BPS now owns Ranger Boats, What will happen to the Quality of Rangers

coach76coach76 Posts: 204 Officer
I own a Ranger 1850 its a 2012 and wonder if I ever will buy another Ranger. My concern, what will happen to Ranger quality now since they are owned by BPS. I have read good comments and reviews on Nitro NV18 and NV21 boats. But most of what I have read about BPS marine division is not really good.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • coach76coach76 Posts: 204 Officer

Thank you, great idea. I have dealt with many of the Ranger staff and they are still on board. Merry Christmas
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Sorry.

You can count on an eventual "improvement to build your boating satisfaction" Code for : our bean counters will cheap-up the quality while the sales force will rely on the past good name. Always liked the ranger boats -unless your income jumps there is little reason to buy another boat. Back to the future however, better quality can be found elsewhere going forward- best to document your records to support your boat's value...maybe their advertising can create a brief upward bubble in your boats value ?

Best to enjoy your boat (don"t worry - Bob has it right) and let the chips fall where they may.
  • R DaysR Days Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Bass Pro also bought triton boats as well.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 185 Deckhand
    coach76 wrote: »
    I own a Ranger 1850 its a 2012 and wonder if I ever will buy another Ranger. My concern, what will happen to Ranger quality now since they are owned by BPS. I have read good comments and reviews on Nitro NV18 and NV21 boats. But most of what I have read about BPS marine division is not really good.
    Kind of have to wonder after what they did to Mako & SeaCraft. I guess the Mako's have been improved but they wrecked SeaCraft's Reputation which is a shame as it was a great boat.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Johnny Morris owns the majority interest in it, the quality will not change. From what I've heard he was wanting a higher end line of boats and wanted more to do with the tournaments (flw & bm) he did it through buying ranger. They now own boat manufacturers in multiple quality/price ranges. Ranger is improving and the goal is to stay the #1 bass boat in the market.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Hambweld wrote: »
    Johnny Morris owns the majority interest in it, the quality will not change. From what I've heard he was wanting a higher end line of boats and wanted more to do with the tournaments (flw & bm) he did it through buying ranger. They now own boat manufacturers in multiple quality/price ranges. Ranger is improving and the goal is to stay the #1 bass boat in the market.

I am a positive person and hope what say is true. I have enjoyed owing 2 Rangers and hope to own one more in my lifetime My boat is only three years old, so will have a year or two to see what happens. I do know that being involved in tournaments helps sells boats However its the middle class fisherman who will decide if this Ranger is the right boat for them. I am not a bass boat guy, more into multi species type boat. I have 8 grand kids and they all enjoying fishing and that type of boat best for my needs.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,274 Admiral
    All we have to go on is past performance.
    Talk is cheap, corporate talk is lies.

I expect Ranger will become an overpriced, cut-corners brand within 3 yrs.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 167 Deckhand
    Mako is now a POS compared to what is was prior to being owned by the same. My Brother in law bought one not being very boat savvy and not asking for help and its JUNK.
  • DunkDunk Posts: 107 Officer
    camgci wrote: »
    Kind of have to wonder after what they did to Mako & SeaCraft. I guess the Mako's have been improved but they wrecked SeaCraft's Reputation which is a shame as it was a great boat.

Don't know where you got that idea about Seacraft. I've surveying boats for 24yrs now and have yet to see a Potter Seacraft that wasn't rebuilt or needed to be rebuilt. The Tracker Seacrafts were and are good solidly built boats. Yes they changed them some with cheaper consoles and lost that inner bow grabrail that was Seacrafts trademark, but the boats were built ten time better, better stringers, decks and transoms.

Coach, don't I know you from the 150 Johnson days? It's been awhile since I was on this page..
    Marine Surveyor
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    BPS also made Silver King disappear.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    With BPS reputation regarding what they did to Mako, Seacraft and Silver King, I would imagine Ranger will follow down that path in the future, an overpriced rig marketed to people who don't know any better with sub par build quality.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Dunk wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that idea about Seacraft. I've surveying boats for 24yrs now and have yet to see a Potter Seacraft that wasn't rebuilt or needed to be rebuilt. The Tracker Seacrafts were and are good solidly built boats. Yes they changed them some with cheaper consoles and lost that inner bow grabrail that was Seacrafts trademark, but the boats were built ten time better, better stringers, decks and transoms.

Coach, don't I know you from the 150 Johnson days? It's been awhile since I was on this page..

Those Potter built Seacrafts were built in the 1970's. Today they are 40 + years old. I'm not sure you'll see as many BassPro Seacrafts that were built without wood, when they turn 40.
    GotTarpon wrote: »
    Mako is now a POS compared to what is was prior to being owned by the same. My Brother in law bought one not being very boat savvy and not asking for help and its JUNK.

