Home Sportsman's Kitchen

SAILFISH????

Never like to kill a sail but a friend of mine had a sail that didnt make it to release, and just so happend to give me a fillet of it. I would normally smoke it but my smoker took a crap on me. I have heard from a couple friends that grilled sail is amazing, have any of you grilled sailfish before? Any tip or what other ways have you cooked it?

Thanks, Stevie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    never had it but i would treat it like cobia or wahoo
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I had it grilled in the Bahamas. Very good. Tasted like it was marinated in a dressing (maybe Italian) and then basted at the end with a diluted sauce.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    And nick- that is/was the funniest skit I have ever seen... the black, blind, orphaned, white supremesist, Clayton Bigsby. That and Rick James with Charlie Murphy.
  • JaxNoleJaxNole Posts: 1,705 Captain
    And nick- that is/was the funniest skit I have ever seen... the black, blind, orphaned, white supremesist, Clayton Bigsby. That and Rick James with Charlie Murphy.

It is certainly up there. Can't believe he walked away from his show like he did.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    Dave was the master and how can you leave out Tyrone Biggums?:ontopic
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,112 Captain
    I heard sailfish was amazing as well but that was not my experience.
    Had it once a long time ago here in FL. It was ok at best.
    I was told it was coated in mayo prior to grilling to keep the moisture in as they dry out easily. Dont know the accuracy of this but that's what the cook said.

I find wahoo and cobia to be better on the grill. I'm sure some places outside of the US make sailfish much better as they have more experience, specifically places where it is acceptable to put a gaff into them.

Did you cook it? How did you do it and how did it turn out?
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea