Home Conservation Front

Will this Gulf of Mexico Headboat Collaborative Pilot Program end or extend?

CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,781 Captain
The Gulf of Mexico Headboat Collaborative Pilot Program was originally announced as a 2 year pilot program set to run Jan.-Dec. of 2014 & 2015.

Has anyone heard if they are going to end it, pause to evaluate it, or have extended it past that time frame?

I have seen nothing on the NOAA automatic email notifications system about it?

Replies

• The Gulf of Mexico Headboat Collaborative Pilot Program was originally announced as a 2 year pilot program set to run Jan.-Dec. of 2014 & 2015.

Has anyone heard if they are going to end it, pause to evaluate it, or have extended it past that time frame?

I have seen nothing on the NOAA automatic email notifications system about it?

They are probably hoping people forgot about the end date so as to just let it slide on as usual. Then again, EDF received grant money to "Evaluate" the "Success" of the scheme, so should be little surprise when the special interest laden council recommends the scheme extended or even expanded. I had emailed John Barnard (been several months ago, so think that was who) about this and naturally no answer.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,360 Moderator
    What a joke.

I put this right up there with medical marijuana: You get a million bucks because I say so, and you sir... you get nothing. Now be quiet and play nice!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,585 Captain
    I think this is what AM 41 and 42 are all about - they want to implement a program for the charter and headboats modeled after the headboat efp. They can implement an IFQ program without calling it an IFQ program - many of the EDF-funded shills are claiming they are not for IFQs, but they support AMs 41 and 42 (as usual, saying one thing, but doing another).

The MSA calls for a referendum wherever IFQs are implemented. What they did in the headboat efp was to give the headboat cooperative the fish allocated to the efp, then Randy Boggs and his wife decided how to divvy up the fish between the 17 boats in the cooperative, by converting the poundage of red snapper into numbers of fish. So, in effect, each boat gets its IFQ without the cumbersome requirement of holding a referendum. For example, one headboat in Galveston got 8,779 red snapper to catch for the 2014 season - FAR exceeding its capacity based on the year that the quantity of fish was determined to give the efp. They were able to fish any day they wanted from January 1, 2014 all the way into September or October, while the rest of us got to fish 9 consecutive days.

Nine days vs nine months.

If AMs 41 and 42 are implemented, we can expect a similar outcome for the private recs here in the Gulf - a program that depends on SEGREGATION so that they can implement DISCRIMINATION based on arbitrary parameters set forth by some EDF-funded bureaucrat. And here I thought Segregation and Discrimination were illegal under federal law, but not only are they here in our Gulf fisheries, they are being actively promoted by our FEDERAL FISHERIES MANAGERS!

That's the plan for AMs 41 and 42 - a plan which is TOTALLY dependent on AM 40 (Sector Separation) to implement.

Strange, since again, most of the EDF-funded shills claimed that AM 40 had NOTHING to do with Catch Shares (again, misrepresenting the truth). Also strange that the Gulf Council would be looking to implement 2 new programs which REQUIRE AM 40 when AM 40 was declared to go away in about 12-1/2 months when they passed it last year (again, saying one thing, but their intent is to the opposite).