NOt sure what POS means, but I take your saying Ranger in trouble with BPS ownership. I can buy a new 2015 Ranger which was built at a good time and the price is right with great options, $40, but it has 150 optmax pro xs. It also has merc 3 plue 2 warranty. I now have 150 Yamaha 4 stroke with 3 years left of a 6 year warranty. Just hard to make a move, the boat I have now, has been great, zero issues. The 2015 is the Angler and I like couple of things over the 1850, but just dont know, I feel I can make the change an easy one, selling my boat and owning $13k or less on the new one.

In closing I watch the show Fishing the Flats CJ Richardson is the guide and fishes out of two boats, one is the Mako, either 21 or 23 and he raves about it.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    Half the guys on TV would fish out of a Bayliner if you paid them enough.
    No doubt that the quality of all those brands has been seriously questioned once BPS takes over production. I highly doubt you will see any 40 year old BPS Mako/Seacraft hulls being restored in years to come. Silver King was a fine boat, the pre BPS hulls are still highly desireable, didn't take long for BPS to wreck that brand.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    coach76 wrote: »
    NOt sure what POS means, but I take your saying Ranger in trouble with BPS ownership. I can buy a new 2015 Ranger which was built at a good time and the price is right with great options, $40, but it has 150 optmax pro xs. It also has merc 3 plue 2 warranty. I now have 150 Yamaha 4 stroke with 3 years left of a 6 year warranty. Just hard to make a move, the boat I have now, has been great, zero issues. The 2015 is the Angler and I like couple of things over the 1850, but just dont know, I feel I can make the change an easy one, selling my boat and owning $13k or less on the new one.

In closing I watch the show Fishing the Flats CJ Richardson is the guide and fishes out of two boats, one is the Mako, either 21 or 23 and he raves about it.

I just want to add my two cents into the guide sponsorship regarding boats and products discussion. If someone give you a boat to use or a sandwich you are expected and if you want to continue getting a boat or a sandwich in the future from that boat builder or others you need to say how great the boat and the sandwich are. The problem with most guides is that this year Brand X is the best then next year Brand ABC is best then the following year Brand Y is the best. How is it possible that they are all the best when the guide keeps changing his mind on whats the best. In my opinion he has no credability. Now if you buy a boat or a sandwich and it sucks! You can say it sucks!
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    When I was in the market a year ago for a new boat, I looked at alot of brands, including the boats that are sold from BPS. The aluminum boats were loaded with accessories but the quality if the welds were not desirable for my needs. I couldn't find much better things about the Mako either.I guess people could say the same about my xpress bay boat that I bought.
    2013 Xpress H-18 115 Yamaha
    Camo'd out to hide from the fish better:cool:
  • flagoldflagold AlabamaPosts: 249 Deckhand
    I just want to add my two cents into the guide sponsorship regarding boats and products discussion. If someone give you a boat to use or a sandwich you are expected and if you want to continue getting a boat or a sandwich in the future from that boat builder or others you need to say how great the boat and the sandwich are. The problem with most guides is that this year Brand X is the best then next year Brand ABC is best then the following year Brand Y is the best. How is it possible that they are all the best when the guide keeps changing his mind on whats the best. In my opinion he has no credability. Now if you buy a boat or a sandwich and it sucks! You can say it sucks!

Good that many are finally wising up to the sponsorship stuff. A lot of us got wet feet in the early 90's as a result of a fad in boats that was nothing more than a marketing gimmick promoted by a guide. Scuppers: [video]
    Rebuild Grandpa's Zebco: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
    Catch a big sheepshead: https://youtu.be/gqE0az7WqH4
    Bomb Holes, Wrecks, Reefs: https://youtu.be/b5ljdWyLR5I
    Saltwater Cap Lure (Deadly): https://youtu.be/AMwAx9AeDkc
    Make a portable fish attractor that works: https://youtu.be/ushkhZUxUWg
    180 practical vids on YouTube: Matt Mattson
    Those Potter built Seacrafts were built in the 1970's. Today they are 40 + years old. I'm not sure you'll see as many BassPro Seacrafts that were built without wood, when they turn 40.

On the contrary Basspro Seacrafts started in 85-86. Making them 30yrs old. Last year I inspected 3 of them from 1990-92 and they were solid as a rock. BPS for sure built the 23 Seacraft hull lots better than Potter did.

I've seen things in the Potter boats that I had hard time believeing like notch out a stringer top to pass control and electrical cables up to the consoles.. Granted Potter came up with great hull, but didn't really know how to build a lasting hull, but your right it was the 70's.
    Marine Surveyor
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,869 Captain
    There isn't a boat Morris has associated his name with that hasn't gone down the toilet.

Will Ranger? Who knows. But if history is any indicator, it might be time to find another brand.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    I'm having flashbacks, Dunk and TGunn posting in boating. :) oh the colors. lol

Been awhile, glad your still with us.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    FS Dan wrote: »
    I'm having flashbacks, Dunk and TGunn posting in boating. :) oh the colors. lol

Been awhile, glad your still with us.

FSD

Yeah, I still here, still surveying boats in NJ... 24yrs this year..
    Marine Surveyor