Bait Reports....?

17891012

Replies

  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    FishInFL said:
    FishInFL said:
    Anyone mind sharing some spots near Dunedin ramp?  I typically use Seminole and get bait behind sand key but want to find it closer to dunedin ramp to head north. Thx
    The Flat to the south of the Dunedin Causeway has produced well for me this summer. Yesterday was the exception, but I couldn't find bait anywhere. You want to find the transition where it goes from 5-6' to 3. The bait is usually right on the drop. Some mornings there will be a lot of boats right there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,412 Captain
    Any recommendations on where to net/sabiki bait out of Johns pass? Put my new boat up a high and dry inside the pass. Hoping someone could flatten my learning curve!!!
    We were always able to sabiki pins just offshore in about 13' of water. any poles or towers will hold them.
  • Jared1Jared1 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Anyone had any luck finding bait in upper Tampa bay recently. I launch at the CCC ramp
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    I'm not sure where the CCC ramp is, but I'll toss this out.  I've been seeing a ton of bait just south of the howard frankland bridge (during my commute).  It is pretty much all over the place on the south side around and east of the hump.  Haven't seen any on the north side.   No clue what size it is.
  • Jared1Jared1 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    trs912 said:
    I'm not sure where the CCC ramp is, but I'll toss this out.  I've been seeing a ton of bait just south of the howard frankland bridge (during my commute).  It is pretty much all over the place on the south side around and east of the hump.  Haven't seen any on the north side.   No clue what size it is.
    Thanks! it’s the Courtney Campbell causeway ramp, I got lazy with my typing! 
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,412 Captain
    Whenever we launched from CCC we went down to Howard Franklin to find bait.
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    Is anyone finding decent whitebait in upper tampa bay or in the intercoastal caladesi honeymoon area?  Seems like everyone is finding good bait and I'm finding pins.  
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Anyone been to skyway/ft desoto piers recently? 
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Bait at south skyway pier last Saturday was deep and tough to catch probably 25 to 30 boats lined up
  • SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 57 Greenhorn
    Should be wb in 2-6' near flats with water this warm. South FD should have some. 
  • BfiBfi Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Has anyone seen any bait in upper Tampa Bay?
  • QuahogQuahog Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    I've multiple  charter captains throwing nets on the way to work just south of the Howard Franklin Bridge in the middle of the span on the way to work this week. Bait must be in the upper bay.
  • JmurnaneJmurnane Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Anyone finding pinfish or grunts on the flats in tampa bay?
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 975 Officer
    Jmurnane said:
    Anyone finding pinfish or grunts on the flats in tampa bay?
    Pins on the clam bar flats. Have not seen any pinfish west of the Skyway on the flats. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 768 Officer
    Saw plenty of bait - whitebait mixed in with glass minnows on the beach and in the south blind pass inlet last weekend.
  • gmendez694gmendez694 TampaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    You can find pinfish on the grass flats in the bay pretty much year-round.  The whitebait hasn't quite come into the bay yet either.
  • ClearOneClearOne Trinity, FLPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Has anyone found the Blue Runners running around yet?
  • Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 30 Greenhorn
    Anyone seen whitebait in the Apollo beach Hillsborough bay area?
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    There has been bait at the range marker outside beercan
  • PinkMinnowPinkMinnow Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Keeping my boat in Hudson now...so looking for regular spots to hit for bait.  Anyone know specifics?  Thanks!
  • ShredderShredder Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    What's the bait situation in Clearwater Pass / Dunedin Causeway? Heading out in the morning..... Hoping to find some Horse Pilchards!!!!! Anyone been on the flats chumming up Pilchards in either area recently? Appreciate any info...Thanks
  • LongerzbetterLongerzbetter Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Shredder said:
    What's the bait situation in Clearwater Pass / Dunedin Causeway? Heading out in the morning..... Hoping to find some Horse Pilchards!!!!! Anyone been on the flats chumming up Pilchards in either area recently? Appreciate any info...Thanks
    Was on the beach yesterday out of Blinds pass, water clarity was still pretty bad from the front... Couldn't find any baits on the beach, had a bad day of fishing because of that.
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Lots of bait at the skyway fishing pier, But be careful as the pier rats are trying to get the state to make a law that boaters cant cast near the pier. A group of pier rats are getting people to sign a petition to keep boaters away from the piers, I think they would like 100 yrs out to themselfs
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Oh, geez.  That would REALLY suck.  The bait guys would be screwed as well.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,222 AG
    is the bait just that concentrated at the pier?   I've never tried to castnet any bait near the pier but trying to sabiki some up at the skyway is a PIA.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    It can be.  I generally just drive by skyway and if I see it up on top, or lots of birds diving, I'll go for it.  Usually it isn't, but when it is it's easy pickins. I've seen huge schools there before..
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,222 AG
    trs912 said:
    It can be.  I generally just drive by skyway and if I see it up on top, or lots of birds diving, I'll go for it.  Usually it isn't, but when it is it's easy pickins. I've seen huge schools there before..

    Next time I plan on chucking a little mixed up cat food and water to see f i can draw em in for the net. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 229 Deckhand
    I thought they were going to shut down the skyway pier, due to age of it.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,046 Admiral
    On my commute in this morning there appeared to be several large pods of baitfish on the south side of the Howard Franklin.   Makes my commute a little more enjoyable going over it watching the nervous water and fish and birds attcking them.  It probably also makes my commute more dangerous.  :|

    Captain Todd Approves

  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    mplspug said:
    On my commute in this morning there appeared to be several large pods of baitfish on the south side of the Howard Franklin.   Makes my commute a little more enjoyable going over it watching the nervous water and fish and birds attcking them.  It probably also makes my commute more dangerous.  :|
    LOL, I do the same thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.