Best Fillet Knife Under $200

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,486 AG
    Dexter - Russel

They are also good for breasting out ducks...

20160101_153223_zpsxtxcejpi.jpg
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 530 Officer
    I like a nice knife and I have some nice, high dollar custom made knives for work and hunting.

I would like to have a nice filet knife for the kitchen but it would never see the boat.

To be honest, just as there is no perfect boat, or perfect gun for every purpose, there is no perfect knife, not even the narrowly focused filet knife. Fileting a 10" mangrove snapper is not a yellowfin tuna.

I use a $100 Wustoff classic filet knife in the kitchen, a $20 Dexter in my tackle bag, and a smaller $5 bait knife on the boat. I also have a Spyderco Salt series pocket knife in my pocket when on the boat that sees a bit of use cutting bait. I like it because it doesn't rust and can be retrieved from my pocket and opened / closed with one hand as opposed to the bait knife's cheap plastic sheath.

I have that Work Sharp sharpener that countrybumpkin linked to. It works really well for hunting or general purpose knives. It produces a beveled or convex edge which is really strong. It's not the edge I would want on a sushi chef's knife (like a one-sided flat or chisel grind) but when working with bones it is fine.

A filet knife's blade gets it flexibility from its thinness not the hardness or quality of the steel. It usually starts off with a blade of about 1/16" thickness at the spine before grinding. With a lot of use, it's going to need frequent re-sharpening which takes away metal. Before too long, your $300 custom filet knife is a little worn out. I would just buy several Dexters of various size and shape and replace them as needed.

If I dropped a custom $200+ knife overboard I would be sick.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 960 Officer
    I have a few knives that are worth more than $200. I keep them in the safe and never use them.
    I actually like Chicago Cutlery as well as Dexter.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Now you have piqued my interest... WTH is a "high Steel content knife" ???

High chromium content steel is soft, but resistant to rust. It won't hold an edge as well, is easier to sharpen and can be thrown in dishwasher.

High carbon steel is harder, but is prone to rusting. It will hold an edge better, is harder to sharpen and can't be put in the dishwasher as it will rust.

Then there's all the in betweens. When manufacturers get to making their own special blends, the knives start getting expensive.

My advice to OP is get a high carbon steel knife if you don't plan on sharpening it, but understand that with a narrow angle of a fillet knife, no material will hold a good edge past 3-4 fish. I personally would get a $10 soft whetting stone with a $20 stainless steel knife. You don't resharpen the knife, but hone it. 2-3 swipes on each side in between every fillet should keep it razor sharp the entire time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Dexter - Russel

They are also good for breasting out ducks...

20160101_153223_zpsxtxcejpi.jpg

Whatta do with the rest of the ducks? The breast is the least flavorful part....:wink
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    quatin wrote: »
    High chromium content steel is soft, but resistant to rust. It won't hold an edge as well, is easier to sharpen and can be thrown in dishwasher.

High carbon steel is harder, but is prone to rusting. It will hold an edge better, is harder to sharpen and can't be put in the dishwasher as it will rust.

Thanks... That makes a lot more sense than 'High Steel Content', since both types are Steel...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    funny, my friends $4300 Rolex tells me it's the same time that my $24 Timex tells me...........sorta sums it up...
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    funny, my friends $4300 Rolex tells me it's the same time that my $24 Timex tells me...........sorta sums it up...

Your friend's Rolex is worth more than he paid for it and your Timex now has zero monetary value. A Rolls Royce and a Fiat both get you from point A to point B. That's the topic here about fine cutlery vs just a knife.
  • teresasingletonteresasingleton 2213 Bingamon Road, Willoughby OH 44094Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    ericf said:
    I would focus more on the sharpening side of things as well. If you want to process fish, work on your sharpening technique and tools. Fillet knives are pretty interchangeable once you can put your own edge on them and keep it fresh in between uses.
    The Shun Premier Collection of knives, still hand crafted by skilled artisans. Your chef’s knife will probably be the most-used knife in your kitchen. If you’re like most cooks, you’ll want to find the one that feels like an extension of your arm. The beautiful Shun Premier 8-in. Chef's Knife could be the one for you. This breathtaking knife is lightweight, agile, and offers an extremely comfortable grip. For more information visit at https://www.bestfilletknifereviews.com/shun-classic-6-piece-knife-set-with-bamboo-block-review/
  • teresasingletonteresasingleton 2213 Bingamon Road, Willoughby OH 44094Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    zache wrote: »
    I currently have the Cutco Fisherman's Solution fillet knife and it works great. I have a few fillet knives and this is my favorite. I am thinking about picking up another fillet knife that might be even better. I am willing to spend good money to get a nice knife but anything over $200 sounds like a bit too much. What does everyone recommend?

Back in the 80's I cleaned tons of fish with a 10" Forschner. When I got back into fishing 2 years ago, was pleased to see that the Forschner has survived the test of time, company bought out by victoronix, but it's the same knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-10-Inch-Curved-Breaking/dp/B0019WSLHC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1451533606&sr=8-8&keywords=victorinox+fillet+knives
    The Mercer Genesis Knives Set is a seriously amazing set of blades and for good reason…Mercer is a well-respected brand in the cutlery and more specifically, knife world which is why we wanted to review it! For people who are looking for professional quality fillet knives, but do not want to pay a fortune for them the Mercer Cutlery Genesis 6-Piece Knife Set with Tempered-Glass Block is a perfect choice. I have been using these knives in my home and highly recommend them to all of my students in my cooking classes. For more information visit at https://www.bestfilletknifereviews.com/mercer-chef-knives/
    The Wusthof  Knife Set is the perfect choice for the cook who is just starting out; they also make a great gift. I recently needed a new set of knives, so I began looking around to find something that would work for me. For more information visit at https://www.bestfilletknifereviews.com/wusthof-knife-review/
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 277 Deckhand
    As already mentioned, use a knife for your application. For filleting fish, IMO, you can’t beat a Dexter. Forschner is a good knife. Wusthof is a quality knife. I also have Shun knives and you can shave with them. For filleting fish, use a knife that feels comfortable in your hand, is easy for you to sharpen and easy to clean. High quality knives are not to be put in a dishwasher. For a fish filleting knife, I prefer to put it in a dishwasher. Keeping it clean is important. The Dexter is inexpensive, you can easily clean it. It’s dishwasher safe and you can make it SAF (sharp as ....).
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,753 AG
    My kids bought me a really nice Danco 3pc set with a carry case for Christmas last year and they work very well. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,319 Captain
    My kids bought me a really nice Danco 3pc set with a carry case for Christmas last year and they work very well. 
    Don’t you find it suspicious when someone ( with very few posts) digs up a 4 year old thread to put up a link? 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,753 AG
    Don’t you find it suspicious when someone ( with very few posts) digs up a 4 year old thread to put up a link? 
    Ehh, I'll be completely honest, i don't look at most of the new people.   I'm sure they're trying to sell something, and most of us aren't falling for that we're just kicking stuff around.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,619 Captain
    edited January 21 #77
    anything over 10-15$ is ridiculouS!
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 299 Deckhand
    edited January 21 #78
    I know this is an old thread... If you look around the net you can find Dexter Russell saltwater rated 9 inch and 7 inch fillet knives ... for $19.07 and $16.02. 20 years ago I knew a guy who owned a seafood market, he had a bunch of white handle Dexters.. Nothing wrong with an expensive knife, I use a $350 Randall #21 with a narrow blade( custom?) for cutting rear ends out of deer and hogs and a $35  Gerber Gator gut hook folder for everything else. I find the Randall stag handle too slippery for skinning...The Randall was a gift, I would never have bought it for myself. I have a buddy that collects them..he has a safe full. My Randall stays in my truck and gets used. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 987 Officer
    When standing at a bench and cutting meat or fish all day you learn to let the knife do the work for you. We used Forschner knives and they will hold an edge. The steel's purpose is to straighten out the edge (which rolls over with a lot of cutting) and in effect sharpens the blade. It doesn't hone the blade. A good combination stone will hone the blade, then you need to know how to steel the knife to remove the burrs from the edge you just created. I bought some reground Forschers for $2.00 ea and they're still going strong 15 years into the program. Doesn't take a lot of sharpening on a stone, just a little attention to the steel.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 127 Deckhand
    I’ve I’ve been cleaning fish in Florida since 65..have a dexter / Ferber....my neighbor gave me an inexpensive kast king...i wouldnt consider using anything else at this point i believe it is around $25.00
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 88 Deckhand
    I hated my cutco...don’t know how many fish you clean but mine never held an edge. And after sending it in  it would have to be sharpened so constantly. Silver stags are awesome knives but expensive. I use elk ridge and dexters. Good knives hold an edge and about every 2 years I’ll order another set. 
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,992 Captain
    For knife questions go here, not to Fl Sportsman https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forums/the-kitchen-knife.4/
    these are knife nerds who know a lot about the subject you ask about.
    Basically all the cheap filet knives are just that, as you go up in price you get better steel= edge retention and ease of sharpening .
    The Shuns mentioned above, are mass produced knives, mediocre in quality at best.
    The Japanese use Deba knives for breaking down fish, and yanahigbas for filleting and cutting sashimi.
    Quality knives are a worm hole, enter at your own risk, well worth the venture.

F the feds
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,658 Admiral
    I presently rotate Dexters. The newest and sharpest are inside in the kitchen for cutting sashimi and fine trimming fillets prior to cooking. After a while, they go out to the cleaning table where they get hit by the sharpening stones as needed when cleaning fish. When the handles start turning black and the blades have worn a bit from sharpening, they then go to the boat for cutting bait and the next knife in line goes into service. I was lucky and found a bunch of Dexter 9" fillet knives on clearance ($7.00) at my local wally mart and bought 6 of them, so I am still good for a while. If I find another decent knife of any brand for cheap, I will by some of them, I am not snooty or loyal to any one brand as long as they work.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• olddrum_72olddrum_72 NCPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    I use the Mister Twister Electric Fishermen and it works great,
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,921 AG
    edited January 27 #86
    My crew used to gut 30k + lbs of fish between may and sept.

From anal vent up thru throat week after week.
    time is money so get busy.

Dexter Russel and learn to sharpen..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,773 Admiral
    That & a good steel to keep the edge straight.
  • billfish3rbillfish3r New JerseyPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I have a decent collection of knives at home and among them are around a dozen fillet knives. I would definitely recommend the Millennia Narrow Fillet Knife or the KastKing Fillet Knife. They are not expensive and the blades are really sharp. I always bring one of them whenever I go on fishing trips. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,251 Captain
    I have a couple of Rapala filet knifes that are over 30 years old and still hold a good edge. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 595 Officer
    I just bought a new Rapala for my traveling box. Haven't used it yet. Hope they haven't changed them. 
  • billfish3rbillfish3r New JerseyPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Lostconch said:
    I just bought a new Rapala for my traveling box. Haven't used it yet. Hope they haven't changed them. 

Rapala is still one of my favorites and like John Powers said, they still hold and edge after many years.