Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Dry Aging...Part II

Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
Well guys, today is the last day of week 2. My piece of sirloin is dry all over, but there is neither mold nor a bad odor to it. Changing the bottom towel is all I have felt the need to do, for the past week, and now I don't even bother with that.

SO WHAT SAY YE???? Should I steak this puppy or give it another week? Since it is a sirloin, I am guessing there is no marbling, so there will be no fat to take advantage of bacterial breakdown.and enhanced flavor. I am also hoping that these steaks will not be dry. There was considerable juice in the vacuum bag when I bought it from Costco.

The next time I am there, I am going to ask them if those pieces arrive frozen and I am hoping for a "yes" answer. Because if so, I will ask to buy a frozen piece and thaw it at home. Then I can break the vacuum seal before it has a chance to suck the liquid out of the thawing meat. Hopefully this will result in jucier steaks.
.......Rick

Replies

• Depth ChargeDepth Charge Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Just had 28 day Rib Eye steaks last night, I go a minimum of 21 days and like you, do not change the towel to much after 14 days. I have a NY Strip in the fridge now. I usually start to smell it after 14 days and get mold on it after that, I grew up in a butcher shop and have been doing this for 30 years at home only way to go.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,319 Moderator
    I have never done this. Primarily because I keep forgetting to try it.

I just did a quick online "how to" and found a lot of 3-7 day tutorials. Nothing about this minimum of 21 stuff. Three weeks seems like a very long time to me. If three weeks is NOT too long, then what is? I mean, meat will eventually go bad, right? Bad like, turns to goo on the inside kind of bad. I'd like to give it a shot some time soon, but I don't think I'll be using 21 days as a starting point. Just me. Not slamming you guys for doing what have always done... it just seems like a long time.

Is there an authority online about such things?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Panhandler, I just cut my sirloin into steaks after 18 days. (1) By the grace of God, there WAS a little marbling in this sirloin!! (Sirloin is known for having a better flavor than other cuts, but the downside is that it is generally a tougher cut.) (2) I think 21 days would have been better and possibly even longer. There was some graying around the outer 1/4 inch of the meat, under the fat, but the interior looked like nothing had happened. It was as red as I would guess it would have been, the day I started the process.

I cooked up two of them last night and they were certainly more chewey than a ribeye and/or most of the strips that I get from Costco. But at the same time I have had sirloins much worse. The flavor seemed normal for a sirloin, i.e. a great "beef" flavor and the grilled outside fat was to die for.

The meat was denser than I am used to and the cooking time could have been as much as 20 minutes total for medium rare steaks at 1 1/4 inch thick. But with a mushroom marsala sauce, nobody was complaining that it was rare.

Anyway, the next time I do a sirloin I will definitely go three weeks, and maybe a little longer. I can't say for sure because I don't know, but it seems the time is dependant on the amount of interior fat (marbling) the cut has. If I do a strip, I'll for sure try at least my first one at 3 weeks.
    .......Rick
  • Angler719Angler719 CrawfordvillePosts: 531 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    The next time I am there, I am going to ask them if those pieces arrive frozen and I am hoping for a "yes" answer. Because if so, I will ask to buy a frozen piece and thaw it at home. Then I can break the vacuum seal before it has a chance to suck the liquid out of the thawing meat. Hopefully this will result in jucier steaks.

Costco does not freeze their meat they receive it fresh, and ship it to the stores daily. I used to deliver to their distribution center here in South Florida.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    That's what I thought....thanks. Still pretty good meat though. The last whole sirloin I bought, actually had some marbling in it.
    .......Rick