fuel nozzle in a rod holder ?

squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
Boat fire shuts down Tom Thumb store

A boat caught fire after its owner mistakenly pumped gas into the bilge instead of the gas tank. Neighboring homes were evacuated for a short time and the store is closed for an undetermined amount of time.

The 25 foot Seapro was parked at the gas pumps at the Tom Thumb store at the 102.6 mm at 10 a.m. Saturday. The boat’s owner was fueling it when he realized gas was pouring from the drains at the back of the boat. He quickly plugged the drains to keep more gas from spilling out.

Key Largo Fire responded along with Sheriff’s deputies.
The store was evacuated and Tow Boat U.S. was called to respond and empty the approximately 100 gallons of fuel from the boat. The job was about 90% finished when the remaining gas ignited.

As the fire department worked to contain the fire and keep it from escalating, deputies evacuated surrounding homes and businesses. The fire was contained a short time later. The Fire Marshal responded and will be investigating.

The Tom Thumb store remains closed due to damage from the fire

please tell me this:

how does a person mistake a rod holder for the fuel fill ??

seriously ? if you're that stupid,you sure shouldn't have a boat !

anyone ever see a rod holder marked "gas" "diesel" "fuel" ??

anyone ever seen a fuel fill marked "rod holder" ??

the pure stupidity people exhibit actually fascinates me
can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
:wink

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    I had a gas station attendant do that once. went in to use the bathroom and when i got out gas was pouring out of the scupper as the rod holder opened to the deck. The guy thought he was helping me out.
    Its like they say, "you cant fix stupid"

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    + it was E-10.....:blowkiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I have a buddy that did that once, it is not as hard as you think, the gas fill hole was in close proximity to the rod holder and standing on the ground alongside the boat, not in the boat, it is difficult to tell the two apart. when your gunnel is above eye level you could do it too. I have never done it but I bet it happens a lot.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    surfman wrote: »
    I have a buddy that did that once, it is not as hard as you think, the gas fill hole was in close proximity to the rod holder and standing on the ground alongside the boat, not in the boat, it is difficult to tell the two apart. when your gunnel is above eye level you could do it too. I have never done it but I bet it happens a lot.

I can tell you,with no hesitation : I've never done that,and EVERYONE I know,who owns a boat has never done that either....
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 528 Officer
    This happens way too often, so it must be easier to do than we'd expect. I'm guessing it's mostly folks new to boats or "helpful" non-boating friends or folks who started drinking a few days earlier.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 664 Officer
    It's still true - you can't fix stupid!
    This happens way too often, so it must be easier to do than we'd expect. I'm guessing it's mostly folks new to boats or "helpful" non-boating friends or folks who started drinking a few days earlier.

unfortunately - there's a large amount of people on this planet that lack a trait we all refer to as "common sense"....

these are the very people warning labels are created for - these are usually the same people who do the most stupid thing known to mankind,and then consult a lawyer to help them blame someone else for their actions...

again,how ANYONE could do something as asinine as putting a fuel nozzle in a rod holder,remains a mystery to me...you can make every excuse possible - bottom line,that person was a complete idiot !
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 185 Deckhand
    unfortunately - there's a large amount of people on this planet that lack a trait we all refer to as "common sense"....

these are the very people warning labels are created for - these are usually the same people who do the most stupid thing known to mankind,and then consult a lawyer to help them blame someone else for their actions...

again,how ANYONE could do something as asinine as putting a fuel nozzle in a rod holder,remains a mystery to me...you can make every excuse possible - bottom line,that person was a complete idiot !

I have to agree.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    It is easier then then you think and I know expienced people that have done it. Granted they caught it after only 5 gallons. The person I know took the fuel cap off went to set the pump got distracted by idle conversation with the person at the other pump and turned around and inserted it into the chrome rod holder and not the chrome fuel fill. It happens and we see a few stories about it every year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,405 Moderator
    surfman wrote: »

Yep. Exactly what happened to me many years ago. No beers involved but dog tired at the end of the day. Heard splashing that was abnormal for typical fueling and caught it right away.

