Conflicted over de-carbing outboard

SpiderwireSpiderwire Posts: 40 Greenhorn
After reviewing numerious threads on the subject of de-carbing I am still conflicted on the issue....:huh
I have a 2000 Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke outboard that I have never de-carbed in 15 years of service....I currentely have no issues (other than once in a while stalls at idlie) but have have had the carbs cleaned two years ago and then installed a gas/water filter. I have used exclusively yamamlube 2 stroke oil and star ton fuel additive and in the last two years only used 89 octane ethanol free gas. I now plan on using ring free plus on a regular basis.
I guess im just concerned that the process of de-cabing may cause me engine problems....If anyone has had any major issues with de-carbing or any mechanics reading this that might want to warn me about the subject please advise....positive feedback of course is welcome as well
Thank you all in advance
Spiderwire

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,174 Admiral
    Do a super shock with Techron and then just run ring free on a regular basis. That will solve your problems.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,717 Moderator
    For years I ran a 150hp Johnson 2001 and would decarb twice a year. Afterwards it would run and idle like a new motor. No problems from my experience. Not sure there is a down side.
    larrywitt
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 528 Officer
    I'd think decarbing would be a good thing to do. Allowing the engine to run as clean as possible is how you get max performance/fuel economy/engine longevity.
  • SpiderwireSpiderwire Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I guise I was referring to using sea foam in 3/4 gallon of gas and running through motor...I thought this might get more than just the carbs clean.....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,226 AG
    I've run seafoam almost every other fuel up this past summer/fall. Changed the plugs and everything runs well.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I've run seafoam almost every other fuel up this past summer/fall. Changed the plugs and everything runs well.

Here is why I choose to not run seafoam. I spend more money per gallon on non ethanol fuel and if you add seafoam then you are adding in some alcohol back in, so I run ring free and super shock with techron.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,226 AG
    I think you pretty much have it covered as is to be honest. I run ethanol fuel and have not had an issue but again I run seafoam and I also put some ethanol treatment as well. Two weeks ago I pulled up to the ramp and before I loaded it i disconnected the fuel lines and ran the floats empty. not sure if that is good or bad but if it's going to sit for 5-6 weeks I'd rather the fuel was not sitting in the carbs.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SpiderwireSpiderwire Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Spineyman
    What is your procedure using techron?
    There is a formula on the bottle. Use so much for regular use and use so much for shock treatment. It has been a year since I did it and just can't remember the amounts for shocking. Sorry but you can stop in to like an autozone and just read the bottle if you would like.

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Have you read all the threads on THT re-'decarbing' ? Tons of info...
    'Dunks Method' seems very popular & effective...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!