Home Diver's Corner

Ear pressure while diving

cranker789cranker789 Posts: 280 Deckhand
Last week i was kayak fishing and my anchor was completely stuck on the bottom. I dove down and i think it was around 20 ft deep.. I couldnt get down to the bottom with out intense ear pressure that forced me to come up.. i tried over and over and i just couldnt get around the ear pressure.. How do divers deal with ear pressure? I had sinus build up but i thought i could at least get 20ft down.

Replies

• Kaptan KKaptan K Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Y9u have to equalize. I usually pinch my nose and try to blow air from my ears. Sinus blockage due to stuffy nose can make this impossible. I'm sure there's videos on youtube.
  • CNTNDERfloridaysCNTNDERfloridays Posts: 41 Deckhand
    what Kaptan said.. if ur hearing a squeezing sound in your ears. Go down until it hurts come up slowly, then and go back down while slowly blowing out your nose.
    Contender27 "Floridays" Jupiter, FL
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 661 Officer
    There is air behind your eardrum. When you are on the surface the pressure outside the ear is equal to the pressure behind the eardrum.

When you go down in the water, the pressure increases. If you had a milk jug full of air at the surface, you would only have a half gallon of air in it when you go down 33' as the pressure is twice that of the surface. The same thing happens in your ear, the air behind the eardrum is compressed and the water is now pressing into it, causing pain.

Your inncer ears have a tube called the eustation tube <sp> and it goes from inside your throat to the inner ear. If you can pinch your nose and force air into those tubes you are basically filling up the airspace behind the eardrumb, and "equalizing" the pressure.

If you have a cold or sinus infection those tubes can be clogged and you will not be able to push air into the space. You can try it gently on the surface and by plugging your nose you should be able to feel your eardrums move as you blow.

When you surface that air that you have put into the space will also expand, so you want to come up slowly but most people don't have problems surfacing, but I have seen guys hurt their ears coming up also.

Practice it and it will become almost natural
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • TeanmTzHerTeanmTzHer Posts: 100 Officer
    your problem was the nasal build up. That will not allow you to do what everybody else is telling you to do above. Never dive when you have some type of problem with your sinuses. I hope this helps.
    If you aint fishin you aint Livin!
    DSCF2380-1.jpg
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 280 Deckhand
    I think the sinus build up was probably the problem then.. I'll work on diving next time i go out on the yak so it doesnt happen again.. i had to wave down a boat to pull up the anchor.. i don't like the feeling of being stuck and needing help out on the water.. Grassyass for the tips!

Colin
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 301 Deckhand
    I've only been diving for a couple of years but it seems to me equalizing is different for many people. In my case, I start equalizing almost immediately. I hold my breath in the back of my throat, pinch my nose, tilt my head back and swallow. I know it sounds weird but it works after trying many different ways. If you wait till it hurts you've gone too deep. Go back up and try again before you damage your ears. You could puncture your ear drum.
  • BottomScratcherBottomScratcher St. AugustinePosts: 48 Greenhorn
    The fancy phrase for equalizing ear pressure by blowing pressure toward the ears is Valsalva Technique. Immediately before I freedive is when I do it; often I don't need to do it again on that decent.

<#((((<