Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Rodman During the Drawdown

My dad loves Rodman reservoir and with the drawdown going on and his health being what it is thinking about taking him out next week for hopefully a banner day of shiner bass fishing.

We'll be coming from the Clearwater area but was wondering if there was any local intel on the best place to put in? Also any idea on a good place to get shiners up there?

Replies

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 1,012 Officer
    FWC office in Lake City ((386) 758-0525) should have someone on top of the access question.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    if you google rodman reservoir bait shop about 3 places come up..there is a days inn @ silver springs.

why not Panasoffkee ? much more convenient and a lot less driving around , if you stay at pana vista lodge.

I'd recommend south moon fish camp in astor also.
  • capt louiecapt louie Posts: 10,939 Moderator
    Kenwood landing. If I recall there is a bait shop up road past there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 3,130 Captain
    That bait shop down the road from Kenwood has closed. I get mine in Hawthorne at Hawthorne bait. Either put in at Kenwood or orange springs. You shouldn't have a hard time putting him on shiner fish. I'd try around where the old river channel and the barge canal meet.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • capt louiecapt louie Posts: 10,939 Moderator
    That bait shop down the road from Kenwood has closed. I get mine in Hawthorne at Hawthorne bait. Either put in at Kenwood or orange springs. You shouldn't have a hard time putting him on shiner fish. I'd try around where the old river channel and the barge canal meet.

Thanks , didn't know that.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • kmander3kmander3 Posts: 107 Officer
    Thanks for all the tips and ideas shared.
  • s10s10 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Kenwood temp ramp is good, was there over the holidays plenty of parking, just be careful launching, the temp ramp drops offs quickly into the barge canal. Messer's in Palatka has shiners if you are over that way.
  • smhsmh Posts: 341 Deckhand
    Like others have said, try putting in at the temporary ramps at Kenwood or Orange Springs. The Orange Springs ramp was a little rutted-up, but DEP employees laid down more rock and repaired it. A man in Orange Springs by the name of Howard sells boatloads of shiners to Rodman anglers. They are usually in high demand, so you might want to give him a call (352-546-1213) beforehand and have him hold some for you.
  • kmander3kmander3 Posts: 107 Officer
    Well we gave it a try. Between the wind, the cold and some of the issues we were having navigating (mud not stumps) we only actually had baits in the water for about an hour. So we had a late start and early stop and no fish but all the advice given here was great. Especially Howards shinners. They are insane especially for the price. I've got them on an aquarium pump at home hoping I can keep them alive till Sunday when I can try and introduce them to some bass on Lake Tarpon.