Home Egret Boats

167 Bilge Pump Wiring

DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
Trying to figure out if the wiring on my 167 is normal or if it's been changed sometime in it's life as it doesn't seem right...

I keep my boat on a lift (no roof) so it does get rained on and water can accumulate in the bilge with heavy storms. I've always turned my battery switch off when not using the boat and was surprised to find that the bilge pump float switch is unpowered when the battery switch is off. The manual dash switch works no matter what position the main battery switch is in, but the float switch only works when the battery switch is on, not when it's off. This seems opposite of how it should be to me. Wouldn't you want the float switch to activate the bilge pump even when the battery is off?

It's really not a big deal right now as I almost always take the plug out at the end of the day, but it would be nice to not have to always remember the plug and not worry about heavy rain...

I'm thinking I may just dig in and rewire so both the float and dash switches feed directly from the battery and are independent of the battery switch. Opinions?

Thanks all,

Daz
Daz

Egret 167 c/K
41' Island Packet cutter

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    There should be a wire connected directly to the battery with a fuse on it that goes directly to the float switch or pump if's it's a all in one. So no matter what independent of the switch if the battery selector is turned off it will turn on when the water reaches the level to activate it.Looks like someone got there hands in there and changed some things prior.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Daz wrote: »
    Trying to figure out if the wiring on my 167 is normal or if it's been changed sometime in it's life as it doesn't seem right...

I keep my boat on a lift (no roof) so it does get rained on and water can accumulate in the bilge with heavy storms. I've always turned my battery switch off when not using the boat and was surprised to find that the bilge pump float switch is unpowered when the battery switch is off. The manual dash switch works no matter what position the main battery switch is in, but the float switch only works when the battery switch is on, not when it's off. This seems opposite of how it should be to me. Wouldn't you want the float switch to activate the bilge pump even when the battery is off?

It's really not a big deal right now as I almost always take the plug out at the end of the day, but it would be nice to not have to always remember the plug and not worry about heavy rain...

I'm thinking I may just dig in and rewire so both the float and dash switches feed directly from the battery and are independent of the battery switch. Opinions?

Thanks all,

Daz

The float switch should turn on the pump with all of the batteries turned to off.
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Yup, it does seem appear that it's been changed from the way it left the factory. I thought and expected both the float and dash switches to work with the battery off, strange that it's set up the way it is. It does have a separate pump and float switch, not an all-in-one.

Not sure why somebody would tap power for the manual switch before the battery switch and the float switch after, but that's what it looks like was done. I guess I'll just start tracing wires and figure out how they wired it, starting at the battery switch. I'm assuming for now that they tapped off the common lug there since there is only one cable on the positive post of the battery (and no additional wires). My thinking right now is to disconnect both the float and dash switches from wherever they're getting power and run dedicated (fused) wire from the battery to each of them. Looks like a new project for this week.

Thanks for the input, we'll see how it goes as I delve into it in the next few days.

Daz
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Here is a bad video but should help and explain it.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    All Egrets I have been on are self bailing
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    As is mine, but some water does get into the bilge in heavy rains (via rod holders, the splashwell locker, etc.).
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

All Egrets are self bailing, not just the ones you have been on.:grin
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Daz wrote: »
    Yup, it does seem appear that it's been changed from the way it left the factory. I thought and expected both the float and dash switches to work with the battery off, strange that it's set up the way it is. It does have a separate pump and float switch, not an all-in-one.

Not sure why somebody would tap power for the manual switch before the battery switch and the float switch after, but that's what it looks like was done. I guess I'll just start tracing wires and figure out how they wired it, starting at the battery switch. I'm assuming for now that they tapped off the common lug there since there is only one cable on the positive post of the battery (and no additional wires). My thinking right now is to disconnect both the float and dash switches from wherever they're getting power and run dedicated (fused) wire from the battery to each of them. Looks like a new project for this week.

Thanks for the input, we'll see how it goes as I delve into it in the next few days.

Daz

I would guess someone changed the bilge pump / float switch and mixed up the power wires. Always on should have gone to the float switch but now it goes to the manual switch. I would be fine with the manual bilge pump switch only working when the battery switch is on. If that switch is always hot then if someone leaves the switch on (like a kid playing with switches) the battery will be dead and the always on float switch will be dead too.

Self bailing isn't black and white, it's a grey area. The old boats put less water in the bilge than the new ones.