It's good to see we have a few perfect Jesus-esque disciples that have NEVER made a mistake on the forum. Call me stupid or senseless if you like. I honestly couldn't care less. :shrug
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Fletch wrote: »
    Yep. Exactly what happened to me many years ago. No beers involved but dog tired at the end of the day. Heard splashing that was abnormal for typical fueling and caught it right away.

It's good to see we have a few perfect Jesus-esque disciples that have NEVER made a mistake on the forum. Call me stupid or senseless if you like. I honestly couldn't care less. :shrug
    Well said. We all have brain lapses. Like none have never forgotten the drain plug or to bring the boat keys.

It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,043 Moderator
    century7 wrote: »
    Well said. We all have brain lapses. Like none have never forgotten the drain plug or to bring the boat keys.

This ^^ . Not sayin' I've ever done any of that :rolleyes..

P.S. "is the plug in ?" is NOT a dumb question..
    "You'll get your weather"
    :liarI've never done any of those things:liar

I was referring to my gas station attendant, who had no business trying to fuel my boat.

wasn't saying all circumstances are the equal to my own.

I still carry spare garboard drain plugs in the truck, cause it easy to take off with them sitting on the lower unit.
    I've even lent them out at the ramp to help out a fellow boater.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    NEVER did the fuel nozzle in the rod holder - NO ONE I know has either...

but....

few years ago - I launched a customer's 17 mako - we were taking it on a test run.when I hopped back in the truck to pull away from the ramp - the hull plug was on the seat - I laughed !!
    walked down the dock,after I parked the truck,swinging it on my finger - owner asked me "what's that" ? told him it was his hull plug - he laughed,as the auto bilge pump kicked on - told him "now you know the bilge pumps works"

no one's jesus-esque...just can't figure out how anyone could use a rod holder as a fuel fill...

never forget the keys to my boat - they're in the ignition,that way I don't forget them...

I've always told customers - don't give me your keys - leave them in the ignition,when you're dropping off the boat - i'll lose them...

i'm not good with keys - I always lose them - that's why I have 2 of every Yamaha key,suzuki key and merc keys
    no one's jesus-esque...just can't figure out how anyone could use a rod holder as a fuel fill...

It was pretty clearly explained above and I quoted it as that was exactly how it happened to me. When you're standing on the ground next to a boat that's on a trailer, the gunnels of which are at or above eye-level, fuel fillers and rod holders appear as a thin 1/4" - 3/8" section of metal above the fiberglass gunnel. They both occupy about the same foot print and I've never seen a fuel fill that was labeled on the side of the fill. If you have a rod holder in close proximity to a fuel fill, all it takes is a distraction at the right moment.

I learned from my mistake. Anytime I fueled after that, I put the fuel fill cap in the adjacent rod holder at the instant I removed it so it prevented me from making the same mistake again.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."

It was pretty clearly explained above and I quoted it as that was exactly how it happened to me. When you're standing on the ground next to a boat that's on a trailer, the gunnels of which are at or above eye-level, fuel fillers and rod holders appear as a thin 1/4" - 3/8" section of metal above the fiberglass gunnel. They both occupy about the same foot print and I've never seen a fuel fill that was labeled on the side of the fill. If you have a rod holder in close proximity to a fuel fill, all it takes is a distraction at the right moment.

I learned from my mistake. Anytime I fueled after that, I put the fuel fill cap in the adjacent rod holder at the instant I removed it so it prevented me from making the same mistake again.

you've got no chain on the fuel fill cap ? never seen a chain on a fuel fill cap,long enough to allow the cap to be placed in a near by rod holder...
    you've got no chain on the fuel fill cap ? never seen a chain on a fuel fill cap,long enough to allow the cap to be placed in a near by rod holder...

