Home General Fishing

Best Fillet Knife Under $200

zachezache Posts: 9 Greenhorn
I currently have the Cutco Fisherman's Solution fillet knife and it works great. I have a few fillet knives and this is my favorite. I am thinking about picking up another fillet knife that might be even better. I am willing to spend good money to get a nice knife but anything over $200 sounds like a bit too much. What does everyone recommend?

Replies

• lucluc Posts: 245 Officer
    lol jeez. Look up Silver Stag fillet knife. Deer Meat For Dinners has his own line. And a big proponent. Looks quality

And if you want the "best of the best" forging process they offer Damascus.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 309 Deckhand
    do a youtube search, interesting methods and knives. i stayed away from bubba knives because some said they chipped them on bone.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    simple.........go visit 5 fish markets and see what they use, then you can spend about $175 on seafood...
  • classic1classic1 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    You can get a Dexter filter knife for $10 online. They hold an edge and don't rust. White handle like any commercial fish house uses.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,495 AG
    simple.........go visit 5 fish markets and see what they use, then you can spend about $175 on seafood...

Closer to $185....:rotflmao

Besides, stop trying to convince someone he doesn't need to spend a lot of money...
    While true, he won't listen anyway.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Keep using the Cutco a little longer I hear YETI is coming out with one made from cold stainless steel that will stay cold all day and wont get hot and ruin the meat while filleting a pile of fish with an insulated formed handle for comfort and grip. Not sure it is in your price range though. after all it is a YETI :fishing
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Dexters,Mundial, Vics, Kershaw get my vote.To get a quality custom You'll have to pay a little more than $200.Check out the exchange on Bladeforums.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator

Haha....

That's a lot of shrimp right there. ;-)
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG

Winner
  • fishstickerfishsticker Posts: 500 Deckhand
    A wood handle Forschner does it for me.
    "Those that give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    SHUN PREMIER BONING/FILLET KNIFE
    STEEL: VG-MAX
    HANDLE: WALNUT PAKKAWOOD
    BLADE: 6"
    PRICE: $ 175

tdm0774_quickview__666x250.jpg
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Interesting thread. I have cleaned a lot of fish with under 50dollar knives. Would an expensive tool be a tremendous experience?
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG
    Interesting thread. I have cleaned a lot of fish with under 50dollar knives. Would an expensive tool be a tremendous experience?

Like using your Costas to look at a Yeti in the Yellowfin being towed by a Tundra with a Salt Life sticker on the window?
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Gotta chime in. I don't own any fillet knife over 20$. To me they rust out, get lost etc. among the most used blades I own. But - I will pay more for certain things - rifle scopes, reels and rods being an easy example. I don't mind spending more for something quality or if its made in the USA. I'm 'that guy' with the van staal pliers. Are they pricey? Yes. Are they worth it? To me, yes. Knowing that they'll work as good as when I got them, and as long as I do my part with simple maintenance, they're pliers for life. Yes, I could have bought a really nice inshore combo and enough tackle for two seasons for the price but I love those pliers and won't do a trip without them. My take - life is too short, you wanna buy a fancy fillet knife without breaking the bank, do it. Who cares what others think, as long as you're happy. Having said that, wustoff does make a nice knife! http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-CULINAR-Fillet-knife-7inches/dp/B0000DJYWC
  • zachezache Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Lol. I have a dexter russel and a rapala. I understand that if you constantly sharpen them they work great. I actually use my dexter nearly as much as I use my cutco. I just wanted to find another knife that holds an edge well so I don't have to sharpen the **** thing every time I use it. I definitely do not want to spend $200 dollars on a knife. I am just saying if the best knife ever is $150 I'll buy it. I have someone who will sharpen my knifes professionally for me and they are razor sharp but I can't send my knives to him more than once or twice a year. Other than that I have my own sub-par knife sharpening ability.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    10 inch Dexter Russel

$12

You would be an idiot to pay more than $30 on a fillet knife IMO

Got a link... I can't seem to find this (~$10 knife) for <~$20-Shipped
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 925 Officer
    classic1 wrote: »
    You can get a Dexter filter knife for $10 online. They hold an edge and don't rust. White handle like any commercial fish house uses.

