Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Watching them chase in West Pasco

David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
We live near a county owned Nature Preserve that prohibits entry. We can travel around a good portion of it by county roads though.
Just this past week, the Mrs. and I went for a ride to look for deer, hogs, turkeys or whatever. She calls it "our nature rides". Well anyway.

We noticed several Does feeding under the oaks less than a hundred yards from the road. Traffic is whizzing past as we sat on the side of the road. I noticed a larger deer, darker in color standing in some thicker vegetation. A Doe scurries away from the edge and a nice buck follows her with his head down, sampling the air. He continued to chase her for a few minutes. This was a first for the Mrs. (city girl). I eased back on the road and moved less than a 1/4 of a mile. We were looking across a 200 yard opening back into the woods. Out steps a really nice main frame 8pt within 15 yards of the fence. He could care less about us. Neck swollen and posturing. He was headed towards the others. I bleated twice and then grunted. His ears dropped and the hair rose up. I had to laugh. The wife was sitting there excited like a youngster.
I drove past the same spot yesterday around 1 pm. Three bucks and better than a half dozen Does were in the same patch of oaks.
More chasing than I could stand to watch.
Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.

Replies

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    I watched 3 bucks dog a doe back and forth over the fence on my way to work one morning on SR 54 in early December years ago.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    While coming home SOuth on the suncoast , there was a monster with a single doe standing out in the Bexley ranch about 10 days ago. Had no trouble seeing his head gear at several hundred yards. Word on the street is the Bexley ranch has been sold and will be developed soon....