I've never had a chain on a fuel fill cap and would likely remove it if I bought a boat that did as they always seem to get in the way. I'm approaching (maybe even exceeded) 2,000+ trips offshore and have in excess of 5,000 dives under my belt. But that wasn't always the case. I made mistakes along the way just like anyone else has likely done. There's really nothing left to debate here from my perspective. It happened to me and I admitted it for the world to see. It's happened to others and it will likely happen to many more. I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't see how easy a mistake it would be to make given the clear description of the scenarios presented above. :shrug

I've never had a chain on a fuel fill cap and would likely remove it if I bought a boat that did as they always seem to get in the way. I'm approaching (maybe even exceeded) 2,000+ trips offshore and have in excess of 5,000 dives under my belt. But that wasn't always the case. I made mistakes along the way just like anyone else has likely done. There's really nothing left to debate here from my perspective. It happened to me and I admitted it for the world to see. It's happened to others and it will likely happen to many more. I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't see how easy a mistake it would be to make given the clear description of the scenarios presented above. :shrug

guess that chain sticking out of the fuel fill neck,holding the cap - guess that wouldn't be a dead give away huh ?

never heard of anyone removing the chain on a fuel fill cap ?
    I get it. You just like to be combative and argumentative. Whatever dude...

I get it. You just like to be combative and argumentative. Whatever dude...

what ???

i'm asking a question - that's combative ? that's argumentative ?
    I've tried explaining it to you multiple times and you've responded in a snide and condescending tone each time. Hell, you opened the thread with your first post in that manner.

I'll have my 3 year old draw a picture for you when I get home later.

I've tried explaining it to you multiple times and you've responded in a snide and condescending tone each time. Hell, you opened the thread with your first post in that manner.

I'll have my 3 year old draw a picture for you when I get home later.

well - the way I see it :

if someone is dumb enough to use a rod holder as a fuel fill - and make that kind of mess,they deserve to be publically humiliated

fuel fill caps have a chain or a strap to the cap,from the deck plate - keeps the cap with the deck plate...kinda makes a little sense huh ?

I suggest you pay attention to stuff I type - you'll learn a great deal from it,instead of attempting to argue and insult someone..."jesus-esque"...

now,if ANYTHING I've typed appears "combative",or "argumentative" - you're reading into that...

arguing with someone on the internet,is kind of stupid...

how's that diagrahm coming along ?
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,139 Officer
    Merry Christmas to all
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    I've had boats with and without a chain on the cap. So to me its six of one, half dozen of the other.
    With the number of times as a parts manager, I've been asked for them, I'd say its more common than you think.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    FS Dan wrote: »
    I've had boats with and without a chain on the cap. So to me its six of one, half dozen of the other.
    With the number of times as a parts manager, I've been asked for them, I'd say its more common than you think.

FSD

getting customer's boats ready,or winterizing/servicing - one of the first things I did,was to check the fill cap - for both the o ring and a chain - either one missing - always replaced

kind of a safety thing,the chain on the cap...the o ring,that goes without saying...
    I always did the Florida Winterizing, Remove KDW tackle, replace with Sailfish Tackle. All set!

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    FS Dan wrote: »
    I always did the Florida Winterizing, Remove KDW tackle, replace with Sailfish Tackle. All set!

FSD

nice !!!!

little different here than jersey - winterizing,shrink wrapping and storage - that's what would be going on now till mid January...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,197 Admiral
    Accidents happen even to the experienced. It happened to my brother in law one morning and he has lots of experience with boats. What counts is how you deal with it afterwards to insure the safety of all around and he handled it like a pro. Squidvicious, I hope you never make a mistake in your life, you seem like you haven't experienced enough in life to realize what life is about yet. I bet you are fairly young. Don't be so critical about a simple mistake. I would be more critical of someone going offshore without the proper safety equipment.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

well - the way I see it :

if someone is dumb enough to use a rod holder as a fuel fill - and make that kind of mess,they deserve to be publically humiliated

fuel fill caps have a chain or a strap to the cap,from the deck plate - keeps the cap with the deck plate...kinda makes a little sense huh ?

I suggest you pay attention to stuff I type - you'll learn a great deal from it,instead of attempting to argue and insult someone..."jesus-esque"...

now,if ANYTHING I've typed appears "combative",or "argumentative" - you're reading into that...

arguing with someone on the internet,is kind of stupid...

how's that diagrahm coming along ?

Humiliated? By you???? :rotflmao

I guess when you're the dock boy for long enough, you learn how to pump gas real good. Congratulations on your achievement and Merry Christmas! :blowkiss

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,456 Officer

little different here than jersey

Yes it sure is................oh and we don't care how ya'll do it in "Jersey"............sooner you figure that out, it might just save you some "deserved public humiliation". :grin

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.