I'm assuming this is also the 8"... Still a good deal... I think I'm getting 1 of these- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XY4DUW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1TIWYJ5GQYV9G
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 925 Officer
    Lol. I have a dexter russel and a rapala. I understand that if you constantly sharpen them they work great. I actually use my dexter nearly as much as I use my cutco. I just wanted to find another knife that holds an edge well so I don't have to sharpen the **** thing every time I use it. I definitely do not want to spend $200 dollars on a knife. I am just saying if the best knife ever is $150 I'll buy it. I have someone who will sharpen my knifes professionally for me and they are razor sharp but I can't send my knives to him more than once or twice a year. Other than that I have my own sub-par knife sharpening ability.

I am not aware of a knife that you won't have to sharpen after filleting a dozen large fish.

To me, the $150 is not worth the 15seconds it takes to sharpen the knife. But, to each their own.

Good luck in your search
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    Most guys in the "biz" use either Dexter Russell or Forschner blades (I've been using Forschner since the early seventies.... almost as long as I've lived down here...). The Forschners are done by Victorinox... (one of the posters above called them "vics").

Yes, you can spend a lot more money -but you'd be hard pressed to find better blades. All of the knives used by pros at fish markets or on one commercial boat or other are just commercial butcher knives by the way - that's what the two brands I've mentioned are....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    zache wrote: »
    I have someone who will sharpen my knifes professionally for me and they are razor sharp but I can't send my knives to him more than once or twice a year. Other than that I have my own sub-par knife sharpening ability.

Shun knives are sharpened by the factory free. These knives are scary sharp and hold an edge longer than cheaper knives. If you're a knife geek and have a quality collection of cutlery, you must own several Shun knives.

I have a modest collection of kitchen, utility and folding knives, including 9 Shun Classics and some serious sharpening equipment.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,782 Moderator
    zache wrote: »
    Lol. I have someone who will sharpen my knifes professionally for me and they are razor sharp but I can't send my knives to him more than once or twice a year. Other than that I have my own sub-par knife sharpening ability.

You don't want to sharpen knives more than once or twice a year. What you do need to do is straighten the edge with a steel.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    https://rhinelandcutlery.com/individual-knives/fillet/
    9in_Fillet.png

Pretty and expensive. My wife owns a Santoku version and won't let me touch it.
  • Fowlplay87Fowlplay87 Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Dexter or victranox. Simply said though I can clean a fish with a pocket knife. I use right now a black tip boning knife and a Dexter 9" the Dexter makes a nice skinning knife. You can pick up the black tip knife for around $20 and the Dexter should be similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,315 Admiral
    Ya'll are missing The Big Point..All of you.
    A Knife is as good as it's Steel. The rest is just looks and names and prices.
    You want a high Steel content knife ? It'll stay sharp for a good while , Costs more , never rusts and is the Devil to re-sharpen when you have to one day...and you will.
    High Carbon Steel , Costs a lot less , tarnishes , dulls pretty quick, But..Here's the Key , Sharpens in a couple passes on the Stone.
    If you lose or break it..Who cares , it cost $25 bucks.
    I got a bunch of High Carbons. Break the tip , pry open some oysters ,Fillet some Reds , slice up bait , cut Mangrove branches , It's a Tool .
    Pretty or functionable $$$.. your call Sharp Dressed Man..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Ya'll are missing The Big Point..All of you.
    A Knife is as good as it's Steel. The rest is just looks and names and prices.
    You want a high Steel content knife ? It'll stay sharp for a good while , Costs more , never rusts and is the Devil to re-sharpen when you have to one day...and you will.
    High Carbon Steel , Costs a lot less , tarnishes , dulls pretty quick, But..Here's the Key , Sharpens in a couple passes on the Stone.
    If you lose or break it..Who cares , it cost $25 bucks.
    I got a bunch of High Carbons. Break the tip , pry open some oysters ,Fillet some Reds , slice up bait , cut Mangrove branches , It's a Tool .
    Pretty or functionable $$$.. your call Sharp Dressed Man..

Now you have piqued my interest... WTH is a "high Steel content knife" ???
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Hard to beat a plain old Rapala. They even come with the little plastic sharpener.
    I noticed no one has mentioned the Bubba Blade?
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Now you have piqued my interest... WTH is a "high Steel content knife" ???

I'm no metallurgy guru, but I think his point was there are some super hard blades that hold edge for long time and will never corrode. Then there are blades more prone to corossion and wear, but sharpen easily.

I prefer the latte for cleaning fish.

A fancy kitchen kinfe dedicated to veggie chopping / dicing sounds nice though.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"