Home Tropics

Finally New Regs on bringing fish back from the Bahamas!

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
(South Atlantic)

FB15-094

[email protected]
727-824-5305

December 28, 2015

NOAA Fisheries Announces New Regulations for Dolphin Wahoo and Snapper-Grouper

The final rule implementing Amendment 7 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Dolphin Wahoo Fishery of the Atlantic and Amendment 33 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region (Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 7 and Snapper-Grouper Amendment 33) published on December 28, 2015 (80 FR 80686). Regulations will be effective on January 27, 2016.

The management measures in Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 7 and Snapper-Grouper Amendment 33 address dolphin, wahoo, and snapper-grouper species lawfully harvested by recreational fishers in The Bahamas and brought into the U.S. federal waters.

The final rule will:
• Allow recreational fishermen to bring fillets of dolphin and wahoo from The Bahamas into the U.S. federal waters and update regulations that currently allow recreational fishermen to bring snapper-grouper fillets from The Bahamas into the U.S. federal waters.
• Specify two fillets are equivalent to one fish for dolphin, wahoo, and snapper-grouper species brought into the U.S. federal waters from The Bahamas.
• Require fishers to retain skin on the entire fillet of dolphin, wahoo, and snapper-grouper species.
• Require fishing gear to be stowed while transiting the U.S. federal waters from The Bahamas. A vessel carrying fillets of dolphin, wahoo, or snapper-grouper species lawfully harvested in Bahamian waters would not be allowed to stop in the U.S. federal waters during the transit.
• Require stamped and dated passports, as well as valid current Bahamian cruising and fishing permits to prove that the recreational fishers were in The Bahamas.
• Not allow recreationally caught dolphin, wahoo, or snapper-grouper from The Bahamas to be sold or purchased in the U.S.
• Not exempt recreational fishermen from any other Federal fishing regulations such as fishing seasons, recreational bag limits, size limits, and prohibited species.
More Information

For more information on the proposed rule for Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 7 and Snapper-Grouper Amendment 33, please follow this link to the Frequently Asked Questions:
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/generic/2015/dw7_sg33/index.html.

Replies

• followotherboatsfollowotherboats Posts: 445 Deckhand
    If you go for multiple days, are you allowed your U.S. limit each day? For example, if you go 2 days and have 3 people on the boat, can you bring back 60 yellowtail or are you only allowed to bring back one days worth?

Regarding lobster, if you leave Miami out of Bear cut, do you use Monroe's limits or dades per person? Again, can you bring back more then one days worth?

COnch, I'm pretty sure it has to be conch salad correct?
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,824 Admin
    • Require fishing gear to be stowed while transiting the U.S. federal waters from The Bahamas. A vessel carrying fillets of dolphin, wahoo, or snapper-grouper species lawfully harvested in Bahamian waters would not be allowed to stop in the U.S. federal waters during the transit.

Well, that's not good.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    Stupid is as stupid does. what is next Coast Guard camping out on the EEZ...looking to go after people on the wrong side.
    What in the hell is the definition of a fillet ? What if you have an extra large one and cut it in two...twice. did you just make 2, 3 or 4 fish out of one ? How about a bad gaff shot. clean up the hole end up with two..?
    Skin on will not work with large Tunas and making steaks..? Stow gear..? it is stowed.. in the F'in rod holder you dolt ! That is where is lives.
    ****,****,****. The stupid is strong with these folks.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,682 Admiral
    dpdash wrote: »
    Still BS

Totally agree. In the future, you will start seeing a lot more people leaving their boats over there or just buying a cheap "Bahama boat" to fish on when you are in the Islands and flying back and forth. The regulations are less restrictive if you fly your seafood home.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Honestly, I can't ever imagine leaving my boat over there. Yikes.
    2003 Viking 45C
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 418 Deckhand
    I agree with the consensus.... These suck. The lack of guidance on conch and other fish is also surprising.
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    Exactly!
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    abacofever wrote: »
    Stupid is as stupid does. what is next Coast Guard camping out on the EEZ...looking to go after people on the wrong side.
    What in the hell is the definition of a fillet ? What if you have an extra large one and cut it in two...twice. did you just make 2, 3 or 4 fish out of one ? How about a bad gaff shot. clean up the hole end up with two..?
    Skin on will not work with large Tunas and making steaks..? Stow gear..? it is stowed.. in the F'in rod holder you dolt ! That is where is lives.
    ****,****,****. The stupid is strong with these folks.

EXACTLY!!
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • ShanecarrollShanecarroll Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    captaintj wrote: »
    EXACTLY!!

I have never been over to Bahamas on my boat .but am starting this year and had heard u could process your 3 or 4 day catch and freeze and get a bohemian guide if u hired one to write you a receipt that you purchased it and bring it back .is that true .
  • ShanecarrollShanecarroll Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I have not been fishing in Bahamas on my boat but plan on it this year.I have heard from others that you can clean and freeze and have a bohemian write you a receipt saying you purchased conch fish lobster etc...is this true or has anyone done such..
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,682 Admiral
    I have not been fishing in Bahamas on my boat but plan on it this year.I have heard from others that you can clean and freeze and have a bohemian write you a receipt saying you purchased conch fish lobster etc...is this true or has anyone done such..

No, and don't trust those Bohemians.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    If you go for multiple days, are you allowed your U.S. limit each day? For example, if you go 2 days and have 3 people on the boat, can you bring back 60 yellowtail or are you only allowed to bring back one days worth? ?

Why would you be able to do that? You can't even do that in the US waters on a multiple day trip on a private boat. You still have to follow the US regulations. Not sure what the mystery is? You wouldn't be legal under Bahamian laws either with 60 yellow tails either. no matter how many days.

I'm with dpdash and the others...not any real help to me. Not really feasible to keep whole, skin-on fillets of wahoo and tuna. Whole purpose of cleaning the fish is efficient storage and best preservation of the meat....and this does not help. I understand the rules are written so they can be enforced, but that doesn't always line up with best practices.