First Yankee Capts Next Weekend... Jigging?

Hi Guys,

I'm going on my first Yankee Capts trip next weekend 12/4/15 for their 2.5 day Mutton Marathon. Flying in from Chicago Thursday and can't wait! I have a few questions.

How many of you guys have tried vertical jigging out in the dry tortugas and did you have any sucess? I love vertical jigging whether it's just pounding bottom for big snapper or grouper or ripping through water columns for black fin. I'm planning on bringing a bunch of jigs so I hope it's not frowned upon on that boat.

Weather report is calling for 3-5 ft seas and 15-20mph wind throughout the weekend. What are the chances that the captain will cancel the trip? I have a lot of money and planning into this trip and would really be bummed if they won't go out in 3-5 ft seas. I guess I'll find out sooner than later but am just curious as to what other people have seen in past experiences.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mac53Mac53 Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Frankb,

Please call the Yankee Captain. All of the Dec runs have been put on hold. Hate to see you come that far for nothing!

Mac
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,041 Officer
    I agree with Mac53, better call them to find out the status of the 12/04 trip. They had to cancel the 11/30 trip because of an engine issue.

They will go out in 3-5 ft but 12/04 is still a week out and the weather can change a lot in that time. I've gone on their trips a number of times and one thing I can tell you is that the Capt will make the right call when it comes to weather. If he doesn't want to be out there, I don't either.

As far as jigging, I don't think there is a problem but as a courtesy I would try to find an open spot away from anyone fishing bait for mutton. Mutton are pretty finicky and there is nothing more frustrating then trying to quietly fish your bait on the bottom and have someone throwing next to you with a jig or chicken rig.

Just saw this. If you go to the Bloody Decks website their is a report about jigging on their last Pulley Ridge "Lite" trip. The first couple entries are about a trip in the Carolinas, later in the thread there is a post about the Yankee Capts trip.

www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/jigging-popping/

Thread - Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rod testing trip for a week
  • FrankbFrankb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to call them in the morning. Flight, hotels and rental car has all been booked so if we don't get out on Yankee we'll get out fishing some other way.

Thanks for posting that link, looks like I'll be able to get into some fish using jigs.

Are there any other party boats worth going out on that anyone could recommend in case the Yankee cancels?
  • jt5691jt5691 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Frankb wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to call them in the morning. Flight, hotels and rental car has all been booked so if we don't get out on Yankee we'll get out fishing some other way.

Thanks for posting that link, looks like I'll be able to get into some fish using jigs.

Are there any other party boats worth going out on that anyone could recommend in case the Yankee cancels?

Hi Frank, There are no other long range party boats in the keys that do the Tortugas run. There are plenty of private charters and 6 pack boats such as Two Fish Charters (Capt Yuri), Majestic Charters (Capt Steve Sanchez), Andy Grifiths Charters ( Eddie Grifith) Ask for Shane as your Captain. All these you can find on the internet as they all have web pages. You also have Billy Delph and Rob Hammer as private charters that are also Tortugas Experts. I fish With Yuri all the time and vertical jigging is very successful when targeting Muttons, Red Grouper and especially Big Black Grouper this time of year. Blackfin Tunas also love them...Good Luck.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 379 Deckhand
    i thought rob hammer cant do charters anymore.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 913 Officer
    Lots of half truths here guys.

I have the CAT guys coming down Monday to check out my engine. Trip was cancelled because of the lack of fares. Weekend trip is on hold because it is full.

Rob Hammer can still do charters. Best to call him and find out his schedule.

Greg
  • FrankbFrankb Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Lots of half truths here guys.

I have the CAT guys coming down Monday to check out my engine. Trip was cancelled because of the lack of fares. Weekend trip is on hold because it is full.

Rob Hammer can still do charters. Best to call him and find out his schedule.

Greg

Thanks Captain Greg,

So to clarify, if we already have a spot booked we are good to go for the 12/4 trip?
    Frankb wrote: »
    Thanks Captain Greg,

So to clarify, if we already have a spot booked we are good to go for the 12/4 trip?

Depending on the weather and what my mechanics say. If you have a reservation then wait to hear from my office. They are in charge of reservations. That will be Monday at the earliest.

Greg
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Out of good faith and to earn the respect of the ghost that roam this ship, I will give you a secret. Listen well, and do as i say. Leave in your cooler on the top floor, 5lbs of pure fresh roast beef cuts-boars head. Leave a note: To the protector of all fishermen!

My fishing brother, Herb, has done plenty of trips and can give you the heads up on these trip if you are gonna jig. Good luck!

http://cudamanadventures.com/2015/07/22/pulley-ridge-lite-a-jig-and-bait-adventure/
    Rare wrote: »
    Out of good faith and to earn the respect of the ghost that roam this ship, I will give you a secret. Listen well, and do as i say.

Leave in your cooler on the top floor, 5lbs of pure fresh roast beef cuts-boars head. Leave a note: To the protector of all fishermen!

I just blew my coffee all over the computer. That is some funny stuff.

FYI his statement about listening is correct. You would be amazed how many people choose not to listen. Those who listen to us catch, lots. Those that don't listen, don't catch. Very simple. Alas we see it it every trip.

Greg
  • otdrzmn04otdrzmn04 Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Was wanting to do a pulley ridge lite trip this yr put they only had one in march and october. Those mnths were are busy at work so we are renting a boat in marathon and hitting the reefs and wrecks again this summer. Hope the trip works out for you!
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,041 Officer
    otdrzmn04 - you might want to check with the Yankee Capts office I think they added another Pulley Lite trip to their schedule.
  • mjg3mjg3 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    yes they did on the 21st and I'm on it!!! cant wait!!