Netting Bait

Ok, so I have an off the wall question, but I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

As I had mentioned in my first post back on the boards, I am a former member, and former flats boat owner. When the baby came along, we had to get a more family friendly boat. I am now fishing from a Grady White 248 voyager (a walk around).

The guidance I am looking for, is from anyone that has a walk around, or has had one in the past. What is the best way of catching bait, when I don't have any sort of deck to throw the net from, and have that big old rail around the front of the boat??

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,760 AG
    If you can't cast if off the bow, try casting your net off the transom.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,765 Captain
    You'd be surprised how concentrating on getting the net over the bow will make you spread the net better. No idea why but it works.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • PhlypperPhlypper Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    When I am on my friend's cuddy, I will leave the 10' net at home, and use the 8', thrown from the cockpit.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how concentrating on getting the net over the bow will make you spread the net better. No idea why but it works.
    I agree, also you would be surprised if you don't take the boat out of gear the net may damage your lower unit.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,765 Captain
    I agree, also you would be surprised if you don't take the boat out of gear the net may damage your lower unit.

Lol. I do this with my trolling motor all the friggin time.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters