Home Ask the Law!

Rod Lmit

ChasintailadvChasintailadv Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it here or in the reg book.
How many rods am I legally aloud at one time? I'm not looking to go crazy but just want to know if I can use 2 set lines and throw a a third Rod while waiting?
Thanks!

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,015 Moderator
    I don't know where you are from, but I've been fishing Florida for 45 years and have never heard of a rod limit. I know there are some places that do have a limit, but Florida is not one of them. Some tournaments limit the number of rods/baits in the water at any one time, but it's not State law
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    No problem.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,482 Officer
    Are you talking about bridge/pier/surf fishing or on a boat?
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I think some piers may have a limit that one angler can use but that is not a law it is just a pier rule. No law I know of but, you are not allowed to leave a rod unattended.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • HootsterHootster Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Boca Grande has a rod limit
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Hootster wrote: »
    Boca Grande has a rod limit
    Only during April, May, and June (three lines/boat). I don't think there are, nor have I been able to find, any other rod/line limits.
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • HABUHABU Posts: 111 Officer
    Law says you can't fish with more than three at a time.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,015 Moderator
    HABU wrote: »

Is that in Boca Grande, or throughout the state. If it's State law, please cite the statute
  • HABUHABU Posts: 111 Officer
    Is that in Boca Grande, or throughout the state. If it's State law, please cite the statute

I've been fishing in this, my home state for well over 3 decades, and was a member of B.A.S.S. when I was younger (for what it's worth,) and I know I didn't pull that figure out of my *** so I must've come across it sometime in the past.

However, after a brief online search of the state regs I could not find it. I suppose it is possible they've changed this portion of the law in the past 20 some odd years or perhaps I confused it with something else (though I doubt that.)
  • cmaustin80cmaustin80 Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Had FWC tell me once that they go by how many rods you can physically tend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chad
  • tears143tears143 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    cmaustin80 wrote: »
    they go by how many rods you can physically tend.
    I don't think it's a law but a unsaid rule out of respect for other fishermen. If it is really slow, I might have 3 out but never feel a need for having more than that. You can carry as many rod as you want but having all of them in the water is just stupid when you can't tend to them.
  • cmaustin80cmaustin80 Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    When I used to fish the jetties solo 3 was my limit. 2 out with bait & one rigged with a lure.
    I gave up jetty fishing years ago because 90% of the people out there would have to spread 10 rods a piece all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chad
  • CpsdadCpsdad Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I've fished Florida my whole life and have never heard of one.
  • HABU wrote: »

Dang, I troll 7 rods solo all the time.....
  • ChasintailadvChasintailadv Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm down here on vacation for a month and just don't want to get a ticket. I was thinking of surf fishing with 2 set rods and casting a third.
    Thanks again!!!
  • JohnathanJohnathan Posts: 14 Greenhorn
  • SteveJaxSteveJax Posts: 45 Deckhand
    http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/tarpon/

Boca Grande Pass Regulations:
    During the months of April, May and June, no more than three fishing lines may be deployed from a vessel at any one time.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    I know this doesn't help but wondering if it might be (or have been) species specific. I haven't fished the surf for pompano for over 25 years but I could swear there used to be rule/law that you were only allowed to fish 3 rods at one time.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    When i was growing up near the Rickenbacker Causeway in Miami (1960's), me and several other middle school kids would peddle our bikes all the way to the second bridge to fish for mackerel only to find that a group of adults had spread out as many as ten rods apiece and took up the entire middle section of the catwalk where most of the mackerel action was taking place. When we tried to fish in-between their unattended rods fights broke out. The older middle school kids lost the first few scuffles with the adults, but then they grouped up and defended themselves, and pummeled a couple of the most aggressive and largest adults to submission. Soon the authorities passed a regulation limiting the number of rods on those bridges to 2 or 3 per person and posted signs and enforced it.

I have always wondered if that regulation is still hiding on the books somewhere.

I have been fishing for mackerel on that same bridge in the past few years and a few of the old line Latino's will space out three rods to take up 30 feet of rail space. Most often they are not actually fishing with two of their three rods. In other words, two of their rods are just leaning against the railing sometimes without even a line in the water. Obviously this tactic is just a ploy to keep other fisherman away; if you set up just to the left or right of one of their unattended rods they sometimes get upset. Before the advent of cell phones they would actually pull knives and threaten you to leave, but the phones seem to have brought some civility to this bridge.... at least in the daylight hours. However, i have been warned by a couple of regulars that the Rickenbacker can still be a dangerous place late at night when most of the fisherman are drinking alcohol heavily.
    Giimoozaabi
  • HABU wrote: »

Absolutely not true and never was true.

How many trolling lines do you think we fish down here on the SE coast? I fish 7 if I'm solo and maybe 9 if I have a crew
  • BertBert Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I do this ALL the time, standard setup for me.
  • BertBert Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Bert wrote: »
    I do this ALL the time, standard setup for me.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm down here on vacation for a month and just don't want to get a ticket. I was thinking of surf fishing with 2 set rods and casting a third.
    Thanks again!!!
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    I seem to remember that lake worth pier limits you to 3 rods per person on the pier. It may have something to do with the way that the pier is licensed to allow people without their own license to fish. It may just be their policy.
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
  • Sean10171Sean10171 Posts: 4 Greenhorn