Home Ask the Law!

In state fishing licence for my daughter who lives in 2 states?

crroy09crroy09 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Hello,
I have equal custody of my daughter who is 17 years old. Her other home is Washington state. Washington does not recognize custody in the traditional sense, we have what's called a "parenting plan" where she lives here all summer and school breaks while attending school out of state back in Washington. I legally have equal rights to my daughter, so is it okay for me to purchase her an in state yearly fishing licence for when she's home?
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Come check out my Videos on YouTube, just search for Kayak Chris

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeaTEsauZDkE2qu1DXyu-ow[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    A person can only be a resident of one state - Generally defined as where one lives six months or more. What state do you (and her mother) consider her to be a resident?

Does she have a FL driver's license? If so then no problem. If not then it might be a bit harder to justify. I'm thinking that a state agency would consider that where she attends school might determine residency. FL requires proof of residency for hunt/fish licenses and for minors without a DL - One of the proofs can be a school ID, the other is you showing your proof of residency. That said, you could probably get her a resident license while she's under 18, but after that she'll have to meet the more stringent requirements.

More info: http://www.myfwc.com/license/recreational/florida-residency/

Daz
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 505 Officer
    Daz wrote: »
    A person can only be a resident of one state - Generally defined as where one lives six months or more. What state do you (and her mother) consider her to be a resident?

Does she have a FL driver's license? If so then no problem. If not then it might be a bit harder to justify. I'm thinking that a state agency would consider that where she attends school might determine residency. FL requires proof of residency for hunt/fish licenses and for minors without a DL - One of the proofs can be a school ID, the other is you showing your proof of residency. That said, you could probably get her a resident license while she's under 18, but after that she'll have to meet the more stringent requirements.

More info: http://www.myfwc.com/license/recreational/florida-residency/

Daz

This is incorrect. Federal law allows US Citizens to simultaneuously be residents of two states. However, most states have laws which only allow one state at a time to be the domicile. For adults, this is usually the state where one holds a driver's license and is registered to vote. (It is more complex for service members.) For a minor who holds a driver's license, it is likely that the parents have declared the state the minor got their license in to be the state of domicile. Most state laws relating to in-state hunting and fishing licenses really require that state to be the state of domicile and not merely residence. It is not too hard for parents to make a case for in-state tuition in either state a parent resides in (in cases of dependents with joint custody), but the case for an in-state hunting or fishing license is much harder. If the minor has a DL in a state other than FL, you will need to pay for the out of state license.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Maybe I should have said that a person can generally only have one primary domicile rather than that they can only be a resident of one state, and that most states only allow a person to have "resident" status in one state when determining eligibility for resident vs. non-resident benefits, taxes, etc..

At least one of us was trying to be helpful anyway.
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 505 Officer
    Daz wrote: »
    Maybe I should have said that a person can generally only have one primary domicile rather than that they can only be a resident of one state, and that most states only allow a person to have "resident" status in one state when determining eligibility for resident vs. non-resident benefits, taxes, etc..

At least one of us was trying to be helpful anyway.

I was trying to give a more complete picture that is likely to arise as soon as the teen begins filling out college applications, which has far larger financial implications than the fishing license.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]