. I know guys who look at anything except a big snook or red as junk. Not me. I'm just as happy catching a small tarpon, nice jack or ladyfish as a red or trout.

I live in Melbourne and the areas I used to go to (through about '90) aren't doing much anymore. We've fished around the Inlet a bunch and haven't done anything worthwhile there, either. I'm just trying to learn some places to go.
  • Fishin4AMissionFishin4AMission Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Cocoa beach area is full of brown alge right now. Fishing very slow, down in the Sebastian and vero area should be much better right now.
    Shrimp near the mangroves. Trout and Sheepies I am sure.
    Shrimp near the mangroves. Trout and Sheepies I am sure.

No. It's been bad. Been fishing with live shrimp and not even catching blowfish or catfish. I agree with the brown algae theory.
    ^ eww dang. Was going to bring my boat when I went to visit some people there but maybe not now haha