Bait Reports....?

Replies

• T.CovT.Cov Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Checked north Skyway late afternoon Sunday and didn't see much on the finder. Threw once without chumming and got 2 silver perch and a tiny flounder, left after that.
  • Dumb FinDumb Fin Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Was at Fort Desoto Gulf pier yesterday and the wind was taking us out, Water was all murky and couldn't see much or net any bait. I seen some anglers there with greenbacks and they said the white bait was there earlier. They seem to be in and out lately.
  • dcardcar Posts: 126 Officer
    I loaded my well today with ease... launched out of fort desoto ... called dylans mobile bait , he met me at the north pier rest area and waded out to my boat and loaded my well ... all in 5 mins
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand
    ^^^^^^ way to go!
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 948 Officer
    Still no bait at JP 03-08-16
  • Thumper363Thumper363 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Dumb Fin wrote: »
    Was at Fort Desoto Gulf pier yesterday and the wind was taking us out, Water was all murky and couldn't see much or net any bait. I seen some anglers there with greenbacks and they said the white bait was there earlier. They seem to be in and out lately.

Does the pier open at a certain time? If I remember correctly you can get there really early prior to it opening and not have to worry about the guys fishing? Am I correct?
  • Thumper363Thumper363 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    dcar wrote: »
    I loaded my well today with ease... launched out of fort desoto ... called dylans mobile bait , he met me at the north pier rest area and waded out to my boat and loaded my well ... all in 5 mins

Could you PM me or post that guys contact info.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Thumper363 wrote: »
    Could you PM me or post that guys contact info.

I see him on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/Dylanslivebait
  • Capt.JaredCapt.Jared Posts: 164 Officer
    Got bait at the skyway 3/5/16 wasn't easy, but it is getting better by the day. Also got bait way inside the bay off the channel edge where the pelicans were hitting it. Mark it on your bottom machine, throw and hope to hit it. The fish still have't really turn on to bait fully, but it is around. By next week it should be everywhere. Remember if you find the birds you find the bait. 3/8" -1/2" mesh will work as the bait isn't tiny.

Capt.Jared
    Thumper363 wrote: »
    Does the pier open at a certain time? If I remember correctly you can get there really early prior to it opening and not have to worry about the guys fishing? Am I correct?

The pier opens at 6am.
    Few people have told me bait has moved back onto the flats of southshore anyone seen any
  • dhandsdhands Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Anyone got any news on the skyway bait? I have to drive the boat down from UTB so just want to make sure it's in decent numbers before burning the fuel.
    I seen some people with white bait around the piers (skyway and fort desoto) but they seem to come earlier in the morning and in small numbers. But as the windy conditions die down this week and the weather stays warm. You shouldn't have a problem especially on a boat.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Tuesday AM incoming tide about 8-9 am. Large schools of bait breaking surface. Sabki a couple 6" thread fin. At the inlet bridge above Longboat.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand
    Bit was tough yesterday! It's around but not ez. Lots of boats, didn't see many getting bait.
    Bait is getting thicker by the day but boy are they smart! They hang out in odd spots (Under the pier and bridges) and swim DEEP.. It's getting better though. This front should pass by the weekend and make them a little shy again but im sure once everything clears up it'll go back to normal.
  • ShredderShredder Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Anyone locate any pilchards in the area of Clearwater Pass? Are the pilchards on the grass flats yet or around the bridges? Appreciate the help!
  • Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Ft desoto bait is thick and the dolphins are everywhere!! Be careful.
    Shredder wrote: »
    Anyone locate any pilchards in the area of Clearwater Pass? Are the pilchards on the grass flats yet or around the bridges? Appreciate the help!

I heard bait was all over the Sand Key bridge last week.
    Dumb Fin wrote: »
    Bait is getting thicker by the day but boy are they smart! They hang out in odd spots (Under the pier and bridges) and swim DEEP.. It's getting better though. This front should pass by the weekend and make them a little shy again but im sure once everything clears up it'll go back to normal.

