Home Egret Boats

Looking to sea trial an Egret

Bokeelia#1Bokeelia#1 Posts: 12 Deckhand
Any suggestions on how to get a ride on an Egret 167 or 189. I'm in the Cape Coral/ Bokeelia area. I have Gas money or will rent your charter for a half day. Thanks!

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Bokeelia#1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on how to get a ride on an Egret 167 or 189. I'm in the Cape Coral/ Bokeelia area. I have Gas money or will rent your charter for a half day. Thanks!

Here's a link to a used 16'7" that has a motivated seller: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?208552-16-7-Egret-Carbon-Kevlar

The 16'7" and the 18'9" are two totally different boats. One wasn't made by shortening or stretching the other. Depending on how and where you fish, along with how many people are fishing with you. Wwould be the main deciding factor in which boat is best for you. In my opinion, the only advantage the 16 has over the 18 is that it's a lot easier to pole. Good Luck...Pete
  • GinClearGinClear Richmond WestPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Hi Pete. We meet at Biscayne National park a few years ago and I took you and your wife for a short paddle tour. I'm getting ready to get with Frank in the coming months to put together a build request for a 189. Any chance I can get a ride on your Egret with that 140 Suzuki?

Mike C

[email protected]
    GinClear wrote: »
    Hi Pete. We meet at Biscayne National park a few years ago and I took you and your wife for a short paddle tour. I'm getting ready to get with Frank in the coming months to put together a build request for a 189. Any chance I can get a ride on your Egret with that 140 Suzuki?

Mike C

[email protected]

Sure thing Mike. sending you an email.
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    GinClear wrote: »

Mike C

[email protected]

Mike...I have a 2015 189 with a Suzuki 140....be happy to share my build list and afterthoughts...all positive.
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    If you find yourself a bit further north (between Port Charlotte and Englewood) and want a ride in a FL 167 c/K with a 90 Suzuki, just let me know. She's in the garage right now waiting for me to rewire the float switch, but she'll be back on the lift soon and ready to go.
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
    Mike,
    Hope this is not what your expecting, remember that it's a Suzuki not an Evinrude.:grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-fy87rSSwk
  • Bokeelia#1Bokeelia#1 Posts: 12 Deckhand
    That would be great. I would be more than happy to pay for gas, etc for a ride. I'll send you a PM.
    Bokeelia#1 wrote: »
    That would be great. I would be more than happy to pay for gas, etc for a ride. I'll send you a PM.
    gal218 wrote: »
    Mike...I have a 2015 189 with a Suzuki 140....be happy to share my build list and afterthoughts...all positive.

Gal218 has the same engine as I do but on a much new 18 Egret. He's also close to you than I am. However, I can also take you for a ride and explain the boat; it design; construction etc.
    Gal218 has the same engine as I do but on a much new 18 Egret. He's also close to you than I am. However, I can also take you for a ride and explain the boat; it design; construction etc.

Pete can do a better job of explaining the boat...however, I'm closer and the boat is newer...take your pick.

Pete, come on over and explain the boat while we go for a ride!
    I'm curious, what is you top speed with on your boat with your Suzuki 140?

Years ago I got 46mph full fuel, 1 baitwell full, cooler with ice and drinks, castnet, and fishing tackle for 3 anglers.
    I'm curious, what is you top speed with on your boat with your Suzuki 140?

Years ago I got 46mph full fuel, 1 bait well full, cooler with ice and drinks, cast net, and fishing tackle for 3 anglers.

I top out at just over 40 with a loaded boat (two anglers, full tank, two wells filled, two cast nets, cooler full, rods, etc._)

Fast enough for me...I don't run very far. My Hewes with Yamaha 150 was much faster...realized I didn't need the speed when I got the 189.
    gal218 wrote: »
    I top out at just over 40 with a loaded boat (two anglers, full tank, two wells filled, two cast nets, cooler full, rods, etc._)

Fast enough for me...I don't run very far. My Hewes with Yamaha 150 was much faster...realized I didn't need the speed when I got the 189.

Your Hewes was faster in calm water. But put that boat up against you current boat side by side in nasty conditions and I'll be that in 5 minutes all you'll see when you look back is a tiny spec.
    Your Hewes was faster in calm water. But put that boat up against you current boat side by side in nasty conditions and I'll be that in 5 minutes all you'll see when you look back is a tiny spec.

I couldn't agree more! Wouldn't trade my 189 for any other boat...great ride, layout, storage, etc. etc.
  • ffmcrossffmcross Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I don't mean to hijack this post but I was curious to see if either or both owners of the 189 could email me. I would like to ask your honest opinions about your boat. I am comparing it to a Hewes 18 Redfisher. I am looking at buying barely used or brand new.

Thanks
    Matt
    ffmcross wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack this post but I was curious to see if either or both owners of the 189 could email me. I would like to ask your honest opinions about your boat. I am comparing it to a Hewes 18 Redfisher. I am looking at buying barely used or brand new.

Thanks
    Matt

I don't need to send a private email to give an honest opinion...I ordered early in 2015 and have no regrets...am extremely happy. After ordering, I sold my Hewes Light Tackle 18. In my opinion, there is no comparison...build quality, ride, stability, layout, storage, etc.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Sea trial both in 15 knots of wind or more - your decision will be easy.
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    Sea trial both in 15 knots of wind or more - your decision will be easy.

I think that all you have to do is launch them both at your favorite ramp. have your two best friends sit along side you and see which boat gets water in the floor when you remove the cockpit drain plugs. You won't find water in the Egret nor will you find drai plugs. You can also check to see which one has better storage. Wait there's no room for the KOOLAID man in the Hewes. I could go on but why bother. I'm sure you get my drift, oh yea forgot one thing. Do a search on here maybe you'll find where I said in the past. that I wouldn't trade my old Egret for a new whatever flats boat.
    I think that all you have to do is launch them both at your favorite ramp. have your two best friends sit along side you and see which boat gets water in the floor when you remove the cockpit drain plugs. You won't find water in the Egret nor will you find drai plugs. You can also check to see which one has better storage. Wait there's no room for the KOOLAID man in the Hewes. I could go on but why bother. I'm sure you get my drift, oh yea forgot one thing. Do a search on here maybe you'll find where I said in the past. that I wouldn't trade my old Egret for a new whatever flats boat.

Pete...I remember those days all too well. Water in the cockpit: get up on plane, use trim tabs to tilt boat and move the water to one side, let water drain and then put drain plugs back in place.