Question, 2005 Hewes 16 Redfisher

CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
I need to move weight forward in my 16ft Hewes. I'm considering moving 1 or 2 batteries to the forward
storage area just behind the anchor locker. It appears strong enough, my concern is the pounding on a daily
basis the boat experiences in a chop, Is all that weight to much over the long haul???

Thanks Bill

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    It's very common to find trolling motor batteries in that compartment. So you should be ok. Be sure to secure them properly and Don't run any wires over any fuel lines. Went out with on a friends boat that had a bow mounted TM. He had a foot switch rigged in that shorted out. Luckily, it started smoking and I was able to shut off power. When I dug into the rigging to fix it. I found the power wire had melted its counduit and was half way thru the fuel vent line. As long as your cautious with your routeing, you should be fine.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 386 Deckhand
    I have an '09. If it is like mine you will need to build a bottom in there. My compartment is a V at the bottom. Are you moving them from the console?
  • CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Fortunately mine has a flat area large enough for two batteries although I will only relocate one from the console. The F 90
    4 stroke is a little heavy + my 280lb butt is to much for the little boat. The compartment looks sturdy enough, my concern
    is the pounding the boat may encounter could damage the locker.