Odd spots? That's basically where they always hang out? As the sun comes up the bait goes deeper and into shadows.
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Odd spots? That's basically where they always hang out? As the sun comes up the bait goes deeper and into shadows.

I have found it to be completely the opposite I have tried netting bait before sunrise with little success .. wait until the sun gets up a little and black out the well every time
    I have found it to be completely the opposite I have tried netting bait before sunrise with little success .. wait until the sun gets up a little and black out the well every time

When it's dark check the shadow lines from the street lights. They are almost always there.
    FusionZ06 wrote: »

In my experience, They usually hang out close to the bridge but school so big that you usually never have a problem(like trying to get that net under the bridge and all) but recently it's like the schools are thin and scattered and all literally under the bridge and swimming deep. I usually have a lot of luck when they are distracted like a school of fish scare them around or they hide under something for cover(like seaweed). There was a really bad storm and waves were ridiculous over the weekend. Took advantage and got a good toss at them and filled the bait bucket.
    Loaded up yesterday on the deep markers outside of cockroach.. bait was deep and would not chum up .. letting the net hit bottom was key... got 2 dozen or so per throw, my net is not considered a " heavy net " so im sure with a 2-2.5lb net would do well
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    Loaded up yesterday on the deep markers outside of cockroach.. bait was deep and would not chum up .. letting the net hit bottom was key... got 2 dozen or so per throw, my net is not considered a " heavy net " so im sure with a 2-2.5lb net would do well

2-2.5lbs?
  • CaptnCaptn Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I get a lot of tips here from everyone so figured I'd give my report. Went to skyway today around sunrise. First time trip for me. Always have heard of bait here year round but haven't tried making the trip from Anna Maria. I wasn't sure exactly what to do or where to go but I sat and watched for a bit and then went in myself. I was on the south east side and what appears to be near a shop on the pier of some kind. Took a few throws to get it right with no chumming but the closer I threw to the pilings the better I did. A few times I came up with a decent catch. Tried some different locations around the boat but near the pilings seemed to be the best trick. Lots of folks out today. A lot of guys just looked like they would throw wherever so not sure I understood their method but after about 90 minutes (I'm kind of new to this) I got my fill and headed in. Enough to get me through a couple days of fishing and enough to get me some keeper trout this afternoon. Thanks to everyone here on the bait reports. It's pretty useful when you are trying to learn the patterns and where to go in the area.
    2-2.5lbs?

2-2.5lb per foot
  • Aaron&NikkiAaron&Nikki Posts: 136 Officer
    Captn wrote: »
    I get a lot of tips here from everyone so figured I'd give my report. Went to skyway today around sunrise. First time trip for me. Always have heard of bait here year round but haven't tried making the trip from Anna Maria. I wasn't sure exactly what to do or where to go but I sat and watched for a bit and then went in myself. I was on the south east side and what appears to be near a shop on the pier of some kind. Took a few throws to get it right with no chumming but the closer I threw to the pilings the better I did. A few times I came up with a decent catch. Tried some different locations around the boat but near the pilings seemed to be the best trick. Lots of folks out today. A lot of guys just looked like they would throw wherever so not sure I understood their method but after about 90 minutes (I'm kind of new to this) I got my fill and headed in. Enough to get me through a couple days of fishing and enough to get me some keeper trout this afternoon. Thanks to everyone here on the bait reports. It's pretty useful when you are trying to learn the patterns and where to go in the area.

Great job! I remember my first trip to the skyway to get bait, so I understand your pain. Believe me it'll get better
  • XpatBubbaXpatBubba Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Ft Desoto "bay pier" is loaded with nice whitebait
  • T.CovT.Cov Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Friday 3/25 found some pilchards at the towers outside of cockroach bay after heavy chumming.

Saturday 3/26 loaded up on threadfins with a few pilchards mixed in berore the sun came up at north skyway no chumming needed. Went back to south skyway mid morning and found good amount of pilchards, chummed a little for them.