Home Politics

Police Shoot and kill another BB gun weilding Individual

NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
Paying attention to these situations, apparently this happens way more often than most might have thought.....

Family identifies man killed in officer-involved shooting

SUFFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- A Suffolk man killed in an officer-involved shooting Monday evening has been identified as 28-year-old Corey Achstein.

Achstein was an apprentice at Norfolk Naval Shipyard. He lived next door to his parents and just down the street from where he was killed in the Lakeside neighborhood.

Suffolk Police received multiple calls at around 5:15 p.m. Monday about an armed individual chasing someone in the in the 300 block of Causey Avenue.

According to police, Achstein was threatening to kill three juveniles while pointing a gun at them.

The first officer responding encountered the individual he believed was the suspect. A second officer arrived shortly thereafter.

Police said in a press release Tuesday, "Based upon actions of the suspect and concern for safety, an officer fired one shot striking the suspect. A handgun was recovered in close proximity to the suspect. The investigation has revealed that the gun was actually a realistic style pneumatic bb gun."

Achstein received emergency medical assessment and treatment by emergency responders and was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. He later died at the hospital.

Content taken from and continue reading here: http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/2015/12/29/suffolk-police-investigating-officer-involved-shooting/78013492/

Replies

• phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    The officer fire one shot? He apparently needs more training. What self-respecting police officer doesn't empty his magazine when he/she encounters a threat?

As for this particular shooting, the officer acted properly (in my opinion) and probably in accordance with the law.

Don't point a gun at a police officer.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    As for this particular shooting, the officer acted properly (in my opinion) and probably in accordance with the law.

Don't point a gun at a police officer.

df93cb9a8b26d6fd4a445ddd0b238096.jpg
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    You should post that on the other thread.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    mikev wrote: »
    You should post that on the other thread.

Go right ahead....I don't want to derail your discussion in that thread.
    My discussion is pointless apparently. Round and round, they still refuse to see it.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    My discussion is pointless apparently. Round and round, they still refuse to see it.

It's a real shame that people try to politicize these tragedies.....but alas, it's what the left does.....never let a good tragedy go to waste.

It's no wonder our country is so deeply divided.
    Agreed. There is no objectivity at all. Just put on the blinders and charge. One of them even thinks that I am happy that the kid is dead. Unreal.
    Agreed. There is no objectivity at all. Just put on the blinders and charge. One of them even thinks that I am happy that the kid is dead. Unreal.

Yep...I saw that. Truly disgusting allegations. Not even worth attempting a discussion with that particular individual.
  • theglide96theglide96 Posts: 767 Officer
    Fake weapons appear to be real weapons...non existent rounds exiting a non existing barrel don't kill. Is it a split second reaction process we are asking LEOs to make? Yes. Should they be accountable for making the wrong decision? The dead person wielding a toy was...
    theglide96 wrote: »
    Fake weapons appear to be real weapons...non existent rounds exiting a non existing barrel don't kill. Is it a split second reaction process we are asking LEOs to make? Yes. Should they be accountable for making the wrong decision? The dead person wielding a toy was...

Read your post again and see just how you are trying to justify your point. It doesn't work. It's not a toy until after acticons have taken place - by both parties involved.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,254 AG
    It's sad but it's true:

play stupid games win stupid prizes. The officer in that situation cannot second guess anything. Residential neighborhood, juveniles running around, failing light. This could have been much worse. But it didn't have to happen at all. Where people get the notion they can run around threatening to kill people while holding what appears to be a gun is beyond me.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    As far as this particular incident goes I agree that the officer was justified in the shooting.

My point is more about the big picture of law enforcement shootings. Maybe this isn't the best thread for that though.
  • Different world than what I grew up in.

How many had Army rifle to play army. handguns and holsters to play cowboys and Indians, and heck, I went to college nearly every day with my shotgun in the rack on my truck and went dove hunting between classes. BB guns, yes, pellet guns, yes.

I guess I learn at a young age to never point a real gun at anyone you did not plan to kill.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,254 AG
    Different world than what I grew up in.

How many had Army rifle to play army. handguns and holsters to play cowboys and Indians, and heck, I went to college nearly every day with my shotgun in the rack on my truck and went dove hunting between classes. BB guns, yes, pellet guns, yes.

I guess I learn at a young age to never point a real gun at anyone you did not plan to kill.

