Home Politics

Police Shoot and kill another BB gun weilding Individual

2»

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    I guess I have been too busy to watch the local news but I missed this one. Although, to be fair, there seems to be a preponderance of stabbings/shootings/beatings and hair pullings in that region. So it may not seem that sensational here?

Oh, and politically, Hampton Roads, DC suburbs and Richmond city seem to dictate the elections in our state now. Avoiding some areas there is the best idea. Looks like we could become Illinois in a few more cycles.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    So, if the gun was real does that make things different?

If the cops thought the gun was real, they should not have put themselves in a position to be immediately shot. Like drive with two feet of a shooter and get out of the car. If it had been a real gun and the person wanted to shoot a cop, they would be dead. Their first action on the scene would have either killed them, or killed the "gun man" because at that close range, how do you tell if someone is gonna drop a gun or shoot?
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    If the cops thought the gun was real, they should not have put themselves in a position to be immediately shot. Like drive with two feet of a shooter and get out of the car. If it had been a real gun and the person wanted to shoot a cop, they would be dead. Their first action on the scene would have either killed them, or killed the "gun man" because at that close range, how do you tell if someone is gonna drop a gun or shoot?

^^^Proof that you can be anything you want to be on the internet....suddenly our resident Planet Saving Hippie has become a Police Tactics Expert....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    I for one am thankful that there are officers out there willing to put themselves in harms way because they believe someone is threatening to kill people.

I don't think trailing at a safe distance and watching a gunman fire at people is the proper course of action in that scenario.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    ^^^Proof that you can be anything you want to be on the internet....suddenly our resident Planet Saving Hippie has become a Police Tactics Expert....

BS. Tell me I am wrong.
    I for one am thankful that there are officers out there willing to put themselves in harms way because they believe someone is threatening to kill people.

I don't think trailing at a safe distance and watching a gunman fire at people is the proper course of action in that scenario.

There was no one else there. 20 feet versus 2. They ****ed up period.
    BS. Tell me I am wrong.

I can't. I'm not an expert on Police tactics....so I don't know what the correct course of action for the responding officers should have been.
    I can't. I'm not an expert on Police tactics....so I don't know what the correct course of action for the responding officers should have been.

Then listen to the news, all the police they interview are talking about the mistakes the Chicago police made.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/us/in-tamir-rice-shooting-in-cleveland-many-errors-by-police-then-a-fatal-one.html?_r=0
    When the officers raced into action, they took a shortcut that pointed their squad car straight into the park, pulling up so close to Tamir that it made it difficult to take cover, or to use verbal persuasion or other tactics suggested by the department’s use-of-force policy.

Within two seconds of the car’s arrival, Officer Loehmann shot Tamir in the abdomen from point-blank range, raising doubts that he could have warned the boy three times to raise his hands, as the police later claimed.

And when Tamir’s 14-year-old sister came running up minutes later, the officers, who are white, tackled her to the ground and put her in handcuffs, intensifying later public outrage about the boy’s death. When his distraught mother arrived, the officers also threatened to arrest her unless she calmed down, the mother, Samaria Rice, said.
    Then listen to the news, all the police they interview are talking about the mistakes the Chicago police made.

I believe you are the one who needs to get some facts before spouting off.

The case you reference happened in Cleveland.....
    I believe you are the one who needs to get some facts before spouting off.

The case you reference happened in Cleveland.....

Sorry Cleveland. Getting all the bad cop shoots mixed up.
    In 5 years the Chicago police have shot 70 people.

http://www.bettergov.org/news/fatal-shootings-by-chicago-police-tops-among-biggest-us-cities

In 2015 there were 2950 shooting in just that city. In 2014 it was 2587, According to the Chicago tribune.

This place is a war zone, and these cops face a lot of violence, I think giving them the benefit of doubt as we send them out to try and protect the citizenry is probably the best course of action.

The war on cops looks like a contrived outrage to encourage a predetermined outcome.
    There was no one else there. 20 feet versus 2. They ****ed up period.

They made a judgement call, at dusk, with limited information. They were called out to a life threatening situation. I wonder if the police in San Bernardino who rolled up on those pieces of crap gave them 3 orders to show their hands at close range.

Did this kid point it at them or not? If he pointed it at them he got what he got. You don't point anything at a police officer. End of story.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    They made a judgement call, at dusk, with limited information. They were called out to a life threatening situation. I wonder if the police in San Bernardino who rolled up on those pieces of crap gave them 3 orders to show their hands at close range.

Did this kid point it at them or not? If he pointed it at them he got what he got. You don't point anything at a police officer. End of story.

You saw the video. If the LEOs had approached more cautiously rather and sliding to a stop 10 feet from the kid they would have had an opportunity to discover the gun was not real, and the tragedy averted.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    You saw the video. If the LEOs had approached more cautiously rather and sliding to a stop 10 feet from the kid they would have had an opportunity to discover the gun was not real, and the tragedy averted.

And now we are discussing the lethality of a handgun at different distances? If they had slid to a stop 200 yards away they could have taken out a 30.06. And a megaphone.
    dave44 wrote: »
    And now we are discussing the lethality of a handgun at different distances? If they had slid to a stop 200 yards away they could have taken out a 30.06. And a megaphone.

Don't be ridiculous. The cops messed up and killed a kid.

Am I really the ridiculous one? Really.
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer

Those airsoft guns look so real the only way to tell they are not firearms is to have it in your hands and take a good look at it. When my kid got into airsoft I told him that since that gun is virtually indistinguishable from a real gun in the eyes of a cop, we're going to treat it like a real gun. It doesn't leave the house unless we're going to/from the range. While being transported it will remain zipped inside a case. You really can't treat those things like toys even though they are.

And this kid bears no responsibility for pointing what looks like a hand gun at the police? None whatsoever?

Would it made a difference to anyone if it had been a real handgun? Same scenario but real handgun? The police don't have the luxury of debating it when it's pointed at them. I fault the kid for this entire situation. My brother in law is a police officer, with 4 kids. I have no desire to go to his funeral because he is supposed to hold his fire when a gun is being pointed at him.
    bullgator wrote: »
    Those airsoft guns look so real the only way to tell they are not firearms is to have it in your hands and take a good look at it. When my kid got into airsoft I told him that since that gun is virtually indistinguishable from a real gun in the eyes of a cop, we're going to treat it like a real gun. It doesn't leave the house unless we're going to/from the range. While being transported it will remain zipped inside a case. You really can't treat those things like toys even though they are.

You mean there really are responsible and intelligent parents in America? I was losing faith by reading the comments here.
    [/COLOR]

For the most part I agree with you, but the police should have used some degree of caution when approaching anyone they believe is armed.
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    I'm not saying mistakes weren't made and the results weren't tragic, but in all honesty I can't say at what point a mistake becomes a criminal act. I think because the outcome was so tragic, many people are seeing a criminal act where the law does not.
    And this kid bears no responsibility for pointing what looks like a hand gun at the police? None whatsoever?

Would it made a difference to anyone if it had been a real handgun? Same scenario but real handgun? The police don't have the luxury of debating it when it's pointed at them. I fault the kid for this entire situation. My brother in law is a police officer, with 4 kids. I have no desire to go to his funeral because he is supposed to hold his fire when a gun is being pointed at him.

He didn't point the gun at them.
    I'm not saying mistakes weren't made and the results weren't tragic, but in all honesty I can't say at what point a mistake becomes a criminal act. I think because the outcome was so tragic, many people are seeing a criminal act where the law does not.

If you act recklessly and in disregard for another's life.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    Nah just another smoke screener, useful idiot. Must expect a few minor sacrifices for the greater good. Its the agenda above all else.