Home Egret Boats

Moccasin 210

Mogan MasterMogan Master Posts: 82 Greenhorn
Hello,

I am considering a new moccasin 210 and would appreciate any advice on must have options/features. One item in particular would be power. I'm coming from a 18ft skiff that has exceeded my expectations thus far, but my needs are changing to more of a hybrid boat that will easily accommodate both fishing and family outings. As of now I'm leaning towards a 200hp motor, I am not adverse to Suzuki but for a little bit more the 200 SHO is definitely something to consider. I know that there are not too many 210's out there with jackplate's. Living in the SWFL Pine Island area requires a decent amount of shallow water running and planing. Can anyone give insight on running depths and depth needed to plane out with the different configurations. Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays
2017 IBW Morada 22 250SHO *August delivery

2013 Maverick 18 HPX 115 ProXS *Sold

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    I have run and fished out of the Moccasin quite a few times. I own a Egret 2011 which has a different layout and bottom from the standard Moccasin. The difference in the two running surfaces is the Moccasin bottom gets up on plane at 17 mph and needs less water to do so. It also drafts about 2 inches less that the 2011 bottom due to not having a drop down pad running surface.
    I would contact Frank at the factory and he will get you in touch with someone that can take you on a sea trail. This will be the best way for you to see how the boat runs and drafts. There are several owners in your area.
    Putting a jack plate on that version of the hull defeats the design for draft and balance. Hope this helps.
  • Mogan MasterMogan Master Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the feedback, FlatsBoy.

Would anyone have insight on the shallow water running depth and minimum depth needed to plane?

I have been in contact with Frank over the past few months and I am in the middle of trying to schedule a second sea trial, as the first time the weather was too snotty to actually get a good feel for the capabilities of the boat.

I think a second sea trial will best answer all your questions first hand. Good Luck.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Send me a PM with contact info and i will be happy to share my information on a 210 with 175 Suzuki. Ran some full moon winter negative tides with strong east wind in the big bend area in the last week - no jack plate needed.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    I have a Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki 200. If I remember correctly, Frank told me he didn't see the need nor recommend a jackplate since the transom was 23" (I believe) the motor has a 20" shaft.

I can't give you any measured data, and I don't know if the added weight of a jackplate on the transom would be of benefit getting up in shallow water as opposed to running in shallow water. I usually use the trolling motor to get to 2+ft of water then use the Suzuki. I have thought about it though if anyone has any first hand experience with a jackplate on the Moccasin.

I don't think you could wrong with the Zuke or SHO.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    I have a Moccasin 210 with a Suzuki 200. If I remember correctly, Frank told me he didn't see the need nor recommend a jackplate since the transom was 23" (I believe) the motor has a 20" shaft.

I can't give you any measured data, and I don't know if the added weight of a jackplate on the transom would be of benefit getting up in shallow water as opposed to running in shallow water. I usually use the trolling motor to get to 2+ft of water then use the Suzuki. I have thought about it though if anyone has any first hand experience with a jackplate on the Moccasin.

I don't think you could wrong with the Zuke or SHO.

What size prop (also 3 or 4 blade) did you end up with and what is your top speed please? I have a 175.
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    What size prop (also 3 or 4 blade) did you end up with and what is your top speed please? I have a 175.

I have a 3-blade prop but I'm not sure of the exact size. I always forget to look at it when I get to the boat. Frank told me top speed was 52 but I think I've seen 51 once.
    I have a 48" TM, I assume you need something closer to 60" for the Moccasin. What size trolling motors are you running on the 210 or 2011 models?

36 volt 60 inch shaft. I do allot of bridge fishing and strong current.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    36 volt 60 inch shaft. I do allot of bridge fishing and strong current.

Thank you!

If there is any reason not to go with the 36v, the 24v 80lb thrust works great on the boat too. There has only been one time where I needed more thrust and that was in a pretty swift river where I couldn't get my anchor to grab hold.

That being said, besides from the cost and weight of an extra battery, I can't think of a reason not to go with 36v.
    My skiff lasted about 4 hours after being listed on boattrader.com, now it's time to make a decision on what the next build will be. Hopefully I will be able to get a close look at a 210 here shortly. Are the batteries stored in the subfloor of the console? It would be nice to have a modified riser box, but I don't think it would be practical, as design/fabrication could become quite involved.

In the sub floor of the console.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    My skiff lasted about 4 hours after being listed on boattrader.com, now it's time to make a decision on what the next build will be. Hopefully I will be able to get a close look at a 210 here shortly. Are the batteries stored in the subfloor of the console? It would be nice to have a modified riser box, but I don't think it would be practical, as design/fabrication could become quite involved.

Put two batteries up front on either side of front compartment and a 3rd house battery under the console in the center. Its not the easiest access down there but not too bad for a single battery and freeing up the room under the seat (where they typically put them) is worth it given all the extra storage.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Put two batteries up front on either side of front compartment and a 3rd house battery under the console in the center. Its not the easiest access down there but not too bad for a single battery and freeing up the room under the seat (where they typically put them) is worth it given all the extra storage.

That works for the Egrets (although slows the boat down). The Moccasin has plenty of room under the false floor for batteries. I fish one that has three group 31s in there with no problem.