You don't point anything resembling a gun at a police officer. You don't have to grow up around firearms to know that. That's pretty common knowledge.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • Reel Mayhem TooReel Mayhem Too Posts: 1,332 Officer
    theglide96 wrote: »

Will you allow me to shoot you in the eye at 50 feet with a CO2 pellet gun ? After all, you consider it a " non existent " round right ?
    Certainly!! Sounds fun! "you'll shoot yer eye out..."
    It could easily kill you as well as put your eye out, which is why it is considered a weapon and not a toy, which was my point.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    many kids today answer to no one..... "authority" is meaningless, ask any teacher
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Way different than the Tamir shooting. Did the bad cops really drive within a couple feet of a person wielding a gun (albeit fake gun) and get out of the car? For commands to drop gun and multiple shots in less than 2 seconds. Who in the hell is gonna believe that nonsense. Complete and utter cop incompetence is what that was.... that caused a boys death.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Complete and utter cop incompetence is what that was.... that caused a boys death.

Keep telling yourself that. One day you'll believe it. Most objective people don't.

[edit] So what would Cyclist do in that situation?
    It could easily kill you as well as put your eye out, which is why it is considered a weapon and not a toy, which was my point.

So?...a candlestick in the study could easily kill Col. Mustard...should we shoot Prof Plum when he picks up the candlestick?
    A green pine needle inserted through the nostril can kill, should we burn down all of the pine forests ? You like to play don't you ?
    Keep telling yourself that. One day you'll believe it. Most objective people don't.

[edit] So what would Cyclist do in that situation?

First of all you don't get out of the car within two feet of a "gun welding" person so that the only option is to shoot them. If the cops truly thought the guy was a threat then why did they do that? Major mistake. There was no one there to protect, so there was no need. I know hindsight and all, but I would think that would be a basic maneuver, don't put yourself in the line of fire...
    You like to play don't you ?

Aww you say that to all the strippers dont ya?
    First of all you don't get out of the car within two feet of a "gun welding" person so that the only option is to shoot them. If the cops truly thought the guy was a threat then why did they do that? Major mistake. There was no one there to protect, so there was no need. I know hindsight and all, but I would think that would be a basic maneuver, don't put yourself in the line of fire...

Do you think he would have been shot had he not been armed?
    A green pine needle inserted through the nostril can kill,

I don't know why, but I LOL'd on that one. How the hell can someone do that? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,482 Officer

From what I gather, the police were dispatched because of a kid walking around with what "may" be a toy gun as told by dispatch. When said kid was approached, did he not pull the gun?

Should police just have followed at a safe distance to wait and see if the lad had a real gun and shot somebody?
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    I don't know why, but I LOL'd on that one. How the hell can someone do that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Although true, it was the absurdity of his question that led to the absurdity of mine. Which was, by the way, meant to cause laughter.
    From what I gather, the police were dispatched because of a kid walking around with what "may" be a toy gun as told by dispatch. When said kid was approached, did he not pull the gun?

Should police just have followed at a safe distance to wait and see if the lad had a real gun and shot somebody?

First, the tape does not show him pulling a gun. He reached for his waistband where the gun was. Was he gonna drop it like they told him too?

The cops supposedly yelled "drop the gun" four times in less than two seconds before they started shooting. It appears that they were not prepared to let the kid drop the toy gun. Why not? Because they ****ed up big time and drove too close and put their lives in "danger". Professionals against a 12 yo boy with a toy gun. Their incompetence put them in a situation where they "thought" they were in danger. They put themselves in situation where the kid had to die and they had an excuse. BUT, it was their incompetence that caused the situation, the boys death is on their hands. You think the kid wanted to die by pulling a toy gun on cops? It was a no win situation for the kid playing in the park.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,482 Officer
    First, the tape does not show him pulling a gun. He reached for his waistband where the gun was. Was he gonna drop it like they told him too?

The cops supposedly yelled "drop the gun" four times in less than two seconds before they started shooting. It appears that they were not prepared to let the kid drop the toy gun. Why not? Because they ****ed up big time and drove too close and put their lives in "danger". Professionals against a 12 yo boy with a toy gun. Their incompetence put them in a situation where they "thought" they were in danger. They put themselves in situation where the kid had to die and they had an excuse. BUT, it was their incompetence that caused the situation, the boys death is on their hands. You think the kid wanted to die by pulling a toy gun on cops? It was a no win situation for the kid playing in the park.

So, if the gun was real does that make things different?
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck