Home Politics

Air Force Honor Guard - I'm mad

mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
I don't want this to get political, as I don't think it's the government really that has taken this away. But this really makes me mad.
When a veteran or member of the armed forces dies, he or she is entitled to a ceremony that includes the presentation of a U.S. flag to a family member and a bugler blowing Taps. Most of the time, there is a three-volley rifle salute if requested by family members. But now, if the deceased served in the Air Force, the three-volley salute is not an option because the Air Force can no longer support riflemen for funeral services for veteran retirees.

Read more....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/24/air-force-will-no-longer-fire-three-volley-salutes-at-veteran-funerals.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

I was in the Air Force and I was on the Honor Guard. It really was an honor to perform funerals for our veterans. But this is ridiculous. The Air Force CAN afford it. When I was in, this was a strictly volunteer thing to do. You got time off of regular work (if you were allowed) to do these things. This is horrible.
"The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."

Replies

• Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer
    Mike, the funerary honors were changed in 2013, You just now are getting wind of this?

A seven man detail was also never a required, only 2. If you are retired Honor Guard you are more than welcome to volunteer to perform the service.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Plan Sea wrote: »
    Mike, the funerary honors were changed in 2013, You just now are getting wind of this?

A seven man detail was also never a required, only 2. If you are retired Honor Guard you are more than welcome to volunteer to perform the service.

I had no idea that they changed it. And no, I'm not retired or else I would. I still think this is one big POS thing. They have the manpower, easy. GI's are paid 24 hours a day. This is ridiculous.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer
    mikev wrote: »
    I had no idea that they changed it. And no, I'm not retired or else I would. I still think this is one big POS thing. They have the manpower, easy. GI's are paid 24 hours a day. This is ridiculous.

This applies to Veterans NOT killed in service. There are plenty of Guard or Reserve units, DAV or the American Legion organizations that can provide the service as they often have.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    They ran out of bullets.
    This applies to Veterans NOT killed in service. There are plenty of Guard or Reserve units, DAV or the American Legion organizations that can provide the service as they often have.

As I read it, it's only the Air Force, not the rest of the services. When my Father died earlier this year, he had full military honors. I think they have a full-time honor guard at the national Cemeteries though.

And I still think this is one big, stinking POS though. Our veterans deserve this. If you've ever been to a military funeral, you'll never forget it.
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    They ran out of bullets.

Actually they are blanks. But I get your point. They can borrow some from the Army.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Mike...
    my cousin, who was a 'nam vet died a year ago...
    his service at the Biloxi VA National Cemetery only had an honor guard and a bugler playing "Taps"....

a close friend of mine that died several years ago was a 'nam vet with two PH's and a bronze star with two clusters and a silver star...
    he also received the same treatment...

the unloading of those who made the ultimate sacrifice(Iraq and Afghanistan) are not allowed to be photographed when in fact, they should have a full Honor Guard...my opinion...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral

I have a friend who is very active in the VFW. He has been doing funerals for years. He and his unit take great pride in their service.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr