Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge Lite 11-19

So Wednesday morning I checked the weather and to my astonishment it looked great for the weekend. I went to the new YC website to see if there was a trip over the weekend with some room. Turns out there was plenty of room on a Pulley Ridge Lite trip leaving Thursday evening. The '"lite" part means the trip will be spent on the ridge or right on the edge of it focusing on depths from 220-400 or so. No electrics needed just hand cranking on this PR trip. It was a no brainer for me. I called and reserved my spot, made some arrangements at work and took off Thursday morning.
After loading up I was in in my bunk asleep by 730! How awesome is that?! Woke up at 530 and was told we still had another hour and a half so I put out a wahoo lure on the troll. There were four of us trolling but no strikes. It was kinda lifeless on top. No weeds or flyers at all. At 730 we were finally there and we started our first drift. I always get a kick out of the guys who don't listen to instructions from the capt or the mates on how to rig up or present their bait. If you do one of these trips keep in mind we will be drifting. You have to be prepared, read the "what to bring" section on the website. Once there take advice. I saw some of the craziest tangles I've ever seen just because guys didn't hook on their baits correctly. They would be dragging a big bait that was whirly birding for a 1/4 mile twisting there line into things unimaginable haha. Anyway long leaders and bank sinkers are the norm or fish a heavy bucktail tipped with bait. Some guys fished butterfly style jigs too.
The catching came quick as we had a really good bite to start on the first drift. Monster red groupers and scamps, blackfin snappers, muttons and monster porgies, and beautiful queen triggers were coming up along with big alamaco jacks and AJs. Unfortunately some of these fish had to be released but oh well.
This pretty much continued all day until the sun set. Once night came around the bite really died off. Everyone was waiting for the schools of black fin tuna that usually show up to make their presence known. I turned in at 7 cause there wasn't much action. I woke up every hour or so and listened for the familiar sound of tuna tails beating the deck but never heard any so I crashed until midnight. I woke up to see a few fish in the tote but the tunas really never got going. Maybe 10 or so the whole trip.
Next day as the sun rose the bite picked up. More of the same from the day before. One thing about these PR shoal fish is they are remarkably colorful. You will never see prettier fish. At some point the second day Greg announced we would be making a short move to little deeper water as we had great conditions. We started a drift in 250 but we would be dropping off to 400 by the end of it. Right away muttons and black fin snappers were coming up. (btw one mutton from 350'! I didn't really know they went that deep) Then a monster gag, then another. I got into the action with a gag around 20 lbs. Then it was jack pandemonium for a while. Aj's and alamacos. Meanwhile I'm screwing around with a 50+ jack when I see mates Matt and Bryan bringing back yellow edge groupers and some beautiful queen snappers back to the box. I look down the rail and there are no less than 10 rods doubled over at once. Everyone was bringing up huge queens!! I get rid of the jack and end up getting 4 queens myself on that drift. We ended up doing two more drifts before calling it a trip. I got two more queen snappers per drift for a total of 8! It was a sight to be seen and something I swear I'll never forget.
Big fish pool was won by Jarbas (yeah go figure :)) with a 60ish Warsaw grouper.
Another great job by Greg and his crew!!!

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 1,007 Officer
    Great report, sounds like an epic trip. Man am I bummed. I looked at that trip but was scheduled for the Pulley Ridge trip on the 30th. Figured I couldn't afford both. You guys hit it just right and the Pulley trip was cancelled. :kick Oh well sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear..... I should have chosen the Pulley "Lite" trip. I just did some research on Japanese "slow pitch" Jigging, built a rod, bought a new reel and some slow pitch jigs just for jigging on the bank. I even read that Kil Song was on that trip. I could have picked his brain about slow pitch jigging. :Horse If you ever figure out Jarbas' secret let me know. :shrug Man that guy is good, seems like he is always top hook. :hail
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Wow, that's a bunch of queen snappers! Wish I was there.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 845 Officer
    Nice. Thanks for the report.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 850 Officer
    Thanks for a writing a report Dudley.

No doubt as we progress with these trips we will be seeing more special catches like this. These grounds have been untouched by rec anglers. The potential is incredible and the Yankee Capts will be right there to take full advantage of it.

Greg
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Looks like one of those trips of a lifetime!!! Awesome Job out there. Sharing is caring :thumbsup
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • Knot AwakeKnot Awake Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Looks like a nice trip!! Can't wait to go in March!!
  • jt5691jt5691 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Dudley....Stud Queen Snappers. Waiting on your report from your trip with Capt Shane this week.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,099 Officer
    WOW!! :hairraiser stud queens for sure!!! sounds like a ton of fun.... congrats on the memories!!
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 238 Deckhand
    A lot of slaying there Dudley, impressed on those chunky Queens. Hot days and slow nights this round on the bank, usually the opposite??
  • Knot AwakeKnot Awake Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    I'm headed out there in March. Any Jigs work better than another, I picked up a couple bucktails and some diamond jigs as suggested on the website and I will probably be drifting bait with bank sinkers like the Capt suggests, but I would like to have a few jigs to change it up once in a while.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Love the queens!!

Great Report!

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,007 Officer
    Knot Awake - I have seen all sorts of jigs work. Though the main ones I have seen people using with success are the Shimano style knife jigs, Diamond jigs, and bucktails. I was on a couple trips where the bucktails tipped with a white grub or worm worked real well. For the black fins I seem to have better luck using smaller rather then larger jigs.