Charlotte Harbor Reddrum questions

So I fish the Charlotte Harbor, primarily the West Wall, many times a year. What I find odd is I rarely see any drum. We catch snook and trout in huge numbers. I wont' even go into how many Ladyfish are hanging around. More or less I was curious if anybody had experience with the West Wall of Charlotte Harbor in terms of finding and catching Reds. What area, what baits, etc. I will have to say I am very pleased with the Snook population in the area, we don't have any issues finding a keeper. While we load the boat up with Specks, I haven't caught a keeper Red in 2 years.

Replies

• Rocky TopRocky Top Knoxville TN/Boca Grande FL.Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I am finding that reds are scarce all over the harbor. I have been fishing Charlotte Harbor for 20 years, and the red population is nowhere like it was just a few years ago. I agree, the snook and trout are plentiful.
    I would be interested in what others are experiencing.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 576 Officer
    It was a very disappointing year for redfish in Bradenton and Sarasota too. Caught some real nice slot and over slot, but the numbers were way down.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,068 Captain
    I'd wager I'm catching 50 trout for every red I see and 10 snook. Just seems weird. In March I'm trying some soft plastics under the magroves, a yo zuri shrimp and gold spoon. Maybe one of those will work. Mirrodines haven't been working for reds, though they have been amazing for trout.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Yes it did seem there were less reds, but I don't know if they just move a little from where I use to catch them. I use to mainly catch reds with in the first 10' of the mangroves. I have caught more this year 100 to 200 feet off the mangroves throwing rubber jerk baits on top or with a weighted hood. As lite as possible because of the weeds and snot. In tight has been more snook and further out are trout, ladies.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,068 Captain
    Real V wrote: »
    Yes it did seem there were less reds, but I don't know if they just move a little from where I use to catch them. I use to mainly catch reds with in the first 10' of the mangroves. I have caught more this year 100 to 200 feet off the mangroves throwing rubber jerk baits on top or with a weighted hood. As lite as possible because of the weeds and snot. In tight has been more snook and further out are trout, ladies.

Unfortunately I live in TN, so only fish Charlote Harbor when I visit family, which is coming up sooner than later. As we discussed via pm I plan on giving your technique a try. I'm most excited.
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    I catch very little reds as well, watching fishing reports they all seem to be Estero bay.